Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Webnews: Chiefs, Branden Albert talking contract, but no deal yet

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,352
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 30

    Post Webnews: Chiefs, Branden Albert talking contract, but no deal yet


    0 Not allowed!
    By Michael David Smith
    The status of Chiefs left tackle Branden Albert has been a topic of conversation throughout the offseason, and with the deadline for franchise players to sign long-term contracts looming, it continues to be a situation that bears monitoring. Albert has signed his franchise tender, so there are no concerns about a training camp holdout, but… Read more…

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,508
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 665
    Given: 822

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    There you have it. The deadline has passed and there has been no long-term deal announced -- just as I predicted. The Chiefs don't need to hand out a long-term contract to Albert in 2013. Eric Fisher will probably take over the LT spot in 2014, anyway, and the Chiefs already have two candidates on their roster for the RT spot in 2014 in Allen and Stephenson.

    Kudos to John Dorsey for playing the cards correctly on this one & having the balls to draft Fisher -- something Pioli would not have had the courage to do.

    Now let's hope Fisher gets signed in time for training camp.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 07-15-2013 at 08:10 PM.

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,589
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 163

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    There you have it. The deadline has passed and there has been no long-term deal announced -- just as I predicted. The Chiefs don't need to hand out a long-term contract to Albert in 2013. Eric Fisher will probably take over the LT spot in 2014, anyway, and the Chiefs already have two candidates on their roster for the RT spot in 2014 in Allen and Stephenson.

    Kudos to John Dorsey for playing the cards correctly on this one & having the balls to draft Fisher -- something Pioli would not have had the courage to do.

    Now let's hope Fisher gets signed in time for training camp.
    My biggest concern is now how are they going to sign Fisher without restructuring someone else. We only have $3mil and change left in salary cap room.

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,508
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 665
    Given: 822

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    My biggest concern is now how are they going to sign Fisher without restructuring someone else. We only have $3mil and change left in salary cap room.
    I am thinking the same thought. Somebody is going to be traded or just flat out get axe, obviously.

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,589
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 163

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I am thinking the same thought. Somebody is going to be traded or just flat out get axe, obviously.
    I could see someone getting restructured. I believe Hali's cap hit is 15 mil this year and 11 next year. I am sure he would consider restructuring to move 2 mil from this year to next year, especially if we make more of it guaranteed. Granted the team is taking more of a risk if he gets injured by doing that, but it beats cutting some people who we may need to contribute.

    Im curious to see how this is handled.

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    28,160
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 454

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    My biggest concern is now how are they going to sign Fisher without restructuring someone else. We only have $3mil and change left in salary cap room.
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I am thinking the same thought. Somebody is going to be traded or just flat out get axe, obviously.
    Help me out guys because I really don't know. How does the rookie cap fit in all this. Will we have restructure contracts even with the cap?


  7. #7
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,508
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 665
    Given: 822

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Help me out guys because I really don't know. How does the rookie cap fit in all this. Will we have restructure contracts even with the cap?
    AFAIK, the rookie salary cap DOES fit in towards the overall team salary cap. Meaning they will have to free up some space somehow to sign Fisher as I believe what jap1 said about being 3 mill under the cap right now is accurate.

  8. #8
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,589
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 163

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Here is the source for salary cap info that I use: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap-hit/

    I was under the impression that the rookie's salaries counted against the cap, and thus we would have to include Fisher's numbers. However, looking at the salary signed by the #2 pick, he is getting 3mil/yr plus like a 10+mil signing bonus. So that may be what ends up happening with Fisher.

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,589
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 163

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    After a quick google search, here are some articles that say the "Rookie pool" comes out of your salary cap.

    http://overthecap.com/explaining-the...he-salary-cap/ (this one even references the Chiefs!)

    http://russellstreetreport.com/expla...ctually-works/

  10. #10
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,508
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 665
    Given: 822

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Thanks jap for the links. Whatever happens, I hope they sign Fisher and get him going from training camp day 1, so he doesn't miss a beat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Webnews: Report: Chiefs, Branden Albert expected to talk contract
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2013, 07:00 PM
  2. Webnews: Branden Albert: I was never disgruntled
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-15-2013, 04:22 PM
  3. Webnews: Branden Albert will be at Chiefs practice next week
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-14-2013, 07:17 PM
  4. Webnews: Trade unlikely, Chiefs hope to reach a deal with Branden
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-05-2013, 10:20 PM
  5. Webnews: Jeff Ireland says Branden Albert trade could still happe
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-04-2013, 01:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •