Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: ***Official Free Agency Signing Period Thread***

Default ***Official Free Agency Signing Period Thread***

Let's try to keep things all in one place if we can. Moderators want to merge some threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    This is nice, but does he have any experience playing center? We really got lucky with Lilja filling in the way he did, but what happens if Hudson goes down again?
    No, I've never heard anything about Schwartz playing Center and at 6-6 in height, it would probably only happen in a dire emergency, which I hope doesn't happen this year. As far as I know the only other Center on the roster other than Hudson is Bryan Mattison.

Just saw that Jake Long signed a 4-yr 36 million dollar deal with the Rams.

I know im just being greedy now but *i need moreee!!!!!!*

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    I know im just being greedy now but *i need moreee!!!!!!*
    It could happen. It's been quite a contrast between the former GM and the present GM. When Pioli came in, he talked about turning the franchise around and then proceeded to go about it like a docile sheep, but thus far, John Dorsey has gone about it like a ravenous wolf -- as well he should.

Looks like we got a new fullback

Quote Originally Posted by rodu View Post
    Looks like we got a new fullback
    So, you're going to make me look it up aren't you?

Albert for a 2nd this year and next. So, after its all said and done, we'll have traded Branden Albert for Alex Smith. I think I'm ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Albert for a 2nd this year and next. So, after its all said and done, we'll have traded Branden Albert for Alex Smith. I think I'm ok with that.

Yup, and we select Joeckel in the first round to replace Albert.

The Chiefs ended last season with a top 15 LT and the 32nd best QB output in the league. If they pull off the trade of Branden Albert and take a LT #1 overall, they'll have essentially turned their top 15 LT into a top 15 QB and become elite at LT... all for the price of moving down a few spots in the 2nd round... that's some pretty good maneuvering. The Chiefs knew there was no way they were going to become elite at QB through the draft. So, they became elite at the position where they could. Kuddos to Dorsey and co.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    The Chiefs ended last season with a top 15 LT and the 32nd best QB output in the league. If they pull off the trade of Branden Albert and take a LT #1 overall, they'll have essentially turned their top 15 LT into a top 15 QB and become elite at LT... all for the price of moving down a few spots in the 2nd round... that's some pretty good maneuvering. The Chiefs knew there was no way they were going to become elite at QB through the draft. So, they became elite at the position where they could. Kuddos to Dorsey and co.
    I agree with all that, but there is a catch. Is any of the 31 other teams out there going to want to part with a 2nd round pick and pay Albert anything close to the contract that he wants? It's looking very doubtful. Albert still has to prove, not only to the Chiefs brass, but to the other 31 teams as well, that his back is not an issue and that he can hang for a full season. Plus, I'd bet money that none of the other 31 teams view Albert as a top-10 LT, and rightfully so.

Whether Albert stays or goes, the Chiefs best move would be to take either Joeckel ( if they can't trade down ) or Fisher or Johnson ( if they trade down a few slots ). Sure, you could have the scenario in 2013 of Albert playing LT with the 1st year Tackle playing on the right side, but so what? Willie Roaf played RT in his rookie season in 1993 and Jonathan Ogden played Left Guard in his rookie season in 1996.

Believe me, I'm all for trading Albert due to him wanting a big contract that he doesn't warrant & his wanting the Chiefs to guarantee him to be a LT when common sense should tell him and everyone else, that the Chiefs have no obligation whatsoever to guarantee him a LT spot. Getting a 2nd rounder for Albert would be great, but I'll believe it when I see it, due to the reasons stated above.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 03-23-2013 at 01:59 AM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast