Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible trading partners for Branden Albert

Default Possible trading partners for Branden Albert

At this point it seems unlikely that the Chiefs would trade Branden Albert for a 2014 draft pick. But a player for player trade is still a real possibility. We still need to move Albert because of his salary. I don't think we have enough cap space to even sign our draftees right now. So who are some teams that need LT help that could deal a player. I know Miami is trying to deal Davone Bess, but I say tell Miami to go "F" themselves. I'm wondering if there isn't a team that needs a LT, that may have an OG or ILB that has a deal expiring that would make a good trade partner.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I'm all for keeping him at this point. Give Alex all the time in the world to throw.
    I agree at this point it wouldn't be horrible. It would give up more time to see if he can be more realistic with his demands and give us someone to play LT if Fisher isn't quite ready just yet as a rookie you never no in the NFL.
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Two problems with keeping Albert. The 9.8 cap space he's taking up & his reluctance to play another position and participate in voluntary activities.

He'd have been best served to keep silent during this whole process. Instead, he's alienated a great many & that could include some of his teammates.
    There is some hope that seeing that his agent couldn't get a deal with the dolphins that this might humble Albert a bit but I really don't see a deal for Albert being made at this point.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post

There is some hope that seeing that his agent couldn't get a deal with the dolphins that this might humble Albert a bit but I really don't see a deal for Albert being made at this point.
    If by that, you mean a trade for Albert, it could happen, but if you mean a long-term contract in KC, then that's not happening this year.

^^I saw that jap1. I would not be surprised if it happened for players, instead of draft picks or perhaps a 3rd rounder and a player, although I don't see any players on the Dolphins roster that really interest me.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 04-29-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Two problems with keeping Albert. The 9.8 cap space he's taking up & his reluctance to play another position and participate in voluntary activities.

He'd have been best served to keep silent during this whole process. Instead, he's alienated a great many & that could include some of his teammates.
    The $9.8M cap number doesn't really matter at this point. The Chiefs are under the cap and they've already made it through free agency, so I could care less what he's making this year. They need to field the best team possible now, and if you think this team is better without Branden Albert, I strongly disagree.

They knew they'd be paying him this amount barring a trade, and now they're likely stuck paying him that. The team is better with him than without him this year, so he'll play through it, get a FA deal next year, and we'll get a 3rd-5th round compensatory pick.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 04-29-2013 at 08:23 PM.

The $9.8M cap number doesn't really matter at this point. The Chiefs are under the cap and they've already made it through free agency, so I could care less what he's making this year. They need to field the best team possible now, and if you think this team is better without Branden Albert, I strongly disagree.

They knew they'd be paying him this amount barring a trade, and now they're likely stuck paying him that. The team is better with him than without him this year, so he'll play through it, get a FA deal next year, and we'll get a 3rd-5th round compensatory pick.
    Ryfo, I think we are about 3 mil under the cap, but that is before signing any of the draft picks. (source: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap-hit/) Granted, only the 1st round pick and maybe the 3rd will make enough to be in the top 51 players that gets counted for the cap, but Fisher is probably going to get paid around 5 mil/yr. That would put us 2 mil over (unless they do a lot of fancy/creative signing bonus stuff that I dont understand that makes his salary cap hit only 3 mil).

I would love for us to keep Albert, and for him to happily play RT. I would be very excited for us to sign him to a long term contract, even if it was way overpaid for a RT at something like 6-7 mil/year. Especially since that would put us right under the salary cap. That would solidify our OL for a long time. Problem is given what Albert has said publicly, I dont see him willingly busting his butt at RT. Nor do I see him accepting a paycut of 6-7mil/yr, not to mention that the Chiefs would be wayyyy overpaying a RT to give him that much.

The more likely scenario would be to trade him to get out from under his contract, and then sign someone like Tyson Clabo if they do not think Stephenson or Allen can be a lockdown RT.

They're going to have to make some cuts to hit the cap mark, but probably only need about $6M to sign this year's class. I'm fairly confident that Kendrick Lewis ($1.3M) likely doesn't make this team with the additions of Robinson, Abdullah and drafting Sanders Commings. Moeaki could also be another victim ($1.5M) after they brought in Kelce and Fasano. They'll save a little (very little) if they keep Bray over Stanzi as well, b/c Bray's contract will be the league minimum. They'll also have the chance to rework some contracts to get cap #'s down.

It will be tight, but they'll be fine. Unless Miami is giving a 2nd round pick (doubtful), it's just not worth it knowing they'll likely get a compensatory pick next year.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 04-29-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Albert has already been replaced & Fisher was drafted because of his potential to become elite at the LT position. They hardly missed Albert when he was gone last year. In fact, Stephenson played against the better opponents than Albert did & played almost as well. He's become a malcontent, and the team is not better with him. If they trade him and get a 3rd rounder for him, then what's the difference between that & a compensatory 3rd to 5th rounder? His 9.8 cap space does matter very much.

And Kendrick Lewis is going nowhere. He played hurt last year & was making good strides in 2011, prior to his injury in the season final which he didn't fully recover from in 2012. I saw the vid of Lewis pumping iron at the voluntary workouts & he's probably finally fully healthy once again. Him and Berry are the only Safeties on the roster with starting experience at the Safety positions. The others are all backups & I don't see any of them beating Lewis out of his FS spot, at least for this year.

We'll know for certain when OTA's start soon. If Albert isn't there, then he's definitely on the trading block & certainly out of a job at LT -- which I believe he already is, anyway.

Albert has already been replaced & Fisher was drafted because of his potential to become elite at the LT position. They hardly missed Albert when he was gone last year. In fact, Stephenson played against the better opponents than Albert did & played almost as well. He's become a malcontent, and the team is not better with him. If they trade him and get a 3rd rounder for him, then what's the difference between that & a compensatory 3rd to 5th rounder? His 9.8 cap space does matter very much.

And Kendrick Lewis is going nowhere. He played hurt last year & was making good strides in 2011, prior to his injury in the season final which he didn't fully recover from in 2012. I saw the vid of Lewis pumping iron at the voluntary workouts & he's probably finally fully healthy once again. Him and Berry are the only Safeties on the roster with starting experience at the Safety positions. The others are all backups & I don't see any of them beating Lewis out of his FS spot, at least for this year.

We'll know for certain when OTA's start soon. If Albert isn't there, then he's definitely on the trading block & certainly out of a job at LT -- which I believe he already is, anyway.
    Agree that Lewis right now is the starter at FS. Remember we have the same DB coach, so they are not likely to ditch an "old regime" guy unless he gets legitimately outplayed. I think Abdullah has starting experience, but he took a year off and I believe he had some injury concerns before that. I think he had the most realistic chance to unseat Lewis.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12