Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs release Winston

Default Chiefs release Winston

This comes as a surprise to me. I thought he did well last year, and his contract wasn't too big I thought.

Per PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-eric-winston/

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Unless the Chiefs are ready to promote Stephenson and Allen to starting spots on the O-Line, I think this move puts to bed any speculation that the Chiefs will trade Branden Albert. There's no way this team can afford to put itself in the position of needing to fill 3 spots on the starting O-Line. The only way this move makes sense to me is if Stephenson is already the new RT.
    I don't think Stephenson will be the new RT. But, Allen has possibilities there, as he played there quite a bit in college. Even Albert could be kicked over there, regardless if he says he doesn't want to play anything but LT, the final say isn't his. He'll go where he's told, assuming he signs his tender, at least for this year.

either way albert needs to man up and do whatever is asked of him to help the team win

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Really? I had heard it was 6 sacks, but no matter, it wasn't fine enough for Dorsey and Reid as they are said to save 3.5 million in cap space. Besides, he probably wasn't a good fit in Reid's new Offense that he's going to be implementing and they probably feel that Joeckel or Fisher will fit better, in addition to being the best available players on the draft board.

And besides, Albert's long-term future with the Chiefs is a big question mark.

Well it's only 700k in cap and they take a big hit with cash. Anyways it doesn't matter as it's being reported that he is seriously injured.

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    Well it's only 700k in cap and they take a big hit with cash. Anyways it doesn't matter as it's being reported that he is seriously injured.
    Where are you getting your info from? This source here says it's 3.5 million:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...as-city-chiefs

This team hasn't spent too much money in free agency. All the big contracts on this team are rookie deals and would impact the cap negatively if they were cut. There may be some turnover throughout this summer, but I don't think we're going to see a huge turnover because there are a bunch of under-developed players who shouldn't be given up on yet... like Tyson Jackson. I wouldn't expect too many more moves like this outside of Matt Cassel.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Where are you getting your info from? This source here says it's 3.5 million:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...as-city-chiefs
    This source says $700k.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-eric-winston/

Winston's contract was a very fair contract in terms of salary. Whether we save 700k or 3.5mm, it wasn't a salary cap move. It could be because of an injury concern, but I doubt it. I think this is probably a combo of three things:
    1. Winston isn't the greatest pass blocker. We will be passing more frequently under Andy Reid.
    2. Donald Stephenson. Donald played great in Brandon Albert's absence last year. Stephenson>Winston against pass rush.
    3. Winston picked a fight with the fan base. We has been persona non grata in KC every since. This to a much lesser degree but I still think it figures into the equation when you are trying to sell tickets.

Lastly, Eric Winston was on NFL Radio two weeks ago and said he had thought about the chance that he could be cut if we drafted Luke Joeckel. This didn't come out of left field for Eric. There's probably more to this story that we won't know unless we are in Andy Reid's lockerroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Winston's contract was a very fair contract in terms of salary. Whether we save 700k or 3.5mm, it wasn't a salary cap move. It could be because of an injury concern, but I doubt it. I think this is probably a combo of three things:
    1. Winston isn't the greatest pass blocker. We will be passing more frequently under Andy Reid.
    2. Donald Stephenson. Donald played great in Brandon Albert's absence last year. Stephenson>Winston against pass rush.
    3. Winston picked a fight with the fan base. We has been persona non grata in KC every since. This to a much lesser degree but I still think it figures into the equation when you are trying to sell tickets.

Lastly, Eric Winston was on NFL Radio two weeks ago and said he had thought about the chance that he could be cut if we drafted Luke Joeckel. This didn't come out of left field for Eric. There's probably more to this story that we won't know unless we are in Andy Reid's lockerroom.

I was actually with Winston on this until he threw ALL the fans in attendance under the bus. Clearly not all the fans where cheering that Cassel got hurt.

I'm surprised to see this move as well, but lets keep in mind, that most people especially on here have been crying fowl on how bad the ol is/was. It seems this new management is listening and trying to please and win back the fan base. I personally remember getting upset with Winstons lack of pass protection, thinking he was much better then that. But when you are a one dementional football team it makes it much harder on the OL. I'm still surprised to see this move.

I hadn't thought about this until reading some of the comments, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw either Allen or Stephenson at RT in the fall. I think we will find out their long term plans in a week or two, once FA opens. If they pick up a RT, then they prob are keeping Albert and going to try and use Allen or draft a G/C. This makes me more interested in FA.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast