Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs release Winston

Default Chiefs release Winston

This comes as a surprise to me. I thought he did well last year, and his contract wasn't too big I thought.

Per PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-eric-winston/

This is a perplexing move considering we only save $700,000 in cap space. It definitely appears to point towards us drafting a tackle with the first pick.

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    So we're releasing someone who pretty much did his job to draft another tackle. This doesn't make any sense.
    Pretty much did his job? No he didn't. The false start penalties, the untimely sacks and pressures -- I saw it up close and personal. His pass blocking was unsatisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs fanatic View Post
    This is a perplexing move considering we only save $700,000 in cap space. It definitely appears to point towards us drafting a tackle with the first pick.
    AWWW!!! Are the fantasy football kiddies all going to crap in their diapers if the Chiefs take an O-Lineman at #1 because they can't put him on their fantasy football teams? My heart just bleeds for them -- NOT !!
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 03-06-2013 at 09:14 PM.

WOW How fast things changed in a year
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Pretty much did his job? No he didn't. The false start penalties, the untimely sacks and pressures -- I saw it up close and personal. His pass blocking was unsatisfactory.

AWWW!!! Are the fantasy football kiddies all going to crap in their diapers if the Chiefs take an O-Lineman at #1 because they can't put him on their fantasy football teams? My heart just bleeds for them -- NOT !!

He was a good run blocker and allowed 4 sacks and 25 QB pressures. He had the 8th ranked pass blocking ranking for RTs which is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    He was a good run blocker and allowed 4 sacks and 25 QB pressures. He had the 8th ranked pass blocking ranking for RTs which is fine.
    Really? I had heard it was 6 sacks, but no matter, it wasn't fine enough for Dorsey and Reid as they are said to save 3.5 million in cap space. Besides, he probably wasn't a good fit in Reid's new Offense that he's going to be implementing and they probably feel that Joeckel or Fisher will fit better, in addition to being the best available players on the draft board.

And besides, Albert's long-term future with the Chiefs is a big question mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs fanatic View Post
    no we save 5 million in cap space and let's face it winston was poor against the pass rush

Unless the Chiefs are ready to promote Stephenson and Allen to starting spots on the O-Line, I think this move puts to bed any speculation that the Chiefs will trade Branden Albert. There's no way this team can afford to put itself in the position of needing to fill 3 spots on the starting O-Line. The only way this move makes sense to me is if Stephenson is already the new RT.

good riddance. to many holding calls and jumping offsides on critical downs. take a hike big mouth
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

give it up to winston for handling it with class. not the same can be said about branden albert(this guy better check his attitude real quick) i think stephensen can easily fill in at rt. here are alberts comments posted below..........................

Former Chiefs right tackle Eric Winston has announced via Twitter that he has been released. And a former teammate has said, also on Twitter, that he won’t be taking Winston’s spot in the starting lineup.
    “Just wanted to confirm that I have been released,” Winston said. “Even though it was an incredibly tough year on and off the field last year, I wouldn’t trade the relationships I made in KC and the overall experience I had for anything. I t was an honor to be a Chief and I wish them nothing but the best in the future. . . . On to the next adventure!”
    The next adventure for left tackle Branden Albert apparently won’t include moving to right tackle. Asked by a Twitter follower if he would be willing to move to the right side, Albert said, “Nope.”
    Asked later if Albert is saying that he’s strictly a left tackle, Albert said, “You damn right.”
    Of course, it’s not Albert’s call. If/when he signs the one-year franchise tender, he’ll be required to do what he’s told, or he’ll risk being suspended without pay for conduct detrimental to the team.

Jason LaCanfora is saying there is an injury concern with Winston, IIRC he said major injury concern.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast