Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mid Free Agency Mock

Default Mid Free Agency Mock

I know most of you are thinking that the Chiefs are done in free agency. They're not. They're sitting there with about $6million in cap room remaining WITH Albert on the books. However, if the Chiefs pull off a trade of Albert, not only do they recoup the picks they spent on Alex Smith, but also dump the $9million or so they owe Albert. That leaves them $12m or so after rookies are signed. That's a pretty big number if you're looking for a couple impact players in free agency to fill in at FS, ILB, or provide depth across the board.

So, here's my mock after the first part of free agency. (Note that this mock is what I would do if I'm making the calls and not necessarily what I think Dorsey/Reid will do)

Chiefs trade Albert to Miami for #42 and a conditional pick in 2014

Chiefs trade #1 to NYJ for #9, #13 (via TB for Revis), and #39 (1650 pt difference) The Bucs are desperate for CB help. Don't be shocked if that trade happens. The Jets are desperate for QB help. Don't be shocked if they make a move up the board. Perhaps not all the way up to #1, but they're not going to be content with Mark Sanchez heading into 2013 and the next best option will be a top 5 pick.

1. Jets- Geno Smith --- NYJ is going to do something dramatic to fix their QB position. They'll trade Revis to Tampa for their first round pick and they'll package those picks to KC to trade up for the next best QB option on this year's market. Smith is the largest remaining splash and I don't think this scenario is too far fetched. Sitting at #9, there's no way they can upgrade their QB position by standing still. So, instead of paying the best CB in the league, they'll trade him for an asset that will allow them to address the most important position on the field.

2. Jags- Dion Jordan --- Jags are set at LT with Monroe. They haven't been linked to any of the QB's, so the most versatile defender in this draft makes sense here.

3. Raiders- Dee Millner--- The arrival of Wes Welker and Alex Smith in the division along with departures like Huff from their secondary make this pick a necessity.

4. Eagles- Sharrif Floyd When was the last time you heard of a great LT contributing in a Chip Kelly offense? Philly needs help on the O-line, but I don't think it comes here. Getting the best 4-3 player in the draft helps a ton.

5. Lions- Ezekiel Anzah--- Lost Avril. But they've got Suh, Fairley, and Vanden Bosch on that line and the Lions have been investing heavily on their D-line.

6. Browns- Cordarrelle Patterson--- QUICK! Who were the starting WR's for CLE last season (hint: it wasn't the recently departed Josh Cribbs)

7. Cardinals- Matt Barkley--- He's either 1 or 1a in this QB draft class and the Cardinals have nobody currently in-house to compete at that position of any upgrade over last season.

8. Bills-Ryan Nassib--- Bills want this guy in the worst way. Some mocks have him going #1 overall to the Bills who trade up to get him. I can't imagine a scenario where Nassib isn't wearing a Buffalo on his head next season.

9. CHIEFS- BOTH elite LT's are still on the board here. Chiefs take Joekel. Eagles could take a LT and if that's the case, the Chiefs end up with Fischer instead.

10. Titans-Chance Warmack--- Roos at LT, Levitre as a free agent and now Warmack at the other OG spot and suddenly, the Titans have a very potent OL.

11. Chargers- Eric Fischer--- Sure hit the jackpot with this one, didn't they? Could end up with Lane Johnson instead if Fischer isn't there anymore.

12. Dolphins-Tavon Austin--- opposite Mike Williams will be a nice duo for Tannehill

13. CHIEFS- BPA... is that Lane Johnson for RT, Vacarro for FS, or Lotulelei at DL? BPA in my mind is still Lotulelei. Things went well at his pro day and the heart thing seems to be a minor issue. I know we've got DeVito, but he's not Lotulelei.

39. Matt Elam-S Florida
    42. Justin Pugh-OL Syracuse (Right Tackle)
    63. Khaseem Greene-LB Rutgers
    3b. Tyler Bray-QB-Tennessee
    4th-Marcus Lattimore-RB South Carolina
    5th-Tyrann Mathieu-DB LSU
    6th-Marquise Goodwin- WR Texas
    7th-Uzoma Nwachukwu- WR TX A&M

The Chiefs are set on the O-line with Joekel and Pugh on the ends with Stephenson at the swing spot. Solid up the middle with Allen, Hudson, and Asamoah as well.

Chiefs bring in competition at the WR spot with Avery, Goodwin, and Nwachukwu. They also bring in Lattimore who was a projected 1st round pick before his knee injury. The Chiefs have Charles as their featured back and can afford to bring Lattimore back at a slower pace than some other teams could. If he comes back completely right, the Chiefs would essentially have an Adrian Peterson/Jamaal Charles backfield.

Flip over to defense and it's REALLY difficult to find a hole. The D-line boasts 3 top 15 picks. The linebackers have 2 1st round picks and 2 3rd round picks. The defensive backs include 2 1st round picks and 4 2nd round picks. That's not including Tyrann Mathieu who could've been a top 10 pick overall if he played last season. Matt Elam next to Eric Berry is stupid good. There's depth all over that secondary with this personnel.

The Jets are hell-bent on trading Revis. #13 overall seems like fair value for the best CB in the league if the Buccs are prepared to pay him long-term. The Jets don't need two picks behind all those QB hungry teams ahead of them... they need a QB. While this may seem like a "dream scenario," it's definitely one that doesn't take too much stretching to see it come to fruition. I think it's a trade both teams would happily do.

Oh yeah, and the Chiefs still have another $12m in cap space to address further depth issues on the O-line, D-line, and at LB. Sure hope the Jets fall in love with a QB.

This is why I love chiefs crowd. Chiefs planet is all about bashing people of differing views and I mean ruthless. Excellent points by all.
    The Geno base just doesn't get it, IMO. They state even if he's a bust it's worth the try. It's obvious he's a question mark and if there is any uncertainty you don't do it. There have been far too many mishaps when drafting a QB in the first round. It is safe to say last year we should have done it. We didn't our proven HC and proven talent evaluator GM are gonna get it right whomever the pick. There is a lot to be excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Funny. He won't make it past pick 3 come draft day. Remember when you thought we should take Te'o at #1? I do. Laughable.
    Ya. The difference is that was last fall before "catfish gate" and I know how to admit I was wrong. You on the other hand... are STILL "laughable." Te'o will be the steal of the draft if he's picked anywhere after #25. If Geno is drafted after #25, he'll be right where he should be.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    I think he was talking about drafting QBs.
    He didn't say DRAFTING. He did say the last 2 decades as opposed to the more accurate statement of "since Trent Green left town". I will grant you that they have drafted Steve Matthews, Steve Stenstrom, Pat Barnes, James Kilian, Brodie Croyle, Ricky Stanzi in that time frame with none of them having Geno Smith's potential.

Ryfo, I am still on board with double-dipping at the QB position in this draft, but with the Alex Smith trade having gone down, it makes more sense to do it in rounds 3 through 7, and I suspect Tyler Wilson & Landry Jones could very well fall in the draft very much the same way Kirk Cousins did last year. I'd rather they took 2 QB's or none at all, given the Chiefs draft history at the QB position.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Ya. The difference is that was last fall before "catfish gate" and I know how to admit I was wrong. You on the other hand... are STILL "laughable." Te'o will be the steal of the draft if he's picked anywhere after #25. If Geno is drafted after #25, he'll be right where he should be.
    If you think "Catfish Gate" is the cause of this, then you haven't been paying attention. The media (Kiper) pumped him up as a potential #1 overall and some (yourself) took the bait. Anyone who paid attention knew that A.) an ILB is the stupidest thing ever at #1 and B.) Te'o's stock was inflated due to this Heisman run and Kiper inflation. Hell, I said this before catfish gate.

Scouts have come out and said that his stock isn't falling, it's the same place it's always been (even before he ran the 3rd slowest 40 of all ILBs). Nice to see NFL personnel men agree w/ my thoughts before catfish gate. I watched Te'o all year, he's not a special player.

From a PFT article:

“Nice player, but not worth a first-round pick. Not in my view,” said an unnamed “AFC personnel man.”

“He’s not a star,” an AFC head coach said. “If I’m taking a linebacker in the first round, I want a guy who can change my defense. Trust me, I’ve been wrong about linebackers before, but this guy doesn’t fit the bill of what I spend a high pick on.”

“[H]e’s not good enough in my view,” an NFC defensive coordinator said.
    Another:

"Another player who is trending down based solely on film and not on any other factor. Te'o was sliding down the board before his poor showing at the combine, thanks to questions about his movement skills and ability to take on and shed blockers."

I'll gladly hold you to your "steal of the draft" if he goes after 25 prediction. That's just nonsense.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 03-28-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    He didn't say DRAFTING. He did say the last 2 decades as opposed to the more accurate statement of "since Trent Green left town". I will grant you that they have drafted Steve Matthews, Steve Stenstrom, Pat Barnes, James Kilian, Brodie Croyle, Ricky Stanzi in that time frame with none of them having Geno Smith's potential.

Ryfo, I am still on board with double-dipping at the QB position in this draft, but with the Alex Smith trade having gone down, it makes more sense to do it in rounds 3 through 7, and I suspect Tyler Wilson & Landry Jones could very well fall in the draft very much the same way Kirk Cousins did last year. I'd rather they took 2 QB's or none at all, given the Chiefs draft history at the QB position.
    I was talking more about continuity at the position. Green had that somewhat, but he's the closest we've come. It'd be nice to have a guy in there for the next 10 years.

I was talking more about continuity at the position. Green had that somewhat, but he's the closest we've come. It'd be nice to have a guy in there for the next 10 years.
    Given their history, I don't know when we'll see that, if ever. Hasn't happened since Len Dawson and Mike Livingston came to the team in the 60's -- it's been that bad.

If you think "Catfish Gate" is the cause of this, then you haven't been paying attention. The media (Kiper) pumped him up as a potential #1 overall and some (yourself) took the bait. Anyone who paid attention knew that A.) an ILB is the stupidest thing ever at #1 and B.) Te'o's stock was inflated due to this Heisman run and Kiper inflation. Hell, I said this before catfish gate.

Scouts have come out and said that his stock isn't falling, it's the same place it's always been (even before he ran the 3rd slowest 40 of all ILBs). Nice to see NFL personnel men agree w/ my thoughts before catfish gate. I watched Te'o all year, he's not a special player.

From a PFT article:

Another:

I'll gladly hold you to your "steal of the draft" if he goes after 25 prediction. That's just nonsense.

Yeah... I remember you saying I was crazy for wanting Burfict last year too... who led his team in tackles (174 according to Geoff Hobson at Bengals.com which would have actually led the LEAGUE) and didn't even play the first couple games of the season. Burfict SHOULD have been a Pro Bowl player and had he played the whole year, he probably would have been... just like I said he'd be. He played SO well in fact, that he made 2nd round pick Maualuga expendable. Even though the Bengals brought Maualuga back, he's changing positions to make room for the BETTER MIKE LB in Burfict. These "experts" you're referencing are probably the same idiots who told you Burfict wasn't sh!t last year as well. All I need to know about Te'o's ability is that both Pittsburgh AND Baltimore are extremely high on the kid... and given their history at the position, I'll take their word rather than some draftnik who thinks he knows what he's seeing on film.

It's amazingly convenient that you suddenly want to listen to what all these draftnik idiots and their reviews of a player when it comes to Te'o, but when EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER is telling you that Geno Smith isn't WORTH a top 20 pick, you stick your fingers in your ears, close your eyes, and talk over everyone like he's the be-all end-all in this year's draft. This Geno group is getting more humorous by the day.

Back to the dream trade scenario, regarding pick #13, my choice would also be Lotulelie. BPA that does address a need. If no trades are able to happen for the Chiefs, there are some good D-Line prospects in rounds 3 through 7, like the one EmDiggy listed in his mock draft thread.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    It's amazingly convenient that you suddenly want to listen to what all these draftnik idiots and their reviews of a player when it comes to Te'o, but when EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER is telling you that Geno Smith isn't WORTH a top 20 pick, you stick your fingers in your ears, close your eyes, and talk over everyone like he's the be-all end-all in this year's draft. This Geno group is getting more humorous by the day.
    There are a lot of people very high on Geno. Don't worry, we'll get to see this one play out.

As far as Burfict, he is an impressive player, but had a bad reputation around the Pac-10, showed up to offseason workouts incredibly out of shape, and as a result was undrafted. I never questioned the guy's ability, but he's had a good rookie year and somewhat dismissed the worries people had about him.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast