Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Webnews: If Chiefs go 8-8, they owe 49ers a second

Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 27

Post Webnews: If Chiefs go 8-8, they owe 49ers a second

1 Not allowed!
    By Darin Gantt
    The 49ers used Kansas City’s second-round pick this year to add another pick in the third round next year. And depending on how the Chiefs play, it could net the 49ers yet another second-rounder next year. Peter King of Sports Illustrated has filled in the blanks on the conditional 2014 pick the Chiefs owe the… Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!
    Well, basically 2 2nds.....

Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 22

1 Not allowed!
    Dumb dumb dumb. If this team goes 8-8 and is out a 2nd round pick, I just don't get this trade. Alex will be going into the final year of his contract and the team is basically no better than it was during Haley's tenure.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 120

0 Not allowed!
    I really never liked this trade, but what can you do.........

Thumbs Up
    Received: 591
    Given: 774

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Dumb dumb dumb. If this team goes 8-8 and is out a 2nd round pick, I just don't get this trade. Alex will be going into the final year of his contract and the team is basically no better than it was during Haley's tenure.
    What would you have had them do? Go forward with no proven QB that had any track record at all? So they can can keep right on losing & perhaps draft your franchise QB, who'll most likely bust just like the previous 17 they drafted since 1970?

And why so certain that they won't get an extension done with Alex Smith at the proper time?

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    What would you have had them do? Go forward with no proven QB that had any track record at all? So they can can keep right on losing & perhaps draft your franchise QB, who'll most likely bust just like the previous 17 they drafted since 1970?

And why so certain that they won't get an extension done with Alex Smith at the proper time?
    The previous quarterbacks drafted and their crappiness have ZERO effect at all on any future QBs this organization drafts. For one, this is a completely new regime, with a new head coach and GM...Both of whom have drafted and developed MULTIPLE quarterbacks. It's also not a conditional probability. Just like if a coin lands on heads 17 times in a row, there is no greater or lesser chance that the next flip lands on tails.

The Alex Smith trade is what it is. It could work out and he could win the next 6 Super Bowls and all is well. But all we have to go off of is his previous track record, and I don't think that was worthy of #34 overall in 2013 AND a 2nd or 3rd in 2014. And if 8-8 is where you're setting the bar at whether or not that goes up to a 2nd rounder, well then you're not exactly setting it that high. Why not negotiate for it to be a playoff berth before they get another 2nd? I mean, I have a hard time believing SF would pass that up, knowing they are going to have to pay their backup QB $8.5M. But that's why Trent Baalke is running one of the best franchises in the NFL, because he got more out of KC than most thought Alex Smith was worth.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 05-06-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!
    The previous quarterbacks drafted and their crappiness have ZERO effect at all on any future QBs this organization drafts. For one, this is a completely new regime, with a new head coach and GM...Both of whom have drafted and developed MULTIPLE quarterbacks. It's also not a conditional probability. Just like if a coin lands on heads 17 times in a row, there is no greater or lesser chance that the next flip lands on tails.

The Alex Smith trade is what it is. It could work out and he could win the next 6 Super Bowls and all is well. But all we have to go off of is his previous track record, and I don't think that was worthy of #34 overall in 2013 AND a 2nd or 3rd in 2014. And if 8-8 is where you're setting the bar at whether or not that goes up to a 2nd rounder, well then you're not exactly setting it that high. Why not negotiate for it to be a playoff berth before they get another 2nd? I mean, I have a hard time believing SF would pass that up, knowing they are going to have to pay their backup QB $8.5M. But that's why Trent Baalke is running one of the best franchises in the NFL, because he got more out of KC than most thought Alex Smith was worth.
    So what would you have done, kept cassel, reached for an unproven in the 2nd round this year? Alex Smith was a former #1 overall, who had a QB rating of 109 before he got hurt and replaced with lightning in a bottle... If he can be accurate as last year and manage this team with limited turnovers it is well worth the 2 and 2 we gave up. There wasn't one free agent or QB in this draft that is at this level and 2 and 2 may end up being a steal. With the limited options available, this is a great deal for KC, and a great deal for the 49ers if Kaepernick stays healthy. We will know a lot more come October and we have 4 games to judge.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 591
    Given: 774

0 Not allowed!

It DOESN'T matter what regime is in place -- the track record has been unshakeable. The franchise has been cursed, regardless of who was in place, and what success they had elsewhere. I don't care about what you think of percentages of coin flips. Alex Smith was the best option out there & the 49ers were not going to cut him & you keep forgetting there were other teams bidding to trade for his services. If the Chiefs had been the only team offering to trade to the 49ers for Alex Smith, the cost might have been a bit lower.

You keep bemoaning about what the Chiefs gave up for Smith & yet you were all on board with them spending the #5 overall pick in 2010 on a Safety and giving him a 6-yr 60 million dollar contract with 34.5 mil guaranteed. Tell us, which move is really dumber. There is no logic to that whatsoever & I'll take giving up a pair of 2nd rounders for a decent veteran QB that has proven he can win in the NFL & is very much in his prime over spending the #5 on a Safety -- ANYTIME !!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 78

1 Not allowed!

First I agree 100% on the previous qbs drafted having zero meaning. It would be stupid to say that since we have failed at the whole drafting a QB thing in the past we just shouldn't do it anymore. It wouldn't be those same QBs and the same people drafting them. You at some point have to try until you get it right. Giving up on it is not the thing to do.

But I will say again his track record while not meaningless also doesn't hold a lot of weight IMO. Alex Smith as I have stated in other threads has never played with the talent around him that he will in KC. He has never taken a snap in an Andy Reid Offense. I have listed in the past how if the talent and the system wasn't right around a qb how even a great superbowl winning QB can struggle.(Kurt Warner,Brett Farve) What he has done in the past does have some meaning but not much
    ​BAN ROY

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    I'm just conditioned to never having anything nice with this team, so my initial thoughts are that they go 8-8 and lose a 2nd round pick, because that's just the Chiefs thing to do...Hopefully they go 10-6, win a playoff game, and all is better.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast