Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Webnews: Trade unlikely, Chiefs hope to reach a deal with Branden

Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 30

Post Webnews: Trade unlikely, Chiefs hope to reach a deal with Branden

0 Not allowed!
    By Michael David Smith
    The Kansas City Chiefs have moved their focus away from trading left tackle Branden Albert and are now trying to work out a long-term contract with him. All sides now view the much-discussed trade of Albert to the Dolphins as “dead,” Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports, and that means the Chiefs’ best option left… Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 654
    Given: 813

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    I expect them to sign Albert to a deal, start him at LT this year and then trade him after the season is over. Fisher will play RT this year. Albert's value would be seriously limited if they moved him anywhere but LT.

That is totally silly. Why would Dorsey/Reid care about Albert's value with another team? They're concerned about winning, not what Albert's value is on the FA market. The franchise doesn't revolve around Albert. Albert will play where they tell him to. If they sign him to a long-term deal, they won't trade him anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Albert passed his physical and "no major concerns about his back were raised."

A line consisting of Fisher, Albert, Hudson, Asamoah, and Schwartz w/ Stephenson and Allen as the top tackle/guard reserves is going to be one of the tops in the league. And that's exactly what Alex Smith had in SF and needs in KC.
    That doesn't mean his back will hold up this coming season. Nobody will know for certain until after the season.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 05-02-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 51

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=brdempsey69;281471]That is totally silly. Why would Dorsey/Reid care about Albert's value with another team? They're concerned about winning, not what Albert's value is on the FA market. The franchise doesn't revolve around Albert. Albert will play where they tell him to. If they sign him to a long-term deal, they won't trade him anywhere.

QUOTE]

Myman makes a good point if the Chiefs do intend to keep Albert this year and franchise him again next season with the purpose of trading him. If the Chiefs don't get a long-term deal struck with Albert heading into this season, but he stays on the team, there's an argument to be made that keeping Albert at LT could help his value... especially if he performs at a high level. However, his value as a LT is probably as high as it will possibly get. He's worth a 2nd round draft pick without question. He's probably not going to boost that value by staying another year at LT and could conceivably actually devalue himself by staying at LT just as easily as he could devalue himself by moving over to RT.

It all comes down to a gamble on the Chiefs part. He'll probably lose value as a LT if he's moved to the right side. The best he could hope for is keeping his value by staying on the left side. There's a lot of evaluation that needs to be done because Fisher's development as a LT is going to be hendered if he's forced to play RT this season. BUT the Chiefs could maximize the return they'll get on Albert by keeping him on the left side.

So, like I said, it's all going to come down to OTAs, preseason, and good evaluations. I wouldn't be suprised if Dorsey was the one making this call instead of Reid.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 150

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    That is totally silly. Why would Dorsey/Reid care about Albert's value with another team? They're concerned about winning, not what Albert's value is on the FA market. The franchise doesn't revolve around Albert. Albert will play where they tell him to. If they sign him to a long-term deal, they won't trade him anywhere.
    I think MMH is referring to his trade value. If we sign him to a deal with the intent of possibly trading him in the future, moving him to RT is going to drop his trade value a lot. No one is going to give up even a 3rd rounder for a RT. But for a LT you could easily get a 2nd rounder depending on contract length, etc.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!
    I'd much rather have a vet at LT then a rookie!!!!!!!!

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I think MMH is referring to his trade value. If we sign him to a deal with the intent of possibly trading him in the future, moving him to RT is going to drop his trade value a lot. No one is going to give up even a 3rd rounder for a RT. But for a LT you could easily get a 2nd rounder depending on contract length, etc.
    Why trade him at all if they sign him to a reasonable deal & can kick him inside to LG with Fisher at LT & bolster the blindside protection for Alex Smith?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Chiefy View Post
    I'd much rather have a vet at LT then a rookie!!!!!!!!
    Not if the rookie has the superior overall skills. Minnesota did not follow this line of thinking with Matt Kalil last year.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 22

0 Not allowed!
    The Vikings also cut McKinnie, who is not as good as Albert. Albert has played as well as Monroe the last 2 years, and nobody even questions moving Monroe over to the right side. This team will be fine with Albert and Fisher at the tackles, whichever side they're on. ProFootballFocus just had a great article on how the LT isn't that much more important than the RT (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...es-overvalued/). I have no beef w/ Fisher on the right side.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    The Vikings also cut McKinnie, who is not as good as Albert. Albert has played as well as Monroe the last 2 years, and nobody even questions moving Monroe over to the right side. This team will be fine with Albert and Fisher at the tackles, whichever side they're on. ProFootballFocus just had a great article on how the LT isn't that much more important than the RT (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...es-overvalued/). I have no beef w/ Fisher on the right side.
    LOL. McKinnie was certainly better than Albert at end of last season, now wasn't he? Good enough that Baltimore resigned him. PFF guys DON'T play QB in the NFL, so that article is worthless.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 05-03-2013 at 03:14 AM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    I expect them to sign Albert to a deal, start him at LT this year and then trade him after the season is over. Fisher will play RT this year. Albert's value would be seriously limited if they moved him anywhere but LT.
    Yeah Ive warmed up to FIsher playing at RT a bit.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 22

0 Not allowed!
    LOL. McKinnie was certainly better than Albert at end of last season, now wasn't he? Good enough that Baltimore resigned him.
    And Albert was good enough that KC franchise him. McKinnie is a middle of the road LT, and he gave up sacks in both the Conference Championship and Super Bowl. Not that that's a terrible thing, but he's not better than Albert. The Dolphins were going to give up the #54 pick for Albert and pay him a lot of money...they brought in McKinnie and he left without a contract.

Seriously, why the animosity against a LT that has given up all of 6 sacks in his last 27 full games. Worth noting that McKinnie gave up 3 last year in the 5 games he started at LT. Do I think McKinnie is a bad LT? No. I just realize how good Albert has really been. Did you not watch Albert shut out Peppers against Chicago in 2011? I watched that game at Soldier Field and that was one of the funnest matchups to watch, seeing that the game was a 7-6 final score.

PFF guys DON'T play QB in the NFL, so that article is worthless.
    So if you can't refute the evidence, just try to pass off the whole article? Lol. Since you obviously didn't read it, I'll just give you some examples. All this article is saying is that the RT position is as important as the LT position (and obviously the Chiefs, Jaguars, and Eagles agree w/ this since they took guys who are going to play RT early in their career at 1, 2, and 4 overall).

Since we now know that quarterbacks evenly distribute their passes to both sides of the field, the “blind side” must now come into question. Obviously if a quarterback is throwing to his left, he will not be looking to the right side, so we can assume that he must now turn his body toward the throw which now puts the left tackle clearly in his vision while the right tackle now becomes his “blind side.”

In this snapshot, Brady is reading the field to his left, thus making the right tackle responsible for his blind side on this particular play. He is unable to see Von Miller and the result is a sack and a fumble.

To further the point, we compared pass rushers who rush from both sides of the line to see where they had the majority of their success.
    Pass Rush Snaps Sk Ht Hu Total Pressure PRP
    From Left End 15,924 306 344 1,132 1,782 8.9
    From Right End 18,516 331 377 1,121 1,829 7.9
    Total 35,034 644 737 2,284 3,665 8.3

Rushers with at least 100 attempts from each side of the line experienced a 1.0 difference inPass Rushing Productivity with it being more difficult when they matched up against left tackles.

The NFL’s strategy of putting the best pass protector at left tackle has forced defensive coordinators to…

Move Your Best Pass Rushers

With heavy investment in left tackles, defenses may have started to identify their best pass rushers and used them to attack the perceived weakness of the offensive line: the right tackle. As the table above shows, 2012 saw a major increase in left side pass rush success as 16 of the top 25 edge rushers in the league did the majority of their work on the left. Perhaps it was just a one-year anomaly, but even if the numbers returned to status quo, the pass rush threats who reside on the left side do not compare favorably, for the offense, to the talent and investment in the right tackle position around the league.
    So again, why is it that big of a deal to have a great LT (6 sacks, 27 games) lined up across from our #1 overall pick at RT? Sounds like an awesome situation to me...Certainly one that someone who has been clamoring for the O-line to be upgraded should love.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 05-03-2013 at 11:03 AM.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 446
    Given: 78

1 Not allowed!
    ProFootballFocus just had a great article on how the LT isn't that much more important than the RT (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...es-overvalued/). I have no beef w/ Fisher on the right side.
    I've always looked at it as every position on the O LINE is just as important if one of them misses there assignment there's going to be trouble. Reid say he really doesn't care who plays where as long as they have good players on the O line I agree. I don't think he has to play LT to show his worth his worth as the number 1 pick his worth will show based on how he plays wherever he plays on the line.
    ​BAN ROY

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast