Thread: chiefs trying to talk lilja into re considering

Default chiefs trying to talk lilja into re considering

Chiefs talking to Ryan Lilja about returning in 2013

Posted by Josh Alper on April 9, 2013, 5:09 PM EDT
    APWhen the Chiefs reached the end of their dismal 2012 season, offensive lineman Ryan Lilja said that he would be retiring after nine years in the NFL.
    Some time has passed since then and it seems that Lilja’s reconsidering that decision. Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star reports that the Chiefs have approached Lilja about returning for another season and Lilja was receptive to the idea.
    Lilja spent his first eight seasons playing guard, but moved to center for the Chiefs last season after Rodney Hudson was lost for the year with a broken leg. Hudson is expected back in 2013 while the Chiefs also return guards Jeff Allen and Jon Asamoah.
    Allen is the weakest member of that group, which could mean the Chiefs see Lilja as an alternative to sticking with him for another season. Having a solid offensive line was not something new Chiefs coach Andy Reid enjoyed in his final season with the Eagles and putting one in place in Kansas City would certainly help the Chiefs turn things around after winning just two games in 2012.

No no and no. Hes old and past his prime and he sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    No no and no. Hes old and past his prime and he sucked.
    this, This, and THIS !! The Chiefs are said to be going to a Power blocking scheme under Andy Reid and Lilja doesn't fit and would just be a wasted roster space outside of a backup Center.

Totally illogical to sign Lilja before the draft.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 04-09-2013 at 07:18 PM.

I wouldn't want him as a starter. I wouldn't mind him in a backup/mentor role, if we don't draft someone who could play C.

Please no bone headed moves yet....
    Doing my best to keep my sons memory alive!!!

How bone headed is this really. We have no depth at Guard, center or Tackle. Our starting center is hurt so we don't know how much he will play or can. So unless you plan on using picks, 1, 3 and 4 on offensive lineman. I guess we could go sign one in Free agency that would probably be a down grade over Lilja but why? Having him back this year won't hurt a thing.

I guess we could draft a LT, keep Stephenson at Rt and move Albert to Guard. Then Franchise Albert again next year but as a Guard instead of LT.

Lilja isnt thqt good anymore. Hes to small and i think were going to be more power than zone sheme. I think we can get a younger just as good or better than likja in FA or later in the draft. Also if it fails than we can sign him back during the season when needed. Just tell him to keeep in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Lilja isnt thqt good anymore. Hes to small and i think were going to be more power than zone sheme. I think we can get a younger just as good or better than likja in FA or later in the draft. Also if it fails than we can sign him back during the season when needed. Just tell him to keeep in shape.
    Agreed. If they re-sign Lilja, hope it's for locker room presence only.

Although I've watched NFL and the Chiefs for 40 years, I've never actually coached or played at any level above high school. I'm going to trust Andy & company until they fail.