Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Webnews: Chiefs, 49ers swap disappointing draft picks

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 27

Post Webnews: Chiefs, 49ers swap disappointing draft picks

0 Not allowed!
    By Darin Gantt
    The Chiefs were tired of waiting on Jon Baldwin, and the 49ers were tired of waiting on A.J. Jenkins. So naturally, they traded their problems for one another. The Chiefs announced the deal of former first-round wide receivers, with the 49ers getting the 26th overall pick in the 2011 Draft for the 30th overall pick… Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 129

0 Not allowed!
    Upsides:
    It will give Avery a chance to show what he can do.
    Jenkins may have needed a change of scenery/coaching.
    We save ~half a mil in cap space.

Downsides:
    Jenkins has a huge cap hit (4 mil this year, 2mil next year) if we need to cut him.
    His contract has 2 more years left on it.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 129

0 Not allowed!
    As of right now, Avery is on the depth chart as starting and Jenkins is the 3rd string behind him.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Aside from saving on cap space there really is nothing to see here...yet.
    Actually Jenkins is coming over with $750k bigger salary then Baldwin according to LaCanfora.

Btw everyone I'm a 9ers fan, just checking out what's going on with the trade on both sides.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 226
    Given: 664

0 Not allowed!
    Baldwin just didn't pan out. Good luck in SF. Seriously doubt that Harbaugh is going to be any more forgiving than Reid is.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 2

1 Not allowed!
    I'm sure smith had some input on this.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 69

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Chiefy View Post
    Sure hope so but there's no way he's ready for week 1 as a starter it's going to take time to learn our playbook. Funny thing is I'm no longer listening to the mask of "he works his tail off" cause that's all Andy Reid said of Baldwin so unless he says something like "he's going to do just fine" I won't have high hopes

Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolohe View Post
    Actually Jenkins is coming over with $750k bigger salary then Baldwin according to LaCanfora.

Btw everyone I'm a 9ers fan, just checking out what's going on with the trade on both sides.
    Baldwins Guaranteed contract this year is bigger than Jenkins Guranteed contract this year. Jenkins Contract is only bigger because he has one less year already realized. Based on Baldwins play this off season he has quit caring and has had a horrible attitued sinde day one which is why he and Thomas Jones got into it his rookie year. He was a huge dissapointment last year and a bigger one so far this year in camp. Many believe he was going to be cut this year specially after dropping a pass that hit him square in the hands which has been the norm during camp.

He very well could become something for the 9ers but everyone here has moved on with another Pioli busted pick and got something for nothing. Even though Jenkins maybe nothing for nothing but it is worth the shot.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 42

0 Not allowed!
    i remember i wanted gabe carimi or derek sherod both OT's not baldwin
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Thumbs Up
    Received: 42

0 Not allowed!
    here is a little interesting tidbit i found from prdraft 2012 about jenkins, apparently the CHIEFS were interested in him then

Wide receivers Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd and Kendall Wright stole the headlines at the NFL combine two months ago, but Illinois receiver A.J. Jenkins has seen his draft rise in recent weeks, to the point where ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper believes Jenkins will be an early second-round pick.

Kiper has Jenkins going to Jacksonville at No. 38 in his latest mock draft.

"I've been on a world tour, man," Jenkins said in a phone interview with ESPNChicago.com. "I traveled to Baltimore, Jacksonville, Kansas City and San Francisco all in the span of a week, and I've got future visits coming up with the Titans, Panthers and Rams."

When he hasn't been on the road, Jenkins can be found training in Champaign where he continues to work toward his degree. A native of Jacksonville, Fla., Jenkins led the Illini with 90 catches for 1,276 yards and eight touchdowns, including a monster performance versus Northwestern when he hauled in 12 passes for 228 yards and three scores.

Jenkins had five games with 100 yards or more during his final season with Illinois. As a junior, Jenkins had 56 receptions for 746 yards and seven touchdowns. After the Illini finished the season with a bowl victory over UCLA, Jenkins participated in the Senior Bowl and East-West Shrine Game.

He also posted the third fastest 40-yard dash time at the combine with a 4.39.

So why no love for Jenkins early in the pre-draft process?

"I really don't know. I just feel like I did my part," Jenkins said. "You can't control what people say or how they think. It's just up to the teams to decide. I feel like I've done really well in the workouts and going through the interview process, so we'll see what happens."

Jenkins takes pride in his versatility. During his four-year career in Champaign, the 6-foot-1 receiver lined up in a variety of spots on the field, and even handled kickoff return duties his first two years in college.
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Thumbs Up
    Received: 211
    Given: 58

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Chiefy View Post
    I'm willing to bet Toub did, too. As a Bears fan I have followed Toub's coaching career closely. Believe me, special teams are going to take on a much more prominent role on for the Chiefs this year. Because Jenkins is a good kick returner and can play multiple positions, I'm sure Toub convinced Reid that he would be more of an asset to the team than Baldwin. Baldwin is a one trick pony and he doesn't do that​ trick well at all.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

Originally Posted by Name Withheld
    I don't think anything that's what wrong is nearly Smiths Falls we have no offense of line I think the coaches are free to call certain place I think he would absolutely do better with a different office of coordinator

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast