Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs showing their hand

Default Chiefs showing their hand

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-trade-offers/

Chiefs will listen to Branden Albert trade offers. Must mean that Luke Joeckel is the pick.

He signed his tender. I can see it now from the folklore "Oh, we don't need a LT with the 1st pick, now". Not correct at all. Albert is said to be wanting 11 million a season. I really think he wants out of KC. We'll see what happens, it should be interesting. Personally, I don't believe there are going to be any takers as the other 31 teams don't see him as a top 10 LT and there are the back issues.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 03-18-2013 at 01:58 PM.

"But but but.... he's a good LT... we should just re-sign him. Why would we let our good young talent get away??"

11 MILLION????? IS HE EFFING CRAZY???? Get What you can get and be done with this guy. PEACE!! Joekel/Stephenson is just fine with me. 2 rookie contract guys replacing high priced vets while also upgrading talent level... no brain decision.

This post over at KC.com sums it up

"I'll be playing left tackle," Albert said.
    TRANSLATION: If my coaches ask me to change positions, I'll become an overpaid, childish malcontent.

You have to wonder what makes him think that he's in a position to dictate anything? The Chiefs are under no obligation whatsoever to guarantee him a LT spot. He better come to grips with that reality. I'm surprised that the Chiefs tagged him & if he'd been allowed to hit the open market, he'd have gotten a rude awakening if he harbored delusions about another team wanting to pay him above 6 million a year. At least the Chiefs brass showed some class where he was concerned by giving him a chance to make 9.8 million this year and prove his back is OK, so that if he does hit the open market in 2014, then he'd have a better chance to get a lucrative deal.

If he was smart, he'd sign a long term deal with the Chiefs for what they both can agree on, and move to RT. That would line his pockets with deep cash, and prolong his playing career a few extra years. LT and a bad back are a tough assignment.

I can see people willing to give up a 2nd round pick ths year or next for him. He is a decent starter. Teams like Detroit, Arizona, Chicago, Philly all need an upgrade at LOT. Getting a starting LOT with the potential to become a pro-bowler (doubt he ever reaches that ceiling) for a 2nd round pick is a steal. When you count in the (brief) history of back problems, I think it is an even trade. With Jake Long off the market, Albert is easily the top available veteran.

I would love this trade. I wouldnt even mind trading for a 2nd in next years draft, since if A.Smith doesn't work out for us, we need to be prepared to move up in the draft and look for other options.

Personally, I am fine with an OL with Joeckel at LT and then a competition between Stephenson, Schwartz (maybe even Allen since he played LT in college) and another rookie like Barrett Jones in the 2nd round. I love jones as he has played LT, RG and C at Alabama opening holes for Trent Richardson and Eddy Lacy the last couple of years.

I think Albert wants out of KC. It is no coincidence that hours after a story being "leaked" that KC is listening to trade offers that he signs his tender sheet. If he really wanted to stay in KC and avoid a trade, all he had to do is not sign his tender until right before the season starts (which in retrospect, I wonder if that is what Bowe was trying to accomplish last year).

Yeah i dont think teams can talk about trading tell the player signs the tender then they can field calls for him.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I can see people willing to give up a 2nd round pick ths year or next for him. He is a decent starter. Teams like Detroit, Arizona, Chicago, Philly all need an upgrade at LOT. Getting a starting LOT with the potential to become a pro-bowler (doubt he ever reaches that ceiling) for a 2nd round pick is a steal. .
    Sorry, but I must differ with you there. Chicago already signed Bushod from New Orleans and none of those other teams have an extra 2nd round pick. The Miami Dolphins do, and being that they just lost Jake Long, they might be a candidate, but they also have Jonathan Martin to play LT and they drafted him in the 2nd round last year. I really believe the Chiefs would be lucky to get a 3rd round pick at the most from anybody out there.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 03-18-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Sorry, but I must differ with you there. Chicago already signed Bushod from New Orleans and none of those other teams have an extra 2nd round pick. The Miami Dolphins do, and being that they just lost Jake Long, they might be a candidate, but they also have Jonathan Martin to play LT and they drafted him in the 2nd round last year. I really believe the Chiefs would be lucky to get a 3rd round pick at the most from anybody out there.
    Obviously, I am going to differ with you as well. While you are right about Chicago (forgot about the bushrod signing), all the other teams still have a huge need at LOT and all have one 2nd round pick. You don't need to have an extra one. Also, a 2nd round pick next year is still a trade that I would accept. Without knowing the other teams well enough, I don't know if this will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Obviously, I am going to differ with you as well. While you are right about Chicago (forgot about the bushrod signing), all the other teams still have a huge need at LOT and all have one 2nd round pick. You don't need to have an extra one. Also, a 2nd round pick next year is still a trade that I would accept. Without knowing the other teams well enough, I don't know if this will happen.
    We'll have to wait and see how this all plays out. It should be interesting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast