Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: jaguars looking into geno smith

Default jaguars looking into geno smith

Jaguars send group to West Virginia Pro Day

Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 13, 2013, 9:03 PM EDT
    Getty ImagesThe Jaguars have the No. 2 pick in April’s draft. And they would seem to be giving the impression of doing every bit of due diligence on West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith, who’s regarded as the top passing prospect available.
    The Jaguars said Wednesday that general manager David Caldwell, head coach Gus Bradley, offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch, senior vice president Tony Khan and player personnel director Terry McDonough will be attending West Virginia’s pro day on Thursday in Morgantown. Per the West Virginia athletics website, every NFL team is expected to have a presence at the pro day.
    The Jaguars are somewhat unsettled at quarterback. Blaine Gabbert has had a challenging first two NFL seasons, and the general manager who drafted him (Gene Smith) is gone. Moreover, Bradley will be Gabbert’s fourth head coach in his short pro career. Likewise, veteran Chad Henne is also a holdover from an old regime. In February, Caldwell told NFL.com that there would be “a wide-open competition” at quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Smith's 1 playoff win is more then Cassel he also had his team on the way back to the playoffs and who knows what he would have done good or bad in the playoffs. Kaepernick had a great run but he was put in a much better spot then Smith was. He was never stuck with Mike Nolan and Mike singletary as head coaches. If he had been in the same spot Smith was in his first few years we don't know what he would have done.

Anther major difference between Cassel and Smith is Cassel never carried over a good run to the fallowing year. Smith did. Is Alex Smith a clear cut superstar cut that's going to take us to the next level no he's not. But he has proven that he can win in the NFL he has shown he can win in the playoffs.Even you have noted that Smith does well in the short passing game. That's what Andy Reid does with his offense. Donovan Mcnabb wasn't airing the ball out. Was he horrible to? His high for YPC was 8.38 that's not even half a yard more then Smith. There's reason to think he could do well. There's reason to question if he will be what we need. But to go on and on about "noddle arm" and "cassel 2.0" just isn't correct Alex Smith is not Matt Cassel PERIOD end of story.

So how on earth can you support/defend sending 2 second round picks to the 49ers? The only thing he has proven is he can win with a tremendously stacked team around him. When he didn't have that he didn't win or play well.

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    So how on earth can you support/defend sending 2 second round picks to the 49ers? The only thing he has proven is he can win with a tremendously stacked team around him. When he didn't have that he didn't win or play well.
    Well, he doesn't exactly have chopped liver in KC, and if we do draft Joeckel in first round I believe that will sure up the O-line, but I agree that a second round pick is a steep price to pay. Hopefully we can work some kind of trade to get back our second round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    Well as I have stated before I do think we paid to much for him. I have no problem saying that.

The talent around Smith was mainly there before Harbaugh was there. They didn't play well just like Smith didn't. That to me shows that coaching was a problem there. And most QBS are going to struggle if there's not the talent around them.

Now let me how can you defend using the BEST PICK IN THE ENTIRE DRAFT on someone who wasn't even the best player at his pro day.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Pro day Is a joke!!!!!!!! You never hear of a Bad Pro day they get to throw the ball to the friends in shorts!!@ what a joke!!@

Again, did everyone forget the first 6 years of Alex Cassels ( i prefer CANex Smith myself) career? The QBs he was benched for? Do people forget that when we got Cassel he had a great year and people were saying "look what he did in NE".....with a team that was stacked. Now we are saying "look at what he did in SF" with a stacked team, a 2nd year QB came in and lead that team to a SB appearance, so either Kaep is better than Smith or SFs team is so good it doesn't matter who the is QB.

I don't mind MMH at all. He makes fair points. I remember last year everyone yelled and screamed at him because he said the chiefs would go 2-14 or 3-13. I remember one poster getting mad because he couldn't believe the chiefs would have a bad start that MMH predicted, and would not lose to the Chargers and Raiders (well we did......both games....0-6)

And whoever made the groundhogs day reference....AMAZING. We do this almost every year, we sign some FA, go to the draft and we start talking up the team, down talking the rest of the AFC West, season starts......and we are knocked back to reality. 21 years without a playoff win/AFC Championship game appearance?.......43 years since a super bowl appearance or win. AFC West title is nice, but if we don't do anything with it, doesn't mean much except you were better than 3 other teams.

....sorry small rant

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    Again, did everyone forget the first 6 years of Alex Cassels ( i prefer CANex Smith myself) career? The QBs he was benched for? Do people forget that when we got Cassel he had a great year and people were saying "look what he did in NE".....with a team that was stacked. Now we are saying "look at what he did in SF" with a stacked team, a 2nd year QB came in and lead that team to a SB appearance, so either Kaep is better than Smith or SFs team is so good it doesn't matter who the is QB.

I don't mind MMH at all. He makes fair points. I remember last year everyone yelled and screamed at him because he said the chiefs would go 2-14 or 3-13. I remember one poster getting mad because he couldn't believe the chiefs would have a bad start that MMH predicted, and would not lose to the Chargers and Raiders (well we did......both games....0-6)

And whoever made the groundhogs day reference....AMAZING. We do this almost every year, we sign some FA, go to the draft and we start talking up the team, down talking the rest of the AFC West, season starts......and we are knocked back to reality. 21 years without a playoff win/AFC Championship game appearance?.......43 years since a super bowl appearance or win. AFC West title is nice, but if we don't do anything with it, doesn't mean much except you were better than 3 other teams.

....sorry small rant
    No one is forgetting Smith's first few years. You Can't. But you can't ignore how well he played the last two. You have to look at the whole story. The thing that sticks out to me is how much better that whole 49ers team played in 2011 when they got a real head coach. They were pretty bad in 2010 even we blew them out. But then in 2011-12 they were 2 muffed punts away from being in the super bowl with Alex Smith at QB. They didn't go out and get a whole bunch of new players. There players just played a whole lot better. And they did get a few new players. The poor play wasn't confined to Alex Smith under Nolan and Singletary. It was team wide. To me that points to the coaching staff or lack there of. That "stacked team" didn't all of sudden come with Harbaugh they struggled to.

Are there some things with Smith and Cassel that are similar YEP there are. But there are also some major differences in the two and what they have done. The Alex Cassel Cassel 2.0 just isn't true

MMH makes some fair points I will agree on that. I agree with him that IMO we gave up to much for Smith. But he also changes his standards based on who he likes and doesn't like. The main example is the Dink and dunk thing. He says that's all Smith has done. Well the guy he makes out to be a god amoung Qbs only averaged .1 more YPC so is it realistic that .1 of a yard is the difference between "noodle arm" and the ability to go downfield? I don't think so. There are guys he likes who he will only give you the postives on like Geno. Then there are the guys who he doesn't like who he will only give you the negative like Alex smith and Cassel.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/airYardsStats.php

They should do this for QBs, calculate the YAC yards out of their totals .

Also I took the completions from here http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl...ualified/false

(Alex was 6.1, Rodgers was 6.4, Cassel was 5.8, Breese was 7.3!, Kaep was 8.8!!, C. Ponder was 4.3) So by these numbers.....Alex is probably Average, rodgers average(which makes sense since he has a good WR corp.), Breese and Kaep....yeah lol

Also, take what you want with Alex posting 6.1 and Kaep posting 8.8 on the same team

And yes Matthew i did all this work to try and prove you wrong but kind of ended up not lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Well, he doesn't exactly have chopped liver in KC, and if we do draft Joeckel in first round I believe that will sure up the O-line, but I agree that a second round pick is a steep price to pay. Hopefully we can work some kind of trade to get back our second round pick.
    +1. Agreed.

Alex Smith might not be the guy that everyone wanted (me included), but bashing the guy before he's even played a down for us won't change a thing. Reid & Dorsey had their minds made up, and inked the deal.

Another observation: Players seem to be flocking to KC - not away, like they did from Pioli. That's saying something about how players view KC's new GM & HC.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    +1. Agreed.

Alex Smith might not be the guy that everyone wanted (me included), but bashing the guy before he's even played a down for us won't change a thing. Reid & Dorsey had their minds made up, and inked the deal.

Another observation: Players seem to be flocking to KC - not away, like they did from Pioli. That's saying something about how players view KC's new GM & HC.
    Good point. No one wanted to be here because of the last regime. The very reason Manning thumbed his nose at us.

As far the niners go, their offensive line (I'm repeating myself here) has 4 , 1st round picks on the line, including Davis(TE). It took a couple of years for that to meld but that team can run and throw. The defense is stacked, a very balanced team.

I so want Alex to work out. I'm a little on the fence here. The 2nd round pick with another possible 2nd round pick is too much in my opinion. On the other hand, the new coaching regime gives me some hope that this should work. If not I'm going to punch Ned Ryerson in the face!

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    I so want Alex to work out. I'm a little on the fence here. The 2nd round pick with another possible 2nd round pick is too much in my opinion. On the other hand, the new coaching regime gives me some hope that this should work. If not I'm going to punch Ned Ryerson in the face!
    Yep. All Ned's fault. Personally I was going to blame the pick wasted on Leon Sandcastle, but Ned will do.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast