Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith (from Niners fan)

Default Alex Smith (from Niners fan)

I have not looked, but I can only imagine that there has been some furious debates on here regarding Alex since last February. As a devoted life-long niner fan, I might be able to give you a little insight on his play and development. I have seen every snap Alex Smith has taken in a niner uni and most of his final season at Utah. When he first came into league he was lost and team was atrocious. The current Oakland Raiders probably have better overall talent than the niners did then. He had no weapons. No real offensive line. He turned the ball over constantly. IMO he had worse rookie showing that Blaine Gabbert. Under Norv Turner he began to look like competent Qb. Took huge step back when Turner left. Went through injuries and benching under Mike Nolan and was benched again under Mike Singletary. The Smith I saw after Harbaugh took over is a different player. For what its worth, this what KC probably gets with Smith: - Smart QB, used to have horrible turnover issues which seem to have been corrected over time
    - Very efficient passer, does not throw many incompletions when he gets into rhythm
    - Not strongest arm in world, but not bad.Actually throws pretty nice deep ball, just doesn’t throw it often
    - Risk averse, will take sack rather than throw ball up for risky pass.
    - No gunslinger mentality whatsoever. Helps avoid turnovers, but rarely comes back from large deficits
    - Much better athlete than given credit for, can be fairly mobile
    - Has not proven he can win without elite coaching staff, defense or running game
    - Tends to hold on to the ball too long sometimes
    - Very good at learning new systems, had to learn about 7 of them with niners inept OC turnover
    - Loves to check down to RB or TE, receivers numbers will probably drop
    - Model team mate and will do whatever is asked of him
    - Does not have small hands, for what its worth(that was odd rumor that floated for years)
    Last edited by DMH; 08-15-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks for the Input

I'm hoping you might be able to answer this I've asked those bashing Smith over and over again only to have the questioned Ignored but did anyone really play well under Nolan/Singletary at QB? Or would you say the horrid coaching had a big role in the struggles? Just want to get a niners fans view one that actually watched the game.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Thanks for the Input

I'm hoping you might be able to answer this I've asked those bashing Smith over and over again only to have the questioned Ignored but did anyone really play well under Nolan/Singletary at QB? Or would you say the horrid coaching had a big role in the struggles? Just want to get a niners fans view one that actually watched the game.
    Sure. The best answer to that is no one played well. The Niners qbs in Nolan/Singletary years were collection of washed up vets, misfits and damaged young players (ie Smith). The best Qbing in that era was Smith with Turner at OC and Shaun Hill (who was actually benched in favor of Smith during beat down in Houston). Worst of both worlds, bad coaching and poor qb play.

Quote Originally Posted by DMH View Post
    I have not looked, but I can only imagine that there has been some furious debates on here regarding Alex since last February. As a devoted life-long niner fan, I might be able to give you a little insight on his play and development. I have seen every snap Alex Smith has taken in a niner uni and most of his final season at Utah. When he first came into league he was lost and team was atrocious. The current Oakland Raiders probably have better overall talent than the niners did then. He had no weapons. No real offensive line. He turned the ball over constantly. IMO he had worse rookie showing that Blaine Gabbert. Under Norv Turner he began to look like competent Qb. Took huge step back when Turner left. Went through injuries and benching under Mike Nolan and was benched again under Mike Singletary. The Smith I saw after Harbaugh took over is a different player. For what its worth, this what KC probably gets with Smith: - Smart QB, used to have horrible turnover issues which seem to have been corrected over time
    - Very efficient passer, does not throw many incompletions when he gets into rhythm
    - Not strongest arm in world, but not bad.Actually throws pretty nice deep ball, just doesn’t throw it often
    - Risk averse, will take sack rather than throw ball up for risky pass.
    - No gunslinger mentality whatsoever. Helps avoid turnovers, but rarely comes back from large deficits
    - Much better athlete than given credit for, can be fairly mobile
    - Has not proven he can win without elite coaching staff, defense or running game
    - Tends to hold on to the ball too long sometimes
    - Very good at learning new systems, had to learn about 7 of them with niners inept OC turnover
    - Loves to check down to RB or TE, receivers numbers will probably drop
    - Model team mate and will do whatever is asked of him
    - Does not have small hands, for what its worth(that was odd rumor that floated for years)

Please don't ever leave.

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    Please don't ever leave.
    Don't know why you would want that what DMH has described is far from the noodle arm Cassel 2.0 you have gone on and on about. Like the risk averse part and the fact that he throws a nice deep ball (but not often) None of which feeds into what you have been saying with the Cassel 2.0 line
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Don't know why you would want that what DMH has described is far from the noodle arm Cassel 2.0 you have gone on and on about. Like the risk averse part and the fact that he throws a nice deep ball (but not often) None of which feeds into what you have been saying with the Cassel 2.0 line

The description of those points is of a game manager.

The description of those points is of a game manager.
    Mostly

But not Cassel 2.0 which what you have said Cassel wasn't a low risk taker Smith is. Smith can throw the deep ball just doesn't do it often or hasn't with the 49ers maybe he will more with Reid and the Chiefs maybe he won't All I'm saying and mostly all others have been objecting to your thoughts on Smith is the comparing him to Cassel. They have some things in common but that can be said of any NFL QB. Alex Smith isn't Matt Cassel is all most of us who have responded to you are trying to say
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by DMH View Post
    - Very efficient passer, does not throw many incompletions when he gets into rhythm (Not Cassel)- Not strongest arm in world, but not bad.Actually throws pretty nice deep ball, just doesn’t throw it often (Cassel)- Risk averse, will take sack rather than throw ball up for risky pass. (Not Cassel)
    - No gunslinger mentality whatsoever. Helps avoid turnovers, but rarely comes back from large deficits (Cassel)
    - Much better athlete than given credit for, can be fairly mobile (Cassel, but not a negative)- Has not proven he can win without elite coaching staff, defense or running game (Cassel x100,000,000,000,000)- Tends to hold on to the ball too long sometimes (Cassel, sacked massive amount of times in 2008 with a very good Patriots team surrounding him)- Very good at learning new systems, had to learn about 7 of them with niners inept OC turnover
    - Loves to check down to RB or TE, receivers numbers will probably drop (Cassel)
    - Model team mate and will do whatever is asked of him ( Cassel)- Does not have small hands, for what its worth(that was odd rumor that floated for years)

A lot more similarities than differences.

Mostly

But not Cassel 2.0 which what you have said Cassel wasn't a low risk taker Smith is. Smith can throw the deep ball just doesn't do it often or hasn't with the 49ers maybe he will more with Reid and the Chiefs maybe he won't All I'm saying and mostly all others have been objecting to your thoughts on Smith is the comparing him to Cassel. They have some things in common but that can be said of any NFL QB. Alex Smith isn't Matt Cassel is all most of us who have responded to you are trying to say

There are a lot more similarities than differences, look at the post above.

There are a lot more similarities than differences, look at the post above.
    Any difference means he's not Cassel 2.0

And the only thing I disagree with you're comparison is the deep ball. Cassel throws a nice deep ball? His deep balls were not accurate at all they were a tad high which is part of the reason so many got tiped of the wrs hands into the arms of the other team.

As for the elite coaching thing I think you can say the same thing about most QBS. Peyton Manning had struggles in getting wins until Tony Dungy got there in fact the year before Dungy got there he was 6-10 And he never won a playoff game until Dungy got there either. Tom Brady has never won a game without Bill Belichick. Good Coaching helps everyone bad coaching can hurt everyone.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast