Thread: D-Line concerns?

Default D-Line concerns?

So we got Poe, Powe, and Jackson. Not sure if Powe is gonna spell Poe or play one of the DE spots, but it gets pretty thin from there. Baily, DeVito, Dixon, Muir, and Toribio round out the D-line. I only hope that TJ can become the dominate player we need him to be - and that our new D-Coordinator plays Tamba and Houston close to the line to rush the passer - rather than have these guys drop back in coverage. So what do you guys think about not addressing the D-line in the draft or FA? Reid says he wants dominate lines on both sides right out of the gate, but the D-line may be a year or 2 down the road the way I see it...
    SHUT IT

Here is my prediction:

The starting DEs are going to be DeVito and Jackson, with Poe at NT. Powe and maybe Toribio (if he makes the roster) are the backup NTs. Bailey, Dixon and Muir will be backups for DE. The D is going to be aggressive with the OLBs blitzing a lot (similar to the Jets). I think we will see TJax in the backfield more often as we started to see when Romeo stopped being D coordinator and Gibbs was DC. I was surprised by how often Poe played well last year, and I see him doing it more often this year as e continues to develop. DeVito is a run stuffer, probably wont be in often on passing downs.

My bigger concern is that TJax is on a one year contract basically, so he may not be back next year. If he doesnt step up, we will have to likely draft a DE next year.

That sounds like a good scenario to me. I guess we did go out and get DeVito. Don't no much about him.
    SHUT IT

DeVito is a solid 2-down lineman. I'm guessing he rotates out with Bailey, who offers a bit more pass rushing ability. Jackson will likely be a 3-down player, like he was last year. Hopefully this defense allows him to be more aggressive at getting at the QB this year. Half the time last year he was asked just to take up space so Houston could rush off the edge.

Powe/Toribio will emerge as NT depth. We'll have to see what this Catapano guy is all about. He's a small schooler so I'm pretty sure he's a pretty raw prospect that won't see too much playing time in year 1.

On passing downs though we'll likely see more of a 2-4-5 (nickel) or 2-3-6 (dime) look where Poe and Jackson/Bailey are up front and Hali/Houston on the ends.

Agree with Jap and Ryfo on the likely starters. I'm excited about this defense. He have good starters, but shaky depth in opinion. I still believe Allen Bailey will be a great player. I've been saying that for a couple of years now though, so it's an important year for him in my eyes.

I'm not worried about the d-line at all.

I think I read that Catapano is going to be used as an OLB.

Tyson Jackson being on a one year contract can only be a good thing for us, if he wants to be paid the big bucks the contract year is the way to do it! He will step up his game to try to fill his pockets