Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Chiefs release Winston

Default Chiefs release Winston

This comes as a surprise to me. I thought he did well last year, and his contract wasn't too big I thought.

Per PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-eric-winston/

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    The final say ultimately IS his. If he doesn't want to play LT, he doesn't HAVE to. There would definitely be consequences to that action, such as the one you pointed out, but if he thinks he's damaging his career by making that switch, he doesn't HAVE to play.
    The final say is only his if he doesn't sign the tender. Once he inks the dotted line, then the final say is no longer his.

Personally, I hope they do trade him & recoup at least one of those picks that they are said to be giving up for Alex Smith. One of the most foolish moves this franchise has ever made was putting him at LT after they drafted him, instead of plugging him into one of the Guard slots as Albert was a Guard in both high school and college. Now he thinks he's a top 5 LT warranting top 5 LT pay, when he's not.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    The final say is only his if he doesn't sign the tender. Once he inks the dotted line, then the final say is no longer his.

Personally, I hope they do trade him & recoup at least one of those picks that they are said to be giving up for Alex Smith. One of the most foolish moves this franchise has ever made was putting him at LT after they drafted him, instead of plugging him into one of the Guard slots as Albert was a Guard in both high school and college. Now he thinks he's a top 5 LT warranting top 5 LT pay, when he's not.
    Maybe you can explain to me why Albert is G and not a LT. Last two seasons he is one of the best in pass protection, the main attribute in a LT. I really don't care what he was doing before, could have been playing cards, tennis or studying ancient languages, what I car is what he's good at and what he's no.
    Albert isn't elite in run blocking, but I don't want a LT that blocks but doesn't protect.
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

Quote Originally Posted by pojote View Post
    Maybe you can explain to me why Albert is G and not a LT. Last two seasons he is one of the best in pass protection, the main attribute in a LT. I really don't care what he was doing before, could have been playing cards, tennis or studying ancient languages, what I car is what he's good at and what he's no.
    Albert isn't elite in run blocking, but I don't want a LT that blocks but doesn't protect.
    Branden played Guard at Virginia. D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Eugene Monroe were the LT's during his time there. Not saying BA is not a LT, it's just that Guard was his position in college. Albeit between two pretty good LT's during his tenure at Virginia

If we are drafting a tackle, I hope like hell we are trading back. No tackle is worth 1.1
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

The last 2 seasons, Albert hasn't exactly faced elite pass-rushers on a steady basis. He didn't even play against Denver last year. With Albert's long-term future being uncertain, if the Chiefs can't trade back & I don't believe they will be able to, they'd be utter fools not to take Joeckel or Fisher. Albert doesn't care about the Chiefs winning, all he cares about is getting a big fat contract that he does not deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    If we are drafting a tackle, I hope like hell we are trading back. No tackle is worth 1.1
    You mean just like no Safety is worth drafting #5 overall & yet they did that in 2010, instead of taking the Tackle (Okung) who's become an All-Pro and if the the Chiefs had taken that Tackle, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion about drafting a Tackle at #1 this year, now would we?

And no, that isn't hindsight. This was discussed to death at kcchiefs.com prior to that pick being made in 2010 & I listed a slew of reasons why taking Berry over Okung was a huge mistake if they did that. Quite naturally, it was met with the "p!ss on our own heads and tell ourselves it's raining" type of responses, as well as the flames from the proverbial cop-out artists who "couldn't attack the message, so attack the messenger"

Now here they are in 2013 & probably stuck at #1 with nobody wanting to trade with them & the possibilities of taking a Tackle at #1 are very strong. Kind of come full circle regarding that 2010 choice, now hasn't it?

The last 2 seasons, Albert hasn't exactly faced elite pass-rushers on a steady basis. He didn't even play against Denver last year. With Albert's long-term future being uncertain, if the Chiefs can't trade back & I don't believe they will be able to, they'd be utter fools not to take Joeckel or Fisher. Albert doesn't care about the Chiefs winning, all he cares about is getting a big fat contract that he does not deserve.
    Who had faced elite pass-rushers on a steady basis? I just want to know to compare, maybe I'm just biased and numbers lies.
    This doesn't explains why move him to guard, just that he isn't very good at LT. As far as I know those are totally different positions to play, different skill set needed, and I'm not sure that Albert could be a good guard.
    The best Chilean fan.

Branden Albert is a good LT. But he doesn't have the capability to be elite like Joekel and Fischer do. I think he's adequate at LT for the kind of offense Reid will run... but only at a contact that pays him at a "good" level LT and not as an "elite" level LT. I'm just fine with keeping Albert at LT as long as he's willing to play for a contract similar to the one the Chiefs got Winston to sign last season. Anything more than that and the "albatross" term starts to come in to play. I'd rather have a younger, potentially elite LT at $4M/yr than Albert at $8-10M/yr. The money saved could be used in free agency to fill holes elsewhere.

Who had faced elite pass-rushers on a steady basis? I just want to know to compare, maybe I'm just biased and numbers lies.
    This doesn't explains why move him to guard, just that he isn't very good at LT. As far as I know those are totally different positions to play, different skill set needed, and I'm not sure that Albert could be a good guard.
    Russell Okung in 2012, for one. He faced Aldon Smith twice, Robert Quinn twice, Calais Campbell once, Clay Matthews, Jared Allen, Julius Peppers, Chandler Jones, Ryan Kerrigan, John Abraham, Cameron Wake and handled all of them <-- that's a good portion of the best the game has to offer right there. To think the Chiefs could have drafted him.

Don't worry, though, it's been reported the Chiefs are trying to negotiate a long term deal with Albert. But if he's wanting 8 - 10 million a year, then he can take a hike. Chiefs are going to conduct a private workout with Joeckel on March 22. It's said that they see possibilities with him at RT as well as LT & if he could play both sides, his value increases.

The days of #1 being have to pick certain guy is over!! Pick BPA no matter the position. We better keep DJ..

Russell Okung in 2012, for one. He faced Aldon Smith twice, Robert Quinn twice, Calais Campbell once, Clay Matthews, Jared Allen, Julius Peppers, Chandler Jones, Ryan Kerrigan, John Abraham, Cameron Wake and handled all of them <-- that's a good portion of the best the game has to offer right there. To think the Chiefs could have drafted him.

Don't worry, though, it's been reported the Chiefs are trying to negotiate a long term deal with Albert. But if he's wanting 8 - 10 million a year, then he can take a hike. Chiefs are going to conduct a private workout with Joeckel on March 22. It's said that they see possibilities with him at RT as well as LT & if he could play both sides, his value increases.
    I'm not against improvement, and I think we can get better at LT, but can get worse, a lot worse. One thing I'm against is moving Albert to G, I don't think he can be good at it, lacks run blocking abilities. It could be better to trade him to play LT, a few teams could improve with him and he can be payed as he wants to.
    The best Chilean fan.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345