Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: jaguars looking into geno smith

Default jaguars looking into geno smith

Jaguars send group to West Virginia Pro Day

Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 13, 2013, 9:03 PM EDT
    Getty ImagesThe Jaguars have the No. 2 pick in April’s draft. And they would seem to be giving the impression of doing every bit of due diligence on West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith, who’s regarded as the top passing prospect available.
    The Jaguars said Wednesday that general manager David Caldwell, head coach Gus Bradley, offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch, senior vice president Tony Khan and player personnel director Terry McDonough will be attending West Virginia’s pro day on Thursday in Morgantown. Per the West Virginia athletics website, every NFL team is expected to have a presence at the pro day.
    The Jaguars are somewhat unsettled at quarterback. Blaine Gabbert has had a challenging first two NFL seasons, and the general manager who drafted him (Gene Smith) is gone. Moreover, Bradley will be Gabbert’s fourth head coach in his short pro career. Likewise, veteran Chad Henne is also a holdover from an old regime. In February, Caldwell told NFL.com that there would be “a wide-open competition” at quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    My Man Hali. You were right about last season. But you are wrong about Alex smih. He did not succeed until be had a good coach the defense has always been stout. The coaching offensively was terrible he got a good QB coach and played well. Secondly our new staff hasn't even practiced yet and you are throwing in the towel.

I suggest you post on CHIEFS PLANET! All that group does is ***** and whine and moan and scream detest for two guys who have had nothing but success in the NFL in Dorsey and Reid. Dorsey said and this is a quote "I'm going to build this team with a philosophy that's been ingrained in me, by bringing and drafting the BPA". He did it for Green Bay hell do it for us.

I do post on Chiefs Planet. Go To Hell and I are actually good friends. I just don't understand how we can be optimists here when we are having a similar offseason like we did in 2009. New regime change same offseason moves.

You have to admit, there was a lot of positivity coming from this username when we fired Fat Scott and hired Dorsey/Reid. I was excited, ready for the next step, then that nice fantasy came crashing down when the trade for Alex Smith happened.
    Last edited by MyManHali; 03-14-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    My Man Hali. You were right about last season. But you are wrong about Alex smih. He did not succeed until be had a good coach the defense has always been stout. The coaching offensively was terrible he got a good QB coach and played well. Secondly our new staff hasn't even practiced yet and you are throwing in the towel.

I suggest you post on CHIEFS PLANET! All that group does is ***** and whine and moan and scream detest for two guys who have had nothing but success in the NFL in Dorsey and Reid. Dorsey said and this is a quote "I'm going to build this team with a philosophy that's been ingrained in me, by bringing and drafting the BPA". He did it for Green Bay hell do it for us.

What should I expect out of Alex Cassel that would make me a believer? This is a qb who has won only when he has had a stacked team around him. Doesn't that sound familiar?

I will tell you what, since we traded so high to get him. I will make you a deal, if Alex Cassel is top 10 in YPG, rating and has a 10 win year I will leave this board forever.

Deal?
    Last edited by MyManHali; 03-14-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    I do post on Chiefs Planet. Go To Hell and I are actually good friends. I just don't understand how we can be optimists here when we are having a similar offseason like we did in 2009. New regime change same offseason moves.

You have to admit, there was a lot of positivity coming from this username when we fired Fat Scott and hired Dorsey/Reid. I was excited, ready for the next step, then that nice fantasy came crashing down when the trade for Alex Smith happened.
    "New regime same off season moves" are you following the same team we all are? How can you say same off season moves...Smith - QB, Smith CB, Robinson, De Vito, Daniel, Fasano, Avery...really

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Dog View Post
    "New regime same off season moves" are you following the same team we all are? How can you say same off season moves...Smith - QB, Smith CB, Robinson, De Vito, Daniel, Fasano, Avery...really

We traded our 34th pick just like we did in 2009 for a bum qb, and a bunch of b-/c+ acquisitions. Yes, same old story. Instead of drafting corner of Brandon Flowers calibur with our second round pick, we get Sean Smith. Smith is solid, he has good size and decent coverage skills, but only has 5 ints in 4 seasons, we are also paying this guy 6 million dollars a year.

We are making a lot of dumb moves this offseason.

With exception of the Sean Smith contract, all the FA contracts have relatively low guarantees. If these players don't pan out, releasing them would be relatively painless. If they DO pan out, worse case scenario, we're payin fair market value. The Sean Smith contract is the only one that bothers me at this point. The Chiefs are going to build the future of this franchise through the draft. Right now, they're just plugging holes... and doing a very good job of it. There's only one temaining glaring need at ILB before we hit the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post

Kinda figured. Same sig.

MMH has a valid point. On paper, Alex and Matt are virtually the same QB. However, I think the FA moves we have made are going to help us. I'm trying to remain positive, want to remain positive, I love me some some Chiefs!

I'm not fully on board with the Smith trade. He has, however, been a starter, was a former #1 pick, has had countless OC's to deal with etc. I still believe we gave up way too much for him. On the other hand, if he works out and wins us some games, call me fickle, I'll love me some Smith. Since we are at the bottom, there is only one direction this team can go now.

I believe with Reid at the helm we will win. Since Vermiel retired it seems every season our expectations crescendo and build up and wham! the alarm clock kicks on and Sonny and Cher are singing "I Got You Babe" and we're smashing the clock radio over and over and over.........

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    There's only one temaining glaring need at ILB before we hit the draft.
    I wouldnt even call it a glaring need. After all, in passing situations, we will probably be in a nickel with Robinson/Arenas coming in for the ILB that is not DJ. And given the type of offense that Denver runs (naming them because they are who we need to unseat) we will be in the nickel a lot. So I wouldnt list a position that will be playing around 2/3rds of the downs as a glaring need. This I think can easily be filled with a 3rd-5th rounder and if done right could be the heir apparent to slide over to the primary ILB role once DJ starts to get older/slower (in 3+ years).

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    With exception of the Sean Smith contract, all the FA contracts have relatively low guarantees. If these players don't pan out, releasing them would be relatively painless. If they DO pan out, worse case scenario, we're payin fair market value. The Sean Smith contract is the only one that bothers me at this point. The Chiefs are going to build the future of this franchise through the draft. Right now, they're just plugging holes... and doing a very good job of it. There's only one temaining glaring need at ILB before we hit the draft.

Of course they have cheap deals, they are not top tier impact players. If we're going to build through the draft then why did we give up a second rounder for Alex Cassel?
    Last edited by MyManHali; 03-14-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    MMH has a valid point. On paper, Alex and Matt are virtually the same QB. However, I think the FA moves we have made are going to help us. I'm trying to remain positive, want to remain positive, I love me some some Chiefs!

I'm not fully on board with the Smith trade. He has, however, been a starter, was a former #1 pick, has had countless OC's to deal with etc. I still believe we gave up way too much for him. On the other hand, if he works out and wins us some games, call me fickle, I'll love me some Smith. Since we are at the bottom, there is only one direction this team can go now.

I believe with Reid at the helm we will win. Since Vermiel retired it seems every season our expectations crescendo and build up and wham! the alarm clock kicks on and Sonny and Cher are singing "I Got You Babe" and we're smashing the clock radio over and over and over.........

The last paragraph was pure genius. Kudos AK that deserves a like.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast