Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webnews: Chiefs, Branden Albert talking contract, but no deal yet

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 27

Post Webnews: Chiefs, Branden Albert talking contract, but no deal yet

0 Not allowed!
    By Michael David Smith
    The status of Chiefs left tackle Branden Albert has been a topic of conversation throughout the offseason, and with the deadline for franchise players to sign long-term contracts looming, it continues to be a situation that bears monitoring. Albert has signed his franchise tender, so there are no concerns about a training camp holdout, but… Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 544
    Given: 747

1 Not allowed!
    There you have it. The deadline has passed and there has been no long-term deal announced -- just as I predicted. The Chiefs don't need to hand out a long-term contract to Albert in 2013. Eric Fisher will probably take over the LT spot in 2014, anyway, and the Chiefs already have two candidates on their roster for the RT spot in 2014 in Allen and Stephenson.

Kudos to John Dorsey for playing the cards correctly on this one & having the balls to draft Fisher -- something Pioli would not have had the courage to do.

Now let's hope Fisher gets signed in time for training camp.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 07-15-2013 at 07:10 PM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 129

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    There you have it. The deadline has passed and there has been no long-term deal announced -- just as I predicted. The Chiefs don't need to hand out a long-term contract to Albert in 2013. Eric Fisher will probably take over the LT spot in 2014, anyway, and the Chiefs already have two candidates on their roster for the RT spot in 2014 in Allen and Stephenson.

Kudos to John Dorsey for playing the cards correctly on this one & having the balls to draft Fisher -- something Pioli would not have had the courage to do.

Now let's hope Fisher gets signed in time for training camp.
    My biggest concern is now how are they going to sign Fisher without restructuring someone else. We only have $3mil and change left in salary cap room.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    My biggest concern is now how are they going to sign Fisher without restructuring someone else. We only have $3mil and change left in salary cap room.
    I am thinking the same thought. Somebody is going to be traded or just flat out get axe, obviously.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 129

0 Not allowed!
    I am thinking the same thought. Somebody is going to be traded or just flat out get axe, obviously.
    I could see someone getting restructured. I believe Hali's cap hit is 15 mil this year and 11 next year. I am sure he would consider restructuring to move 2 mil from this year to next year, especially if we make more of it guaranteed. Granted the team is taking more of a risk if he gets injured by doing that, but it beats cutting some people who we may need to contribute.

Im curious to see how this is handled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 421

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Help me out guys because I really don't know. How does the rookie cap fit in all this. Will we have restructure contracts even with the cap?

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Help me out guys because I really don't know. How does the rookie cap fit in all this. Will we have restructure contracts even with the cap?
    AFAIK, the rookie salary cap DOES fit in towards the overall team salary cap. Meaning they will have to free up some space somehow to sign Fisher as I believe what jap1 said about being 3 mill under the cap right now is accurate.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 421

0 Not allowed!
    AFAIK, the rookie salary cap DOES fit in towards the overall team salary cap. Meaning they will have to free up some space somehow to sign Fisher as I believe what jap1 said about being 3 mill under the cap right now is accurate.
    I'll take your word for it. I had to google AFAIK to find out what it meant, just to show you how old I am.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!
    So are we 100% sure the Chiefs are only 3 million under the cap. The last I had heard was that the 3 million included the projected rookie slotting allowing us still 3 million in addition to the rookies to potentionally sign another Free agent.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    So are we 100% sure the Chiefs are only 3 million under the cap. The last I had heard was that the 3 million included the projected rookie slotting allowing us still 3 million in addition to the rookies to potentionally sign another Free agent.
    That the part I'm NOT 100% certain about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast