Thread: Webnews: Kyle Turley admits suicidal thoughts, fears brain damage

Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 30

Post Webnews: Kyle Turley admits suicidal thoughts, fears brain damage

0 Not allowed!
    By Darin Gantt
    Former NFL offensive lineman Kyle Turley admits that heís scared. Thatís why he takes medication he hopes staves off degenerative brain damage, and why he called a league-sponsored help line when he considered suicide. Turley, in an in-depth story with Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego, thinks both stem from a career in the NFL… Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 454

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I hope he gets help before he does anything drastic.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!
    I played football through college and now coach and have the following observation... Some folks should not play the sport because they are susceptible to concussions. They get them easy. They have what we call a soft head. They get hit the same as other players and will have a concussions, sometimes severe, and the other would not even feel any effect of the contact. I would say this is 15-20% of the folks playing the sport. We, as coaches, have to make sure that kids don't play through a concussion and the rules are much better now to ensure this happens with base testing and trainer support during games. I also feel that players that are susceptible and have repeated episodes, should play another sport.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 454

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaChief View Post
    I played football through college and now coach and have the following observation... Some folks should not play the sport because they are susceptible to concussions. They get them easy. They have what we call a soft head. They get hit the same as other players and will have a concussions, sometimes severe, and the other would not even feel any effect of the contact. I would say this is 15-20% of the folks playing the sport. We, as coaches, have to make sure that kids don't play through a concussion and the rules are much better now to ensure this happens with base testing and trainer support during games. I also feel that players that are susceptible and have repeated episodes, should play another sport.
    Agreed, it is my understanding that once a player receives a concussion it is then easier to get another one making them more and more susceptible.