Thread: KC picks up Tyler Bray

If the Chiefs had been able to get a pick in the mid-late 2nd round and then decided to take Bray, would that have made the fan-base happy, being that they drafted a 2nd round QB? Bray was widely considered the most talented QB in this draft class, but his maturity and preparation were highly questioned (to the point where he wasn't drafted at all). Most draftniks had him pegged in the mid 2nd to late 3rd. If Reid had taken him in the 2nd round with the assumption that he could eventually get the best of Bray, would that have calmed the anti-Alex mob?

Does the fact that he was undrafted cause you to have lower expectations from any particular player solely because they were undrafted as opposed to the pre-draft expectations of that player? Given everything that we know about Tyler Bray, do you expect less from him because he has "UDFA" next to his name instead of "2nd rd?" I don't. I can tell you that if there had been a run on QBs early in the 2nd like everyone was anticipating, I would've been happy with a Bray selection late in the 2nd or with the first pick in the 3rd. Heading into the draft, no part of me thought Bray would go undrafted and that we would have a shot signing him as a UDFA.

I still view Tyler Bray as a 2nd round talent if not higher, based on talent alone. If you took Bray's body and talent alone, he's EXACTLY what you're looking for in a #1 overall, "franchise QB." His issue is between the ears... and not because he's incapable of performing at an elite level, but because his maturity doesn't seem to be where it NEEDS to be as an "elite franchise QB." Holding a clipboard for 2 or 3 seasons behind Alex Smith and Chase Daniel in an Andy Reid system could turn this guy into not just a steal of the draft, but perhaps one of the top 5 players in the class altogether.

Time will tell, but if things go well for Bray, he has the tools to give the Chiefs not only the opportunity to take their franchise LT #1 overall, but also get their franchise QB in the same draft. Not many teams get that chance and Tyler Bray falls into a situation in KC that could allow him to excel.
    Last edited by texaschief; 04-28-2013 at 03:15 PM.

And the fact that he was snatched away from the Dolphins makes it all the sweeter. Screw Miami!

Even with Bray in the fold, I'm still holding my breath for a Knile Davis for Nick Foles trade.

Been watching vids of this kid and all around lacks maturity on and off the field. He feel he's ready for pro football and I don't think he's ready for life yet! This kid made some careless mistakes on the field to turn over the ball. The only reason he left college early was they were bringing in new coaching staff and he didn't want to learn the new playbook. Lazy and ****y if u ask my opinions of him.

I like the Bray pickup. No doubt he has a lot of issues....

1) He's LAZY.

2) He is way too full of himself.

3) He has the maturity of a 12 year old.

BUT....I think we have just the right people to knock some sense into the boy.

Alex Smith has some experience in what life is like in the NFL. He went from being SF's darling to losing his job after an injury and being traded. Smith also did a pretty good job of mentoring with Kaepernick. Smith should be able to give Bray a pretty serious wakeup call. And if you could pick any head coach you wanted to "groom" a rookie quarterback who would you pick other than Reid?

Bray may turn into a nothing, but with his size and raw talent and Reid and Smith to guide him, he could also turn into a legitimate Franchise Quarterback.

All in all I see the risk in Bray as being less than buying a Lotto ticket and the potential payoff as being right up there with winning the Powerball.

Since he didn't cost us a draft pick, I love this pickup!

No doubt that not being drafted should have given him a HUGE jolt and I hope Bray realizes that KC is a great & probably LAST opportunity to have an NFL career.

At this point thye have Jamarcus Russell...they just didn't waste a 1st overall pick on him. Hell, they didn't waste any picks on him. Now we wait and see if he grows up. If not, nothing lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    At this point thye have Jamarcus Russell...they just didn't waste a 1st overall pick on him. Hell, they didn't waste any picks on him. Now we wait and see if he grows up. If not, nothing lost.
    Yep this is a move that has nothing but upside. If Reid can work with him and turn him into something then we got a steal if not he won't be on the roster when the season comes around Nothing but good can happen.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!