Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: To the Smith doubters

Default To the Smith doubters

I just want to here from you what will qualify as a good year from Smith for you. This mainly goes out to my good buddy MY MAN HALI. Put out there on the table what you will say will be a good year form Smith before the season starts. Lay out what you want to see so we know and can come back at the end of the season and see how he did.

Do try to be fair. Keep in mind that this was a 2 win team a year ago so super bowl or bust might just be a tad unrealistic.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

That was a well timed blitz by the CB (I played and coach DBs, if my player timed it like that, I would be very happy). If you watch Smith's head he hikes the ball while he is looking to the right, which all QBs do from time to time to look for Pre-snap movement. Sometimes you miss the well timed blitz from the other side. So by the time he saw the blitzer, he needed to move. Yes, Baldwin was open but Smith was moving to his right and would have had to throw ACROSS his body to the other side of the field, exactly what we would criticize crappy QBs for doing.

Even if he saw the CB blitz coming, and saw that Baldwin was going to be wide open, look where Baldwin was and what route he ran. It was 3rd and 7. Baldwin ran a 3 yard slant/drag. Would be have been able to get the 1st? Maybe. Maybe Smith knew that wouldn't be enough for the first down so tried to hit the TE but threw a bad ball. At least his bad ball was where the D couldn't get to it.

In the first GIF, the defender is directly between him and the WR, any decent defender would easily knock that away. That having been said, he should have pump faked to see how the defender responded, then made a decision.

I'm not saying it was a great game. Smith's perfromance was average at best. But those examples are not ones I would use to crucify Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    I know right! Two guys that have been here a few months under a new coach and played two preseason games are struggling a bit. Good thing you decided its playoffs or bust so you can gloat at the end of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    There is no excuse for the offense to struggle as much as it did last night.

It's true that Alex is playing on a new ream with a new head coach, a new offensive coordinator and a new-to-him offense, but they had already played a whole 14 play drive against an awesome Saints defense. It's not like they were playing the defending Super Bowl champs. The 49ers only won the NFC last year. There is no reason that starting superstar running back Knile Davis in place of pedestrian Jamaal Charles would be a setback for the offense. It is all Smith's fault that wide open receivers were dropping some of his perfectly thrown passes. I know opening day is still 3 weeks away, but the Chiefs might as well just cancel all of their practices between now and opening day. Why bother? If they aren't clicking on all cylinders yet, they never will. The Chiefs won two whole games last year with one of the worst offenses in the NFL. They should look like Super Bowl contenders by now.

/sarcastic rant

MMA/O, your expectations are completely unrealistic at this point. I expect the Chiefs to struggle even into the first couple of games of the regular season. By the 2nd quarter of the season, they should start to look pretty good, but not yet.

The good news is that their defense and special teams should keep games close even if the offense does not play at a very high level early on.
    Well said by both
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    It's called pre snap adjustments. Hot routes etc.. I am watching the game replay and I just saw Alex Smith take a 10 yard sack with the same exact blitz. He looks like a robot out there.
    Some teams limit the QB from making those adjustments. I'm not saying that is what Andy Reid does, but the lack of adjustments was concerning. Both from the OL and from Smith. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they didn't allow them to do that this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Some teams limit the QB from making those adjustments. I'm not saying that is what Andy Reid does, but the lack of adjustments was concerning. Both from the OL and from Smith. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they didn't allow them to do that this year.
    Even more so in the preseason NFL head coaches can be really paranoid about letting to much of there gameplan out before the season starts. That may be the case with Smith and Reid we just don't have that info
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Even more so in the preseason NFL head coaches can be really paranoid about letting to much of there gameplan out before the season starts. That may be the case with Smith and Reid we just don't have that info
    Thanks, I meant to say limit the QB from making those adjustments IN PRESEASON. Thanks for bringing it to my attention that I left that out.

So the head coach is going to limit the quarterback to not making the correct pre snap adjustments and pick up simple blitz packages? A recipe for injury.

That makes no sense at all.

So the head coach is going to limit the quarterback to not making the correct pre snap adjustments and pick up simple blitz packages? A recipe for injury.

Head coaches limit pretty much everything in the preseason. They would even tell you that. And most teams don't run the Blitz packages much in the preseason or not nearly as much as what the niners did. And some of it was just the oline not doing there job or getting beat. Like the attempted screen pass where Smith threw it at the snap and was still drilled while throwing the pass when he had the ball less the 3 seconds. No adjustment would have stopped that. That was just piss poor O line play why is it so hard for you to talk about the failings of others besides Smith and Fisher?

and also tell me how you no for sure he wasn't making adjustments just because you didn't see any doesn't mean he wasn't some teams us verbal adjustments more then the physical ones. You go into these games looking for him to fail it's pretty clear. Your biased outlook may not be the fairest to judge if he was making adjustments or not. Maybe you just don't know the signals Maybe you just don't no the system. Unless you have a playbook. You're just assumeing this is the case you have no real proof of this. You are looking to nit pick everything you can because you don't like him. You're just proving that I was right when I said you won't give Smith a fair chance
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Some teams do, yes. I am not saying Reid limited Smith, just that it is a possibility. Some teams say no audibles. Some say only blitz pickups. Some say everything is available. I don't know Reid's style, and I did not watch closely enough to notice whether Smith and/or Hudson seemed to be calling out adjustments.

There are many reasons for this. First, they don't want to give other teams extra film to see how we adjust to certain defensive packages. Also, they want to limit the number of times certain audibles are called so that other teams cannot pick up on "black" means play X. This is a big deal to coaches. That was the whole reason behind the Patriot's spygate drama. They would have been able to pick-up on what their audibles meant, which means they would know exactly where a play is going. Some teams (maybe most?) hire lip readers to watch the other coaches mouths and the QBs mouths to try and decipher the codes. Additionally, a lot of the play calling is scripted in the preseason. They want to run certain plays in certain situations to evaluate specific players. The preseason is about evaluation, not winning. If you were a coach and in the preseason and running play XYZ netted an easy 10 yards, would you keep running it until they are able to stop it? No, you want to see what your other guys can do so you run all of your other plays.
    Last edited by jap1; 08-18-2013 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    That was a well timed blitz by the CB (I played and coach DBs, if my player timed it like that, I would be very happy). If you watch Smith's head he hikes the ball while he is looking to the right, which all QBs do from time to time to look for Pre-snap movement. Sometimes you miss the well timed blitz from the other side. So by the time he saw the blitzer, he needed to move. Yes, Baldwin was open but Smith was moving to his right and would have had to throw ACROSS his body to the other side of the field, exactly what we would criticize crappy QBs for doing.

I'm not saying it was a great game. Smith's perfromance was average at best. But those examples are not ones I would use to crucify Smith.
    THIS. Agreed on all points. Smith wasn't great by any means, but if he'd chucked an INT it could've been a whole lot worse.

It's preseason. If anything I'd be more after the recievers/tight ends than the QB, there were way too many dropped passes. I'm amazed Baldwin still has a roster spot, but Reid seems pretty committed to giving him a chance.

Head coaches limit pretty much everything in the preseason. They would even tell you that. And most teams don't run the Blitz packages much in the preseason or not nearly as much as what the niners did. And some of it was just the oline not doing there job or getting beat. Like the attempted screen pass where Smith threw it at the snap and was still drilled while throwing the pass when he had the ball less the 3 seconds. No adjustment would have stopped that. That was just piss poor O line play why is it so hard for you to talk about the failings of others besides Smith and Fisher?

and also tell me how you no for sure he wasn't making adjustments just because you didn't see any doesn't mean he wasn't some teams us verbal adjustments more then the physical ones. You go into these games looking for him to fail it's pretty clear. Your biased outlook may not be the fairest to judge if he was making adjustments or not. Maybe you just don't know the signals Maybe you just don't no the system. Unless you have a playbook. You're just assumeing this is the case you have no real proof of this. You are looking to nit pick everything you can because you don't like him. You're just proving that I was right when I said you won't give Smith a fair chance

I was talking about offense. Of course the coach gives the quarterback the freedom to make adjustments to pick up blitzes. He obviously wasn't making the right adjustments because everytime the niners blitzed he was under pressure and taking 10 yard sacks. Unfortunately for Alex Smith teams are not going to sit back in soft zones like the Saints did in week 1.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast