Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Lets talk about the preseason shall we

Default Lets talk about the preseason shall we

Preseason football is exactly for games like the Chiefs played last night. There's a reason no one wins preseason awards.

The preseason is for teams to get back in the flow of playing in games. It is also for teams to get the kinks out they are used for teams to get film on all there players so the coaches can go to work on what a given player needs to work on before the games start to count. It is for teams to get there rookies/new players use to playing with there new teams/teammates. It is for spots on the team to be won and lost and that's what the coaches work on most. They don't sit and watch hours of film of the upcoming team they're going to face. They are to busy watching film of there own guys so they can begin to figure out who they want on the final spots of there roster. They watch limited film of there next opponent and put together a very basic gameplan for that team. But nothing like they do in the real season.

A bad presesaon can't be completly ignored you have to work on the things you struggled on but it's results should be taken with a grain of salt. While there are some things that are of concern on this team right now they still have almost a month to work on those. The sky is not Falling just yet. RELAX
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I Just thought I would give everyone a reminder that this took looked pretty damn bad in the preseason a year ago.

While I do still fully expect this team to be on the outside looking in playoff time lets not declare the season over just yet. They still have 2 weeks to get things worked out. As bad as it looked tonight they can still fix things. They did a year ago much to all of our surprises. We are not dead yet. Though I do think we are in serious need of medical attention we are not dead. GO CHIEFS
    Thanks for reviving this thread! A very timely reminder that some of us were in panic mode right about this time last year. And last year turned out to be not too bad. Lots of things have me worried this year. But we have a real coach, a real GM, the best special teams coach in the NFL and a pretty decent defense coach. I expect this year to not be as good as last year. We're rebuilding. But my hand is nowhere near the panic button.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Pretty sure that Bowe and Charles haven't been on the field all the time while the #1 Offense was on the field.
    THIS

While the offense is a concern and can't just be ignored it also has to be kept in perspective. They have had there full offense very little so far. Charles hasn't played much at all which will change when the games start counting. His injury in the real season wouldn't be keeping him out of games.

It's still to early to push that panic button but you may want to make sure you know where that panic button is.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

THIS

While the offense is a concern and can't just be ignored it also has to be kept in perspective. They have had there full offense very little so far. Charles hasn't played much at all which will change when the games start counting. His injury in the real season wouldn't be keeping him out of games.

It's still to early to push that panic button but you may want to make sure you know where that panic button is.
    The Chief problem ( pun intended ) with the 1st team Offense, is that they can't put the ball into the end zone once they get close, but Charles has only been on field for one of those instances. Therefore, it is apparent that the Chiefs need other guys to step up as playmakers in the red zone.

The Chief problem ( pun intended ) with the 1st team Offense, is that they can't put the ball into the end zone once they get close, but Charles has only been on field for one of those instances. Therefore, it is apparent that the Chiefs need other guys to step up as playmakers in the red zone.
    Yep
    But just having Charles on the field alone will be a huge help. The defense has to respect him and that will help open things up for one of the other guys. Again Perspective Charles is a game changer they haven't had him much in the preseason with a foot bruise that will change when the games start counting. Charles is a difference maker having him on the field will be a huge help by itself.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Red zone punch has been a problem for almost as many years as I can count. (There have been some notable exceptions). But if JC and Bowe stay healthy and and one of our tight ends truly steps up I think we'll do very well in the red zone.

Something worth remembering is that Reid likes to play his cards very close to his chest. We are not currently seeing even 30% of the crazy offensive schemes he has planned.

Now, as for the 1st team Defense last night, I couldn't help but cringe when Cassel connected on that long TD pass, plus Adrian Peterson wasn't on the field. So, it hard to say what they have Defensively. And Berry's injury may be worse than what was initially thought, which could be a problem, if someone doesn't step up to take his place.

Now, as for the 1st team Defense last night, I couldn't help but cringe when Cassel connected on that long TD pass, plus Adrian Peterson wasn't on the field. So, it hard to say what they have Defensively. And Berry's injury may be worse than what was initially thought, which could be a problem, if someone doesn't step up to take his place.
    I'm very worried about the Berry thing It just doesn't look good right now. As for the defense I have yet to see anything change my mind about them. I think they are going to struggle greatly at times
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I'm very worried about the Berry thing It just doesn't look good right now. As for the defense I have yet to see anything change my mind about them. I think they are going to struggle greatly at times
    I believe so, as well. Precisely why the Chiefs need to find a way to get their Offense untracked because the Defense most likely isn't going to be able carry the team through the 1st half of the schedule in 2014, like they did in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Red zone punch has been a problem for almost as many years as I can count. (There have been some notable exceptions). But if JC and Bowe stay healthy and and one of our tight ends truly steps up I think we'll do very well in the red zone.

Something worth remembering is that Reid likes to play his cards very close to his chest. We are not currently seeing even 30% of the crazy offensive schemes he has planned.
    THIS. Last preseason, they were not playing very many formations at all on offense, then when regular season hit we'd see four or five different "looks" in one possession alone? He's going to do what he can to keep everyone guessing.

Y'know.....there is no doubt that our defense is going to struggle this year. In a way they did last year. Last year they got TORCHED on a regular basis....and they also had a lot of picks.

Sutton's defensive scheme is HUGELY aggressive. He wants somebody in the enemy QB's face in less than 2 seconds. And that's great when it works. But if you are going to run that kind of defense (and I think it's a good defense) you still need some kind of decent secondary. And I am not sure we have one.

I suspect we will need to score a LOT of points to win games this year. And that means that with Alex at QB and Reid as coach we need an ash-kicking tight end. We could REALLY use a 25 year old TG right now. And we will need JC to stay healthy and Bowe to start earning his money.

There is a lot of hope left in this season......but if we are to have any hope of making a run for the playoffs we will need a lot of things to line up "just right".

Like last year this is a rebuilding season. But I'm not sure it will turn out as well as last year.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456