Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: To the Smith doubters

Default To the Smith doubters

I just want to here from you what will qualify as a good year from Smith for you. This mainly goes out to my good buddy MY MAN HALI. Put out there on the table what you will say will be a good year form Smith before the season starts. Lay out what you want to see so we know and can come back at the end of the season and see how he did.

Do try to be fair. Keep in mind that this was a 2 win team a year ago so super bowl or bust might just be a tad unrealistic.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    I was talking about offense. Of course the coach gives the quarterback the freedom to make adjustments to pick up blitzes. He obviously wasn't making the right adjustments because everytime the niners blitzed he was under pressure and taking 10 yard sacks. Unfortunately for Alex Smith teams are not going to sit back in soft zones like the Saints did in week 1.
    I know you were talking about offense and like I said coaches limit EVERYTHING in the preseason. And in 99% of preseason games you wouldn't see the blitz in the amount the niners were doing in the preseason.

And tell me what besides you didn't see it do you know that he wasn't making adjustments. Lets face facts Smith got drilled on pressure right up the middle on a play designed for a screen pass as soon as he got the ball. What play in the history of the NFL is designed for the Center to let that happen IT HAPPENED. The O line play was bad face it. That's not on Alex Smith no matter how much you want to pretend it is just because you can't get over the fact the Chiefs did not get the QB you wanted.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    That was a well timed blitz by the CB (I played and coach DBs, if my player timed it like that, I would be very happy). If you watch Smith's head he hikes the ball while he is looking to the right, which all QBs do from time to time to look for Pre-snap movement. Sometimes you miss the well timed blitz from the other side. So by the time he saw the blitzer, he needed to move. Yes, Baldwin was open but Smith was moving to his right and would have had to throw ACROSS his body to the other side of the field, exactly what we would criticize crappy QBs for doing.

Even if he saw the CB blitz coming, and saw that Baldwin was going to be wide open, look where Baldwin was and what route he ran. It was 3rd and 7. Baldwin ran a 3 yard slant/drag. Would be have been able to get the 1st? Maybe. Maybe Smith knew that wouldn't be enough for the first down so tried to hit the TE but threw a bad ball. At least his bad ball was where the D couldn't get to it.

In the first GIF, the defender is directly between him and the WR, any decent defender would easily knock that away. That having been said, he should have pump faked to see how the defender responded, then made a decision.

I'm not saying it was a great game. Smith's perfromance was average at best. But those examples are not ones I would use to crucify Smith.

if you watch carefully in the upper right corner their is another defender 5 yds beyond baldwin, when alex is past his defender to make a throw, the deep defender would have easily closed on the ball/baldwin to make a play. it probably was a good decision to throw it away.
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    if you watch carefully in the upper right corner their is another defender 5 yds beyond baldwin, when alex is past his defender to make a throw, the deep defender would have easily closed on the ball/baldwin to make a play. it probably was a good decision to throw it away.
    What it comes down to is he is getting mad at Alex Smith for DOING THE RIGHT THING!!! Crazy. But, that is why Alex Smith is a starting qb in the nfl and this guy is....just your average know-it-all on the internet.

If I may, I think I should introduce a little reality here.

1) Smith led a very nice drive against New Orleans.

2) Smith looked considerably less than stellar against the 9ers.

3) Nothing shown so far to anoint him the second coming of Christ or to call out the lynching party.

4) He is our quarterback for better or worse for this season.

5) Some people hate him. Some love him. Smart people have a wait and see attitude. We'll find out over the course of a season. Not from 2 preseason games.

6) Since he is what we have for this season, I would hope that Chiefs fans will treat him fairly rather than desperately trying to drive home their opinions. If he shows he stinks, we'll all call for his head on a platter.

7) Hopefully the haters will admit if he turns out to do a good job. Got my doubts though.

My prediction for Alex Smith:

3,300 yards 22 TD's 7 INT's

Dwayne Bowe 850 yards 4 TD's

Smith I think will do good his first year in a new offense managing games. He may not be the super star most had hoped, but he'll make others around him look much better, like he did with Gore and Vernon Davis. I'm willing to bet Anthony Fasano has more yards and catches than any receiver on your roster.

Lol I was yelling at the tv on that wide open play ...

Hopefully Smith will get the respect he deserves in KC that was denied him in SF!
    ​Happy Halloween 2021

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789