Thread: Looking back 89-96 KC Chiefs

Default Looking back 89-96 KC Chiefs

A few years ago I converted my VHS games to DVD's. I recorded every game that was on national TV (before DirecTV) for years. I watched a few games in the past weeks & one season really stuck out (1990) I always thought that was our year! Steve DeBerg 23 TD's 4 INT's was amazing! Not to mention he had a huge pin in his finger. Does anyone remember the Wild Card game? We blew that game vs. Miami 17-16! I never thought Dave Szott was holding. That killed a huge run by Okoye which brought us to the 8 yard line, instead we were pushed back & Nick Lowery missed the 52 yard FG (dead-on) short by less then a foot! Our team was loaded that year! Top to bottom. Ahh..memories!
    KC Chiefs fan since 1965!
    Home of the Middle East! Istanbul Club.

Wow.....I'm getting very old! Geez....I thought some 40+ people would chime-in! Seems like these boards are for the super-young people! Too bad many of you didn't watch the Chiefs in the early 90's when were a great team! Yes....3 yards & a cloud of dust many of the times....But I love when Steve DeBerg (best play action faker of all-time) would throw to Stephone Paige for 60+ yards! If wish some of you younger guys could see it back in the day! You missed so much, Derrick Thomas, Dan Saleumua, Kevin Ross, Neil Smith & one of the BEST CB of all-time (Albert Lewis) I spoke my peace. I guess I'm just old now!
    KC Chiefs fan since 1965!
    Home of the Middle East! Istanbul Club.

I remember those years though not very much I had moved to Dallas in 1979 and did not get much info on the Chiefs here and got to see about one or two games a year usually. I remember DeBerg and the rest of the players you named they were a good team and just kept missing out. I also remember the SB team of the '60 and there is another team that was loaded with talent, we have had more that a few good years with the Chiefs just not many SB teams. I would sure like to see us field one of those great teams again.

I think part of the problem right now is there is nothing about the Chiefs to talk about.

I remember that game. Deberg with that huge splint on his finger. Thought we had it. Thought we were going to advance. We had a pretty good lead going to the 4th quarter and lost!AAArrrrgghhh!!!!!! That's this 50+ chiming in

A heart breaking loss for sure, another one was in "93" in the AFC Championship game in Buffalo. I was sure that was going to be our year.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    A heart breaking loss for sure, another one was in "93" in the AFC Championship game in Buffalo. I was sure that was going to be our year.
    Actually, 1997 should have been their year. But, they threw it down the drain by not letting Rich Gannon play in the playoff game against Denver, plus the rotten officiating in that game. The Chiefs really were the best team in football finishing that season as in the last 4 games they outscored their opposition 128-29 & Gannon's great QB play along with the NFL's best Defense were a major reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Actually, 1997 should have been their year. But, they threw it down the drain by not letting Rich Gannon play in the playoff game against Denver, plus the rotten officiating in that game. The Chiefs really were the best team in football finishing that season as in the last 4 games they outscored their opposition 128-29 & Gannon's great QB play along with the NFL's best Defense were a major reason why.
    Good point. I think we're all right! LOL! I hated the fact that we let Gannon go to the Raiders while we kept Grbac. It's painful just thinking about it.

All our correct!!! Steve Deberg was great that year! Do not get me started on Marty's biggest mistake as Head Coach of the Chiefs! Gannon was a leader and playmaker.