Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Camp reports

Default Camp reports

I usually look up in the KC star how things are going. I thought I would post this on here for a few of you to read and maybe comment on as I found some of it interesting since I didn't even Know who Agnew was. Looks Like Houston is kicking Fisher's butt...

Rookie Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce settles into a groove
    Updated: 2013-07-29T03:53:25Z
    July 28
    The offense
    Order Reprints
    More NewsDaniel holds for kicks
    Rookie Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce settles into a groove
    Offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz shows off his versatility at Chiefs camp
    Dwayne Bowe back at Chiefs practice after recovering from virus
    Ready for some football? A fan’s guide to training camp with the Chiefs
    Read more ChiefsRookie tight end Travis Kelce appears to be settling into a groove, as he and backup QB Chase Daniel connected for the best offensive play of the day. Daniel lofted a pass along the left sideline that Kelce somehow hauled in over three defenders. The quarterbacks spent much of the day working the middle of the field. Alex Smith found tight end Tony Moeaki wide open. Rookie running back Knile Davis has struggled to hold on to the ball in camp, but showed improvement in this area Sunday. He also showed promise as a runner, exploding through the line on a run to the left and speeding up the sideline untouched. Receiver Jonathan Baldwin dropped a wide-open pass early in the practice but came on strong as the day went on, catching a TD pass over the middle.
    The defense
    The defense spent a healthy portion of practice working on its blitz schemes, and at times it worked, as the pass rush forced the quarterbacks to either miss the intended receiver or take a sack. Linebackers Tamba Hali and Justin Houston led the charge. Hali had a sack early in 11-on-11, while rookie first-round pick Eric Fisher had his hands full with Houston all morning. Though Houston jumped off-sides once during 11-on-11, he twice sped past Fisher during pass protection drills — a teammate even came over and smacked Fisher on the tail to encourage him — before he finally stopped Houston by negating a bull rush. The defensive play of the day came from cornerback Vince Agnew, who made a leaping, one-handed interception on a downfield pass by Ricky Stanzi.
    Injury report
    G Jeff Allen (shoulder), DL Marcus Dixon (hamstring), CB Buddy Jackson (hamstring) and DB Sanders Commings (collarbone), fullback Braden Wilson (hamstring) were out. CB Dunta Robinson left the field midway through practice with a hamstring issue.
    Today’s schedule
    Practice starts at 8:15 a.m. and is free and open to the public. Parking is $5.
    The number
    1 Free-agent Vince Agnew showed some serious skills with his one-handed interception, but Agnew was hardly a ballhawk in college, where he tallied just one interception in four years at Central Michigan.
    | Randy Covitz, rcovitz@kcstar.com, and Terez Paylor, tpaylor@kcstar.com
    Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/28...#storylink=cpy

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    Eagle fans have been saying on other forums that J Charles touches were going to go down because Reid loves to throw the ball
    I read it in an article in the KC Star, so the Eagles fans are correct which is bothering me a little. However, they are complaining about a guy who made the play offs a bunch and failed to do so later on when he didn't really have a throwing QB so their hatred may be biased based on a standard set by Reid. I mean many Chiefs fans would take anything Pioli or Haley was doing for a a play off win. Just wait until the Eagles start losing and wishing to have Reid back just as many Chiefs fans felt after Marty left and we went in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    Eagle fans have been saying on other forums that J Charles touches were going to go down because Reid loves to throw the ball

If this does happen, Alex Smith throwing 35x a game will turn out to be a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    If this does happen, Alex Smith throwing 35x a game will turn out to be a disaster.
    Now now lets not start that crap again he'll be just fine....not extraordinary but fine enough to take us to the playoffs

I would think that not wanting to wear Charles down would also be a consideration in not having him run the ball as much. He's still gonna get plenty of touches whether he runs the ball or catches it out of the backfield. Our offense was ranked 5th in rushing last year, but dead last in the NFL in passing. Having a more balanced attack should make our offense less predictable and that can only help the team overall. I want to see longer sustained drives this year so our defense gets more rest and doesn't wear down at the end of games.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

For the first time in years we can be llegitimately excited for the season to start and actually expect to have a good season. Question is what is defined as a good season? Considering we were 2-14 last year. Anything better than 8-8 woukd be good but think we could push for a wildcard spot..

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post

Andy Reid is known to pass more than run

So I am at camp with my boys. Flowers made a great pick 6. On that play both tamba and houston rushed at the right side forcing alex to throw quick and flowrs just read it beautiful

Well I tried to post from Camp but my phone does not like the sun. One thing I noticed right off. While practicing in the morning is nice as far as weather goes, the grass still has dew on it. Lots of players were slipping or running scared of slipping.

I saw Baldwin once. Most of the passes went to the running backs. Bowe got a fair share as did many other receivers but Baldwin was crickets in a garage. You knew he was there but where...... I would not be shocked to see him cut.

Fisher did struggle. Brandon Albert is clearly a much better Tackle right now. Even though he got abused awefully against #62 Josh Martin. Maybe it was just the day but this kid looked impressive for a rookie.

While many want to bash Smith for dinking and dunking. He is very accurate with his throws and hits the runners in stride. Some times to Brandon Flowers but in stride none the less. While Daniels and Bray are accurate the offense didn't flow as much with them out there. Maybe that was the quality in the players they were throwing too. Stanzi looked just as lost as last year. I highly highly doubt he is still on this team after the first cuts.

My boys got lots of autographs. The first was from Austen Lane, who worked on the sideline all day with an injury of some sort. Man the guy will make you feel insecure. He is a very big guy. Andy Reid also signed for a couple of minutes but he picked my little 4 year old out of the group and went to him first. Gotta love it when they make an impression on the kids.

So was that pick by Flowers a bad throw/decision on Smith's part or a great play by Flowers?

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    So was that pick by Flowers a bad throw/decision on Smith's part or a great play by Flowers?
    It was a great break on the play by Flowers. The Chiefs had Tamba and Houston on the left side blitzing against Fisher. So Alex got rid of it quick and Flowers read it perfectly and jumped it half a second later and Flowers would have given up a huge play. It wasn't a great pass, but Flowers had to make a play on the ball and almost dropped it. He did return it for a TD.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast