Thread: Observations from a 49ers fan

Default Observations from a 49ers fan

Hey guys. I read you forum just because I was curious about how you guys were fairing with Alex Smith. I had a few thoughts that I think can shore up any doubts, misconceptions, or confusion.

1) The 49ers blitzed a ton last night. This shocked me. It's preseason, and teams like to keep those things under radar. I remember in Harbaugh's 1st year the Saints blitzed AS a lot in the 1st preseason game and it was similar results. Your OLine didn't study game film to prepare so I am not surprised they struggled against blitzes up the A-gap.

2) It was our 2nd and 3rd string defense after the 1st series. There was a poster on here who kept point out that Asomugha was playing. Sorry dude, Nnamdi was on the verge of getting cut before Culliver (our 3rd corner) went down with an ACL injury

3) Our starting OLine outside of Staley played 3 or 4 series. So, even though we had our 2nd and 3rd string QB in, it wasn't like they were all complete backups. Your DLine got some push against our starters. I was impressed.

Nice first post, rep! Welcome to the Crowd!

Quote Originally Posted by ASfan View Post
    Hey guys. I read you forum just because I was curious about how you guys were fairing with Alex Smith. I had a few thoughts that I think can shore up any doubts, misconceptions, or confusion.

1) The 49ers blitzed a ton last night. This shocked me. It's preseason, and teams like to keep those things under radar. I remember in Harbaugh's 1st year the Saints blitzed AS a lot in the 1st preseason game and it was similar results. Your OLine didn't study game film to prepare so I am not surprised they struggled against blitzes up the A-gap.

2) It was our 2nd and 3rd string defense after the 1st series. There was a poster on here who kept point out that Asomugha was playing. Sorry dude, Nnamdi was on the verge of getting cut before Culliver (our 3rd corner) went down with an ACL injury

3) Our starting OLine outside of Staley played 3 or 4 series. So, even though we had our 2nd and 3rd string QB in, it wasn't like they were all complete backups. Your DLine got some push against our starters. I was impressed.
    Welcome to the forum, ASfan.

Yeah they did blitz a lot for a preseason game, but it'll give the coaches and players an opportunity to evaluate things and get better before the regular season starts. Dontari Poe is going to be a force. He did pretty well in his rookie season, but this training camp he showed up in even better shape (lost 15 pounds) and now has a year's experience under his belt.