Thread: Sgt Reckless

Default Sgt Reckless

Reckless, the mare.

This horse was a packhorse during the Korean war, and she carried recoilless rifles, ammunition and supplies to Marines. Nothing too unusual about that, lots of animals got pressed into doing pack chores in many wars.

But this horse did something more..during the battle for a location called Outpost Vegas, this mare made 50 trips up and down the hill, on the way up she carried ammunition, and on the way down she carried wounded soldiers.

What was so amazing? Well she made every one of those trips without anyone leading her.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Outstanding history lesson! I never would have known. Thank you for bringing that to me. Lots of small parts in history, and in life, never become known.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm glad Sgt. Reckless did not die in battle but was afforded a longer quality life in retirement. If only she could talk.

dogs have done their part to. in all our wars

some just survive

"After the smoke of battle had cleared on Betio Island, Tarawa, this tiny kitten crept out from beneath a wrecked Japanese tank, to receive a drink from a U.S. Marine." Tawara Invasion, November 1943

how this little guy survived all that hell is incredible !!
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]