at
    Arrowhead Stadium

Television coverage:

Kansas City area---Fox 4 WDAF
    Topeka, Ks---Fox 43 KTMJ

Watch online:
    Kansas City Chiefs vs. San Francisco 49ers @ FirstRowSports.com
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Chiefs Team Report from Yahoo Sports:
    No team among the 32 in the NFL has waited longer to see a punt or kickoff return end up in the end zone than the Kansas City Chiefs.

The last time it happened was 48 regular and post-season games ago, in the season opener of the 2010 season against San Diego in a Monday night game at Arrowhead Stadium. On September 13, 2010, rookie returner Dexter McCluster made a rookie mistake and caught a Chargers punt at his six-yard line, and 94 yards later nobody was talking about anything but his touchdown return.

The drought is the longest in the league, as every NFL team has had a punt or kickoff return for a score since that opening weekend.

In their preseason opener against the Saints in New Orleans the Chiefs did not score on a return. But under new special teams coach Dave Toub, they had the longest returns the Chiefs have seen in some time, including pre-season games:

• McCluster had a 55-yard punt return in the first quarter that helped set up an early field goal for the Chiefs. It as the team's longest punt return since his 94-yarder.
    • Rookie running back Knile Davis returned a kickoff 79 yards late in the third quarter. It's the longest kick return in any game—pre, regular and post-season—since running back Jamaal Charles returned a kickoff 97 yards for a touchdown on November 22, 2009 against Pittsburgh.

There is now hope with the Chiefs that they can get some help from the return game.

"I was really happy with the way the guys responded," said Toub, who joined Andy Reid's staff after spending seasons handling the special teams with the Bears. "We have high expectations for this group and they work their butts off. It's good to see guys work so hard and reap rewards like they did in the game."

In the 2010 NFL Draft, then GM Scott Pioli used a pair of second-round draft choices to draft McCluster and cornerback Javier Arenas. Both were on the small side, but they were known for their quickness and their ability on returns; Arenas had set several NCAA records while at Alabama.

Toub feels McCluster is a natural punt returner because of his quickness in a compact area.
      "He can make the first man miss," said Toub, who had record setting punt returner Devin Hester with the Bears. "As a punt returner in the NFL you're going to have to make someone miss and he's good at that."

In his three-year NFL career, McCluster has had three different special teams coaches, and he has become a big fan of Toub and the way he handles the kicking game.

"He knows that we can be game changers; special teams can win games," said McCluster. "I think that his focus and determination to get us better and bring the best out of us is going to be key to our success. He's a guy that really, really, really loves special teams."

Davis did not return kickoffs during his college career at the University of Arkansas, but Reid and Toub see him in that role for the Chiefs. He's not quite there yet.

"You have to be able to catch all the balls clean," said Toub. "He has to be clean there. He's catching a lot of balls of the jugs machine and before practice. He has to get some confidence, and we have to have confidence in him. He's still a work in progress."

That brings free safety Quintin Demps and wide receiver Devon Wylie into the picture as kick returners. McCluster will not be a candidate.

"Punt returner, that's a full-time job," Toub said. "We want him focused on that."

The Chiefs are focused on breaking their return drought.
      "We sit back and watch the film and see the spark that we can be for this team, I think everyone is going to want to go out there and do it week in and week out."

Notable Quotable: "I try to do what the coaches tell me to do. If they tell me to practice more, I'll practice more and if they tell me to play more, I'll play more. I'm just out here competing every day and trying to make the most of it."
      —No. 1 draft choice right tackle Eric Fisher who has struggled at times in the start to his NFL career.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 08-16-2013 at 01:45 AM.

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

49ers Game Report:
    The curious tale of wide receiver A.J. Jenkins, the San Francisco 49ers' surprise first round pick in 2012, added another less than memorable chapter to his biography in the team's preseason opener, a 10-6 loss to the Denver Broncos.Jenkins may be in better contention for the biggest first-round bust of the 2012 draft than he is for a spot on the 49ers roster.

He had no catches during his rookie season and after finally hauling in a pass at Candlestick Park Thursday, he fumbled it away in one of the team's four turnovers of the game.

Jenkins was on the field for most of the first half, but targeted only three times, two of which ended in turnovers. The other turnover wasn't Jenkins' fault. It was a badly overthrown by quarterback Scott Tolzien and intercepted. The third throw his way was an underthrown ball that Jenkins had no chance to get.

"Could have been better," coach Jim Harbaugh said of Jenkins. "We got work to do in areas."

The poor play from Jenkins wasn't the first bad sign about his chances at having a role with the 49ers. That came before the game started when Marlon Moore was named the starting wide receiver opposite veteran Anquan Boldin. The same Marlon Moore who had 12 career catches in parts of two seasons with the Miami Dolphins.

At the time of wide receiver Michael Crabtree's offseason torn Achilles, it was assumed Jenkins would be the next guy up. At some point, a first-round pick would see the field, right?

That's no longer a foregone conclusion.

Chad Hall, Ricardo Lockette, Kyle Williams and Moore have consistently outplayed Jenkins in camp and veteran Austin Collie caught two passes for 20 yards against Denver after only a week with the team. Eventually the 49ers will welcome back Mario Manningham and Crabtree to play alongside Boldin, which means Jenkins, a year after being the 30th overall pick, he might be looking for a new team.

Quarterback Colin Kaepernick offered words of encouragement for Jenkins after he coughed up the fumble.
    "He is someone that we need to be able to rely on," Kaepernick said, which is about as encouraging as it gets based on what little Jenkins has done.

Notable Quotable: "I love the atmosphere at Candlestick. It's always crazy, it's historic and it was good to be out there."

—Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha on his first game in a 49ers uniform at Candlestick Park:
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 08-16-2013 at 01:46 AM.

Sorry I messed up the date. That should have been "- 8/16"

I'm still in preseason form, working out some bugs!

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Sorry I messed up the date. That should have been "- 8/16"

I'm still in preseason form, working out some bugs!
    My game thread was WAY better LOL
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Looking forward to seeing what Tyler Bray can do. Also, I hope the first team has the success they had last week. Last week seemed really promising and it'd be great if it can carry over to this week vs the Super bowl runner-ups.

This is infuriating! I live in SE Kansas and our Fox affiliate is showing Tampa Bay @ New England!

where are you at? McPherson?

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    This is infuriating! I live in SE Kansas and our Fox affiliate is showing Tampa Bay @ New England!
    Hahahaha, need a sell out crowd at a preseason game.... i guess

Also, does the Ticket (directTV) show preseason games, because if not, i think they should.

I hope I can get this game. Nine times out of ten when Fox covers it the affiliate in my area doesn't show it.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast