Thread: Webnews: Trade unlikely, Chiefs hope to reach a deal with Branden

Hybrid View

Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 30

Post Webnews: Trade unlikely, Chiefs hope to reach a deal with Branden

0 Not allowed!
    By Michael David Smith
    The Kansas City Chiefs have moved their focus away from trading left tackle Branden Albert and are now trying to work out a long-term contract with him. All sides now view the much-discussed trade of Albert to the Dolphins as “dead,” Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports, and that means the Chiefs’ best option left… Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!
    kind of a waste to move Fisher to RT

Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 51

1 Not allowed!
    The Dolphins are are acting like they're not desperate to get Albert by bringing in FA OT's. The Chiefs are putting this out there to play the same game, basically saying, "we don't need to trade him and we'll just sign him longterm." It's just a game. If they do reach a long-term deal with Albert, I hope it's with the understanding that he's going to have to EARN the LT spot if he wants to stay there. I've got no problem putting the best guy at LT. If that's Albert, so be it. But it better not just be handed to him.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 665
    Given: 822

0 Not allowed!
    As jap1 reported on another thread, the Chiefs are sitting at about 3 mill under the cap. I don't see how a long term deal gets done with Albert in 2013. And I don't see there being pay cuts regarding Hali or Berry or Flowers, either.

No way should Fisher be lined up anywhere except LEFT TACKLE. If Albert stays somehow, he can play LG.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 473
    Given: 78

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    As jap1 reported on another thread, the Chiefs are sitting at about 3 mill under the cap. I don't see how a long term deal gets done with Albert in 2013. And I don't see there being pay cuts regarding Hali or Berry or Flowers, either.

No way should Fisher be lined up anywhere except LEFT TACKLE. If Albert stays somehow, he can play LG.
    I don't know if I would be willing to say that at this point. Fisher is a rookie you never know how a rookie is going to pick up the NFL game. If he's not picking it up and we do end up with Albert still there I think Albert should stay at LT. Fisher can play RT for a year get his feet wet if the need be. But if Fisher is picking everything up and looking good I agree.
    ​BAN ROY

Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 51

0 Not allowed!
    A long-term deal with Albert will give the Chiefs more cap room because won't count for $9.8m. He'd be somewhere between 6.9 and 8 if it got done.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    A long-term deal with Albert will give the Chiefs more cap room because won't count for $9.8m. He'd be somewhere between 6.9 and 8 if it got done.
    Ah yes, you are quite right. But even with that, he still has to play where they tell him to and Reid may very well want him to play LG. The Chiefs should not go any higher than what Charles and DJ are getting -- about 6 mill per year. If Albert still insists on top-5 LT money, than a long-term deal is not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I don't know if I would be willing to say that at this point. Fisher is a rookie you never know how a rookie is going to pick up the NFL game. If he's not picking it up and we do end up with Albert still there I think Albert should stay at LT. Fisher can play RT for a year get his feet wet if the need be. But if Fisher is picking everything up and looking good I agree.
    No reason to think that Fisher couldn't pick up things right away. He picked up the Raiders offense just fine at the Senior Bowl in one week. Plus, Fisher will get to practice against Hali and Houston many times before the season starts -- same as Matt Kalil did last year against Jared Allen up in Minnesota -- and should be ready to go on opening day, same as Kalil was last year.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 05-02-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    No reason to think that Fisher couldn't pick up things right away. He picked up the Raiders offense just fine at the Senior Bowl in one week. Plus, Fisher will get to practice against Hali and Houston many times before the season starts -- same as Matt Kalil did last year against Jared Allen up in Minnesota -- and should be ready to go on opening day, same as Kalil was last year.
    I agree he should and I think he will. But when it comes to rookies the only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure. I don't think they can just hand him the LT spot outright. I hope they have him earn it. I think he will.
    ​BAN ROY

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I agree he should and I think he will. But when it comes to rookies the only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure. I don't think they can just hand him the LT spot outright. I hope they have him earn it. I think he will.
    Worry not, Fisher will earn it. He possesses ruthless determination. Failure is not an option with him. It wasn't an option when he showed up at the Senior Bowl & he knows he got the same thing riding on his shoulders with the Chiefs ( probably more so ) and he's determined to prove he was the right choice for the Chiefs at #1. He's not thinking he's going to be an instant star just by stepping on the field, but rather that he's got something to prove. Somebody on the Chiefs practice field isn't going to enjoy lining up across from him on repeated occasions.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Worry not, Fisher will earn it. He possesses ruthless determination. Failure is not an option with him. It wasn't an option when he showed up at the Senior Bowl & he knows he got the same thing riding on his shoulders with the Chiefs ( probably more so ) and he's determined to prove he was the right choice for the Chiefs at #1. He's not thinking he's going to be an instant star just by stepping on the field, but rather that he's got something to prove. Somebody on the Chiefs practice field isn't going to enjoy lining up across from him on repeated occasions.
    I don't have much worry that he will earn it. I was just saying worst case if he should struggle to pick it up for whatever the reason Having him play RT for a year wouldn't be all that bad. Or just the first couple of games. If the need should arise we have Albert still who can play LT and Fisher can get his feet wet before being pluged in but that's the worst case
    ​BAN ROY

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast