Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt flynn getting traded to raiders

Default Matt flynn getting traded to raiders

In all honesty I was hoping we'd get matt Flynn when last season ended. I think he will flourish as a starter.

This is the worst possible scenario for us in my head, regardless of whether Flynn is going to be any good. Basically, it dilutes the demand for QBs in the draft which makes our #1 pick less valuable because a lot of the people who want QBs will be satisfied at the position.

This is how I see it possibly playing out:

Raiders get Flynn - they no longer are a threat for G. Smith.
    C. Palmer goes to Az - AZ is no longer a threat to take a QB

That leaves Buffalo, Jax (maybe?), Philly (maybe?), and the NYJ (maybe??????) needing a QB.

Buffalo is more interested in Barkley than Smith.
    Philly doesnt "NEED" a QB this year, they have Vick who will be decent in Chip Kelly's offense if he can stay healthy.
    The Jets are a wild card and will do anything to win now so the whole front office doesnt get fired.
    Jax may be satisfied with Gabbert. Even if they arent, I doubt they want to trade up, since there isnt a huge demand for QBs.

This sucks, Im pissed. I hope the Faders gave up something stupid like another 2 first round picks for Flynn.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    This is the worst possible scenario for us in my head, regardless of whether Flynn is going to be any good. Basically, it dilutes the demand for QBs in the draft which makes our #1 pick less valuable because a lot of the people who want QBs will be satisfied at the position.

This is how I see it possibly playing out:

Raiders get Flynn - they no longer are a threat for G. Smith.
    C. Palmer goes to Az - AZ is no longer a threat to take a QB

That leaves Buffalo, Jax (maybe?), Philly (maybe?), and the NYJ (maybe??????) needing a QB.

Buffalo is more interested in Barkley than Smith.
    Philly doesnt "NEED" a QB this year, they have Vick who will be decent in Chip Kelly's offense if he can stay healthy.
    The Jets are a wild card and will do anything to win now so the whole front office doesnt get fired.
    Jax may be satisfied with Gabbert. Even if they arent, I doubt they want to trade up, since there isnt a huge demand for QBs.

This sucks, Im pissed. I hope the Faders gave up something stupid like another 2 first round picks for Flynn.
    They already gave up a 1st and two 2nd rounders for Palmer. People were complaining about the 2 picks given up by the Chiefs for Alex Smith, but the the Chiefs brass knew they were getting a couple of compensatory picks back, plus Alex Smith's pay is 5 million less than Palmer's is scheduled to be in 2013. The Alex Smith deal isn't looking so bad, after all. Plus, with Tony Romo getting a 6-yr 108 mil extension with 55 mil in guarantees ( and I can't rate Romo ahead of Alex Smith ), one has to wonder if the Chiefs didn't pull off a steal, that first appeared on the surface to be an expensive proposition.

As for possibly being stuck at #1, in the draft, I predicted as much with no clear-cut #1 QB at the top of the draft board like there was last year. The top 4 teams in the draft order are more than likely "supposedly" showing interest in Geno to try to bait other teams down further into trading up. Until proven wrong, I suspect nobody is going to take the bait.

I kinda hope we trade albet for 2nd rounder and take joekel with our first. Think they will be a free fall in the qbs this year. If bils and jets dont take one jn the first then id say its a safe bet we cojld get a qb in the 2nd round. If faiders do get flynn.

Dorsey knows a lot about Flynn, he scouted him and was part of the organization that drafted him. If he woulda said we should go after him I woulda been ok with that. But.... He didn't. The Faiders are years away from thinking about competing and I don't see Flynn making that big of a splash there anyway.
    Doing my best to keep my sons memory alive!!!

Draft order QB's:
    Alex Smith to the Chiefs
    Jax ???
    Flynn to Oakland
    Vick/Foles in Philly
    CLE ???
    Palmer will go to the Cardinals
    BUF ???
    NYJ ???

The QB draft picture is shaping up. The best thing that could've possibly happened for the Chiefs if they wanted to trade down is happening. The #2 team is still desperately searching for a starting QB while a couple other top 10 teams are losing out on adequate options as fewer and fewer remain available. The top QB's on ANY market in order include Mallett in NE, Kevin Kolb, Jason Campbell, Colt McCoy, David Garrard, Vince Young, and Tim Tebow. With the exception of perhaps Ryan Mallett, none of those guys will garner a ton of support from a team's fan base if they are billed to be the "answer" for their team at the QB position.

If the Jags head into the draft still needing a QB, that will exponentially increase the value of the Chiefs' pick at #1. Unless the Jags throw everything and the kitchen sink at KC for the first pick, I think they'll be stuck with having to take the 2nd QB in this draft. I'm still hoping that either Buffalo falls head over heels in love with Nassib and decides to trade up or that the Jets pull off a first round trade with the Bucs for Revis and give the Chiefs a pair of firsts and a 2nd for a shot at Geno. Once you get out of the top 10, the price becomes too steep for a team to pay for the #1 pick.

I don't think there's another prospect in this draft that will entice any other team to jump up to #1. A team is going to have to fall in love with a QB and be absolutely sure that player won't fall to them at whatever position they're currently sitting. I think the only situation in this draft where that scenario applies is with NYJ and Geno Smith. Geno would have to fall through AT LEAST 3 QB-starved teams to get to the Jets at #9. That New York media isn't going to allow Rex Ryan's hot seat to get any cooler and if he does nothing to address the STARTING QB position for the future of this franchise, there's no way he keeps his job after next season. Something needs to happen there. Not David Garrard or Kevin Kolb either... something dramatic and franchise-changing.

Texaschief, the Jags probably should have about 4 or 5 question marks beside their entry that you made. Certainly they have QB questions, but they have an interesting dilemma having traded up for Gabbert in 2011, a desperate need for Defensive players, and a new regime in place with a HC who was a DC for Seattle in 2012.

Does the new regime give Gabbert another year to see what they've got and how he responds to the new coaching staff and decide to load up on Defensive players in this draft or do they pull the trigger and draft Geno Smith? I could be wrong, but I'm more inclined to believe the former rather than the latter.

Buffalo signed Kevin Kolb and I suspect they may be more apt to either stay put or trade down than trade up. It's looking more and more like the Chiefs chances of trading down do indeed hinge on the Jets trading Revis to the Bucs and wanting to come up to get Geno, but even with that, they may still not be willing to come all the way up to #1 to take Geno, as the Chiefs asking price may be higher than that of the Jags or Raiders. Time will tell.

You're right about the Jags. BUT they have shown "serious" interest in Geno Smith and aren't doing anything to make the teams behind them rest assured that they won't be taking a QB at #2. As long as the perception is there that the Jags COULD take a QB at #2, the Chiefs will be in a VERY valuable position. When I wrote that last post, the Bills hadn't yet signed Kolb. So, that's another option off the table for NYJ. Garrard has been connected to the Jets, but is that a job saving move by Rex? Unlikely. Not every team has to fall in love with Geno Smith... it only takes one. Trading up to #3 with Oakland won't help NYJ if they think Geno will go #2.

Everything you said about JAX is true. But how confident would you be sitting at #9 needing a QB badly and knowing the Jags had the #2 pick and have questions of their own at QB? I wouldn't feel too comfortable. If the front office of the Jets didn't think their jobs were on the line this offseason, they wouldn't be discussing trading Revis for a 1st round pick THIS YEAR. From what I've heard, the Bucs have offered their 1st NEXT year. That doesn't help this front office make an impact THIS season to protect their jobs another year. I think the biggest reason we haven't seen the Jets make a move on the QB front is because their target is probably in the draft. I also think that's the reason we haven't seen a Revis trade yet. If the Bucs were willing to give their 1st round pick THIS season, the trade would be done already. The Jets know they need a 2nd 1st rd pick if they're going to make a big move in the draft.

The value of the Chiefs' pick rests on the perception of the Jags' attitude toward their QB position and they have done absolutely nothing to make any of the teams behind them rest easy about the intentions with their #2 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis_Chiefs View Post
    In all honesty I was hoping we'd get matt Flynn when last season ended. I think he will flourish as a starter.
    i dont think he will flourish . only because he is going to oakland that team is not even close to having much talent on it. no receivers poor offensive line and a bad defense. had flynn gone any where else i think he might of had a shot. but to bad for him i think this is going to end up like the david carr texans experiance. wwhere he is on his back more than anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast