Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: NFL Discussion

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Miles City, Montana
    Posts
    1,601
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 120

    Default NFL Discussion


    0 Not allowed!
    As much as I love to talk about the Chiefs, sometimes they are not doing much to warrant a discussion, so I thought a NFL thread would be great. Coach, if you feel this doesn't belond here, then go ahead and move it or lock it up. Use this thread for other teams/players news and other game discussions.

  2. #11
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,110
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 138

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    BTW, I just realized I read the poll backwards. 79% of those polled think the name Redskins is fine.

  3. #12
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Miles City, Montana
    Posts
    1,601
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 120

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    A year ago yesterday, Junior Seau took his own life. He was on a rival team, but he was damn good.

  4. #13
    Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,667
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 394
    Given: 75

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    A year ago yesterday, Junior Seau took his own life. He was on a rival team, but he was damn good.
    He was damn good. His jersey was the only non chiefs jersey that I have ever earned.

  5. #14
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,761
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 51

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    A few years back, I watched this kid out of New Braunfels high school, here close to San Antonio play my alma mater. The guy was a lights-out linebacker that needed to be double teamed and accounted for on every play. He was a difference maker and played at a level I had never seen from a high school linebacker. The kid was awesome! He got injured his senior year, but that didn't stop Oklahoma University from giving him a full ride and watching him become a starter for their program. Tom Wort is one of those players that has amazing talent, but just doesn't have the entire package. His history of injuries prevented him from being an elite player coming out of college and allowed him to go undrafted altogether. According to Sussex, the Chiefs wanted to sign Wort who certainly has the talent at ILB to become a force in the NFL if he's able to stay healthy, but the Titans scooped him up first. Even in HS, you could tell this kid had a chance to play on Sundays. It's a shame the Chiefs weren't able to bring this guy in. I predict that he'll make the Titan's squad as an UDFA.
    Last edited by texaschief; 05-03-2013 at 02:37 PM.

  6. #15
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,761
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 51

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Supposedly there was a new poll out that people would be willing to accept a change of name to the Redtails (as in a redtail hawk). It would let them keep the feathers on their logo, as well as their team colors, but be more PC.

    Im kinda torn on it. I think it is insulting. I mean, you wouldnt allow a team to be called the LA wetbacks, San Fran Chinks, Georgia N-words, etc and it is pretty much the same thing. That having been said, I dont think redskin is actually used as a slur against Native Americans anymore (then again I am not connected to the Native American community). I wouldnt be opposed to a change, and I think it is just a matter of time for when it will happen.

    I also dont think this has any implications on the Chiefs. Chiefs is a title in Native American culture, it isnt an insult, so I would think we would be ok. This argument came up in my high school (The Braves) and it got shot down because of the fact that a brave was honorable (As long as we didnt have a mascot that made an idiot of himself dressed in native american garb).

    I know the team/NFL/ apparel companies do not want the change because it would come at a huge cost of re-designing logos, merchandise, discarded of already manufactured merchandise, etc.

    I'm so sick of the "PC" culture we're allowing to run rampant all across this country. If the franchise had meant it in a derogatory manner, they wouldn't have named the franchise the "Redskins." The skin in this country is getting so thin, we're almost transparent. Everyone is starting to feel like they have to walk around on egg shells just so we don't offend anyone. It's such B.S. Either we have the first ammendment or we don't. There's no in between. One of the consequences to free speech is that someone has the open right to offend you. It's a small price to pay for the cornerstone of our republic.

  7. #16
    Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Default The stronghold


    0 Not allowed!
    I don't think you understand, I myself am Native American. ( Oglala Lakota Sioux ) From the Pine Ridge Indian reservation. And I'm deeply offended by the name redskin. Especially in todays American culture. People look at us, as if we are dead. As in, we don't exist, Gone for ever, kind of like a Viking, or buccaneer, or a raider. get my point. Why is it, that American can lie, cheat, steal, and commit genocide only a century ago, and people forget... This whole country is based off of Native Americans. (do your own research). And if you don't believe me. Look at our military, everything is named and based off of native americans. Not too long ago Europeans and other white cultures would stand in a line and shoot at each other. like it was some kind of game..(almost got carried away)... All im saying is, its time to understand that we native americans are still alive and posses the power to change an outrageous pro sports name that was intented to fool the public, that the Indian is dead, and lets honor them by having a pro sports team named after them. Get your mind right. This name would not stand as blackskins, even if you wanted to honor Martin L King, or any other great black man in America. And for the record GO CHIEFS...
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I'm so sick of the "PC" culture we're allowing to run rampant all across this country. If the franchise had meant it in a derogatory manner, they wouldn't have named the franchise the "Redskins." The skin in this country is getting so thin, we're almost transparent. Everyone is starting to feel like they have to walk around on egg shells just so we don't offend anyone. It's such B.S. Either we have the first ammendment or we don't. There's no in between. One of the consequences to free speech is that someone has the open right to offend you. It's a small price to pay for the cornerstone of our republic.

  8. #17
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,761
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 51

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SBV_Eagle_Bull View Post
    I don't think you understand, I myself am Native American. ( Oglala Lakota Sioux ) From the Pine Ridge Indian reservation. And I'm deeply offended by the name redskin. Especially in todays American culture. People look at us, as if we are dead. As in, we don't exist, Gone for ever, kind of like a Viking, or buccaneer, or a raider. get my point. Why is it, that American can lie, cheat, steal, and commit genocide only a century ago, and people forget... This whole country is based off of Native Americans. (do your own research). And if you don't believe me. Look at our military, everything is named and based off of native americans. Not too long ago Europeans and other white cultures would stand in a line and shoot at each other. like it was some kind of game..(almost got carried away)... All im saying is, its time to understand that we native americans are still alive and posses the power to change an outrageous pro sports name that was intented to fool the public, that the Indian is dead, and lets honor them by having a pro sports team named after them. Get your mind right. This name would not stand as blackskins, even if you wanted to honor Martin L King, or any other great black man in America. And for the record GO CHIEFS...

    Wow... you are reading WAY too much into that name. Did Seattle name their franchise after a bird that no longer exists? How bout the Ravens? Dolphins? Eagles? Falcons? Broncos? Texans? How bout the Cowboys? Do Saints no longer exist or do they offend you as well because they're tied to Christianity? Were those franchises trying to tell us that all of those things "no longer exist?" Get real. If I have to tolerate you saying that "white Americans lie, cheat, steal, and commit genocide," then you should have to tolerate a franchise being named the "Redskins." I refuse to partake in this "white American" guilt every minority tries to push on the people of today that had absolutely NOTHING to do with the happenings of North America hundreds of years ago.

    Native American genocide is greatly exaggerated. The REAL evidence suggests the Native American population was wiped out by plague just before Europeans arrived. The population of the Eastern seaboard rivaled the current population before plague wiped the natives out. If the Vikings couldn't raid the Native American villages, the Red Coats wouldn't be able to either.

    I've done my own research. If you really want to get into this, I'd be happy to oblige. Just because you claim to be Native American does not make you an expert on the subject. Along with my writing about the Chiefs, I'm also a big history, religion, and philosophy buff. This "white American" guilt b.s. isn't going to fly with me. Despite what you think you've learned from Hollywood about our history, the white Christians who settled this land weren't the horrible monsters you and other minorities would like to portray them as. I won't allow myself to be victimized by the guilt minorities try to lay at my feet because you think your ancestors were too naive and helpless to defend themselves against what you believe was a superior force that had to arrive here 100 people at a time by ship... that doesn't make any sense.

    Millions of Native Americans who lined the east coast weren't defeated by a few ships full of Europeans. If the Europeans were so bad, there's no way in hell the Natives would have let them off the boat. It would be like Americans trying to go and settle China RIGHT NOW. I don't care how advanced our weaponry is, do you honestly think we could send a bunch of ships over there right now and conquer a country if all those people didn't want us there?

    Just stop it. How anyone who is "deeply offended" by the term "Redskin" could watch the NFL year in and year is absolutely astonishing. If I'm deeply offended by something that's constantly talked about or mentioned, I remove MYSELF from that particular activity. I don't partake in liberal discussions, I don't watch Bill Maher, I don't listen to atheistic arguments, I don't listen to rap music or watch certain "comedians." It is THEIR right to say what they want. Why should I force them to change their views and the things they say just because it offends me? If you don't believe in the constitution, you were granted immunity from our laws on reservations. You have the option not to partake in this culture if you so choose. But, if you are going to be a part of the United States of America, that means you respect the right of ANYONE to say what ever they damn well please. Neither God nor the Constitution guarantees you the right to go through life without being offended.

    Put your big boy pants on and realize it's just the name of a sports franchise. If they change it, so what. It's not THAT important. But do yourself a favor and stop going out of your way to try and find a reason to be offended. That has to be exhausting.

  9. #18
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    28,043
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 246
    Given: 436

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    ...Went ahead and moved this to the "Locker Room" with a redirect that expires in a week.


  10. #19
    Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Default The strong hold


    0 Not allowed!
    You took things way out of text, with your 6 paragraph rant.... And for the record, you don't know what its like to be native American. I do. You talk like you know my life style, like you've walked in my shoes.. Im from a reservation/prison camp. Its not like your world of fresh water, great housing, big economy. We suffer from from 3rd world problems, unlike your first world problems. You get upset cause your Iphone don't have service, we get upset cause we have no lights or water... My people suffered for many years from this tyranny....... I will not let people like you forget that, we Native americans are the backbone of this country. And we will not stand for the color of our skin as a pro sports team. . this is bigger than you realize pops. ME and my people are on a rise, and your media cannot hide it anymore. So please pray for us as we do for you. we are all related in the way of mother earth. Don't let your ignorance fly, it makes your look stupid, and your better than that. Hoka Hey
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Wow... you are reading WAY too much into that name. Did Seattle name their franchise after a bird that no longer exists? How bout the Ravens? Dolphins? Eagles? Falcons? Broncos? Texans? How bout the Cowboys? Do Saints no longer exist or do they offend you as well because they're tied to Christianity? Were those franchises trying to tell us that all of those things "no longer exist?" Get real. If I have to tolerate you saying that "white Americans lie, cheat, steal, and commit genocide," then you should have to tolerate a franchise being named the "Redskins." I refuse to partake in this "white American" guilt every minority tries to push on the people of today that had absolutely NOTHING to do with the happenings of North America hundreds of years ago.

    Native American genocide is greatly exaggerated. The REAL evidence suggests the Native American population was wiped out by plague just before Europeans arrived. The population of the Eastern seaboard rivaled the current population before plague wiped the natives out. If the Vikings couldn't raid the Native American villages, the Red Coats wouldn't be able to either.

    I've done my own research. If you really want to get into this, I'd be happy to oblige. Just because you claim to be Native American does not make you an expert on the subject. Along with my writing about the Chiefs, I'm also a big history, religion, and philosophy buff. This "white American" guilt b.s. isn't going to fly with me. Despite what you think you've learned from Hollywood about our history, the white Christians who settled this land weren't the horrible monsters you and other minorities would like to portray them as. I won't allow myself to be victimized by the guilt minorities try to lay at my feet because you think your ancestors were too naive and helpless to defend themselves against what you believe was a superior force that had to arrive here 100 people at a time by ship... that doesn't make any sense.

    Millions of Native Americans who lined the east coast weren't defeated by a few ships full of Europeans. If the Europeans were so bad, there's no way in hell the Natives would have let them off the boat. It would be like Americans trying to go and settle China RIGHT NOW. I don't care how advanced our weaponry is, do you honestly think we could send a bunch of ships over there right now and conquer a country if all those people didn't want us there?

    Just stop it. How anyone who is "deeply offended" by the term "Redskin" could watch the NFL year in and year is absolutely astonishing. If I'm deeply offended by something that's constantly talked about or mentioned, I remove MYSELF from that particular activity. I don't partake in liberal discussions, I don't watch Bill Maher, I don't listen to atheistic arguments, I don't listen to rap music or watch certain "comedians." It is THEIR right to say what they want. Why should I force them to change their views and the things they say just because it offends me? If you don't believe in the constitution, you were granted immunity from our laws on reservations. You have the option not to partake in this culture if you so choose. But, if you are going to be a part of the United States of America, that means you respect the right of ANYONE to say what ever they damn well please. Neither God nor the Constitution guarantees you the right to go through life without being offended.

    Put your big boy pants on and realize it's just the name of a sports franchise. If they change it, so what. It's not THAT important. But do yourself a favor and stop going out of your way to try and find a reason to be offended. That has to be exhausting.

  11. #20
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Miles City, Montana
    Posts
    1,601
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 120

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Damn, got moved :( oh well

    Kluwe was released by the Vikings. I like this guy (even if he is outspoken)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. kc vs az game discussion
    By Lord-Chiefy in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 09:35 AM
  2. Official Live Draft Discussion Thread
    By TopekaRoy in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 263
    Last Post: 04-29-2012, 04:46 PM
  3. Faiders / Sparklers game discussion
    By Pro_Angler in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 12-13-2010, 11:05 AM
  4. **Official Draft Discussion**
    By texaschief in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 01-11-2010, 12:04 AM
  5. Cowboys fan here for serious game discussion...
    By Bluestar76 in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 10-12-2009, 09:52 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •