Thread: For those who say we overpaid for our QBs ...

Default For those who say we overpaid for our QBs ...

So for those of you who think we are overpaying our QBs, and that Chase Daniel doesnt deserve the 3mil/yr that he is getting, or that Smith is overpaid for his quality.

Here is this piece of information:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...on-for-cassel/

Matt Cassel is getting 4 mil to play for the Vikings (on top of the guaranteed money that we owe him). We all know what Cassel is capable of (both good and bad). Apparently that is worth 4 mil ... to be a backup.

So the fact that we are paying 3mil for Chase Daniel to me shows a decent price, and the fact that little of it is guaranteed at the end of the contract means we wont be burned by cutting ties before his contract is up.

Also, relatively speaking, 7.5 mil for Smith is not bad for a starting QB.

I think most who are talking overpaying for Smith are talking in terms of draft picks we gave up for him. I myself have been one to say that. If it were just 1 2nd rounder ok. But the fact that it might be 2 2nd rounders IMO is to much for him but it might just work out fine.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Omg a 2nd rd pick fir a NFL championship qb??? That's too much??

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I think most who are talking overpaying for Smith are talking in terms of draft picks we gave up for him. I myself have been one to say that. If it were just 1 2nd rounder ok. But the fact that it might be 2 2nd rounders IMO is to much for him but it might just work out fine.
    It was a steep price but considering our options at QB, I think it was well worth it.

Y'all, c'mon. We just traded for a 28 year old STARTING QB who has 8 years NFL experience, went #1 overall in his draft class, and went 20-5 over his last 2 seasons.

Y'all are REALLY complaining about giving up about 900 draft points for this guy when drafting the next best option at that position would've cost 3000 points at #1 overall? In a year where there are no "franchise QB's" to be had via the draft and no Peyton Mannings or Drew Breeses on the FA market, how people could complain about getting a guy who's gone 20-5 over his last two seasons WITH a divisional playoff win is mind-boggling.

Again, the best QB in this draft (whoever you think that may be) is probably only a top 30 or 40 player in this draft. The fact that one may be taken in the top 10 is irrelevant. The talent simply is not there to justify spending 3000 points on a guy. If you're crying about 2 2nd round picks for Alex Smith, you would be on the floor sobbing hysterically if we had spent the equivalent of 4 of them on Geno Smith.

By the way, if the compensation is indeed 2 2nd round picks, it's because Alex Smith was wildly successful. If he flops, the compensation drops dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Y'all, c'mon. We just traded for a 28 year old STARTING QB who has 8 years NFL experience, went #1 overall in his draft class, and went 20-5 over his last 2 seasons.

Y'all are REALLY complaining about giving up about 900 draft points for this guy when drafting the next best option at that position would've cost 3000 points at #1 overall? In a year where there are no "franchise QB's" to be had via the draft and no Peyton Mannings or Drew Breeses on the FA market, how people could complain about getting a guy who's gone 20-5 over his last two seasons WITH a divisional playoff win is mind-boggling.

Again, the best QB in this draft (whoever you think that may be) is probably only a top 30 or 40 player in this draft. The fact that one may be taken in the top 10 is irrelevant. The talent simply is not there to justify spending 3000 points on a guy. If you're crying about 2 2nd round picks for Alex Smith, you would be on the floor sobbing hysterically if we had spent the equivalent of 4 of them on Geno Smith.

By the way, if the compensation is indeed 2 2nd round picks, it's because Alex Smith was wildly successful. If he flops, the compensation drops dramatically.
    This. All of it.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I have seen some people complain about his contract. Also, I feel like the fact that people were willing to pay Cassel 4 mil/yr shows the value of a QB, even a mediocre (maybe less than mediocre unless he can unlearn his bad habits of happy feet and panicking) one. Not to mention there is a report that the Bucs wanted him, but Cassel wanted to go to the Vikes where he has a better shot at starting again.

Two 2nd rounders (a 2nd and maybe a 3rd if he doesnt pan out) are worth it for a starting QB who has had success in this league.