Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Game Analysis

Default Pittsburgh Game Analysis

So I was finally able to watch and critique the game against Pittsburgh. Here is my analysis. Feel free to provide your two cents.

Offense:
    Pros:
    - Pass blocking was improved by the starters. There was one sack, and a couple times Smith had to scramble, but overall I was pleased. It can still stand to improve, but I am sure with more games under their belt we will see better play.
    - Alex Smith looked good to me. He was accurate and mobile. He made plays with his legs to either keep the play alive or get yardage. He hit receivers in stride or had the ball right there when the receivers came out of their breaks. He spread the ball around, and was able to move the chains.
    - Avery is a big upgrade over Baldwin. Very crisp route running, better hands, and was able to get separation. All things Baldwin lacked.
    - Bowe looked crisp and he and Smith seemed to be on the same page with route running.
    - We had a pretty good 2-minute drill
    - Chase Daniel did a good job with the OT drive and keeping the drive alive.

Cons:
    - I would like to see better 3rd down play and more conversions by the first team O
    - Run blocking is still less than desirable. There was too much penetration on the interior. The holes (if there were any) were too small and fleeting.
    - Short yardage run game is non-existent. I dont understand why you have JC trying to run off the guard on 3rd and 1 and 4th and inches. If you are going to give it to JC, give it to him on the outside where he can make a play. I really wish we had a bigger back to utilize in those scenarios.
    - Our running game is going to be non-existent if JC gets hurt or has to sit out a couple games.
    - I didnt see McCluster or any of the TEs other than Fasano do anything.
    - Our 2nd string OL got beat-up by the Steelers D in pass blitzing. Luckily most of these guys wont be on the team after the last roster cut.
    - Either our 2nd half WRs could not get open, or Chase Daniel was holding the ball too long and could not find the open man. He held the ball too long and is partly to blame for all the sacks.
    - I was surprised to see Daniels play the whole 2nd half/OT. I am assuming the next game is going to be primarily Bray and Stanzi (unless they have already made the decision and Stanzi is getting cut this week).

Interesting Notes: Asamoah started at RG, but Geoff Schwartz went in after the first series and I think played the rest of the game. Im not sure why or what that means.

Defense:
    Pros:
    - I saw better interior pass pressure. TJ was able to push his blocker back into the QB a couple times.
    - Better interior run pressure. I saw Poe, TJ, DeVito, and Bailey pushing their blockers back on runs regularly.
    - Good run D. The only big play that the Steelers broke should have been a hold on J. Houston who without the hold would have been able to catch Dwyer or at least pin him on the sidelines.
    - Effective blitzing. Roethlisberger is a slippery guy and we still got a couple sacks on him.
    - Backup LBs seem to have a good motor and kept pressure on the Steelers.

Cons:
    - Our secondary looked weak. Im not sure if S. Smith just got purely burnt deep, or if he was supposed to have safety help, but that play made him look very slow. Our secondary has been hot and cold this preseason, so I dont know what to think about them.
    - Too many 3rd down conversions. We need to get the opposing O off of the field.
    - Im not impressed with the 2nd string secondary.

Interesting note: Allen Bailey started the first series over DeVito. Devito was in on future drives a lot.

Special Teams:
    Pros:
    - Kick return was awesome. Other teams are going to have to game plan for this.
    - Kick block team. When was the last time we saw 2 kicks blocked in a season, let alone preseason!
    - Punt team is great. Almost pinned them inside the 5 twice!
    - Punt return. There is definitely potential for a big return at any moment.

Cons:
    - I cannot think of any.

Other notes:
    - Too many penalties. Granted many were in the 2nd half, but still disappointing. I hope they tighten it up.

Overall, I think they looked a lot better than against San Fran. I have doubts about our Run game, and secondary, but I want to see what we do with a full game plan starters playing the whole game. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post

Interesting Notes: Asamoah started at RG, but Geoff Schwartz went in after the first series and I think played the rest of the game. Im not sure why or what that means.
    I can help you with that one. Asamoah was reported to have strained a calf muscle.

jap1- Agree with you on all points except for the part about the secondary. They need some work, but I'd give credit where credit is due; Pittsburg's QB's were throwing into tight boxes and their recievers were getting them, consistently. There were some plays where yeah, it'd been nice to have some more pressure from the safeties, and hopefully Sutton is pointing that out next practice, but there were a lot of balls thrown in tight spots where only Pittsburg's wr's had a chance. And if it hit their fingers it got hauled in.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    jap1- Agree with you on all points except for the part about the secondary. They need some work, but I'd give credit where credit is due; Pittsburg's QB's were throwing into tight boxes and their recievers were getting them, consistently. There were some plays where yeah, it'd been nice to have some more pressure from the safeties, and hopefully Sutton is pointing that out next practice, but there were a lot of balls thrown in tight spots where only Pittsburg's wr's had a chance. And if it hit their fingers it got hauled in.
    Very true, and I am likely being a little too harsh. Not to mention Roethlisberger is squirrelly and extends plays, resulting in someone being open.

However, there were a couple of plays where the WR had a couple steps on his defender deep and it was either a bad throw, the WR dropped it, or there was a penalty that negated the catch.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Cons:

- I didnt see McCluster or any of the TEs other than Fasano do anything.about our Run game, and secondary, but I want to see what we do with a full game plan starters playing the whole game. Enjoy!
    McCluster didn't play.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    McCluster didn't play.
    Do you know why? Injury, game plan, or something else?

Flu, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    Flu, I believe.
    Correct. In the post game press conference Andy Reid said McLuster told him before the game that he didn't feel well, so Reid sat him out.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Correct. In the post game press conference Andy Reid said McLuster told him before the game that he didn't feel well, so Reid sat him out.
    McCluster has been our for a while now. He was sick during practice last week before the game which gave Jr. Hemingway some practice time with the starters. McCluster was still out yesterday.

I also think the Chiefs are working on specific things during the game and not a total game plan. It has been in their game plan. I think week one they were working on throwing to the tight ends and running backs. I think in game two they worked more on running the ball with Davis and run blocking. Last week they worked on throwing the ball to the Receivers and pass blocking.

Trent Green said Bowe had a huge smile on his face before the game last week knowing that they had a game plan for the recievers this week.

I really think Andy Reid is game planning around evaluating his talent and not so much on his opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    McCluster has been our for a while now. He was sick during practice last week before the game which gave Jr. Hemingway some practice time with the starters. McCluster was still out yesterday.

I also think the Chiefs are working on specific things during the game and not a total game plan. It has been in their game plan. I think week one they were working on throwing to the tight ends and running backs. I think in game two they worked more on running the ball with Davis and run blocking. Last week they worked on throwing the ball to the Receivers and pass blocking.

Trent Green said Bowe had a huge smile on his face before the game last week knowing that they had a game plan for the recievers this week.

I really think Andy Reid is game planning around evaluating his talent and not so much on his opponent.

THIS!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast