Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Webnews: Ricky Stanzi among 14 cut by Chiefs

Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 27

Post Webnews: Ricky Stanzi among 14 cut by Chiefs

0 Not allowed!
    By Darin Gantt
    The Chiefs made 14 of the 15 moves they need to make by Tuesday’s deadline to get to 75, and they got rid of a quarterback in the process. Among the cuts was Ricky Stanzi, a project of the previous administration. He was made expendable when the Chiefs traded for Alex Smith and signed free… Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 607
    Given: 788

0 Not allowed!
    I do not think that Fisher will become another Jason Smith ( OT taken at #2 overall in 2009 ) as he has already made more good blocks than Smith has in a 4-yr period. Fisher did pretty good against a couple of respectable vets in Lamar Woodley and Ziggy Hood last Saturday. I know about his struggles in camp, but it is his FIRST NFL training. Now if he struggles at training camp in years 2 and 3, then there's cause for major concern. As far as I know, Justin Houston wasn't any ball of fire in his first training in 2011 & we know Baldwin wasn't.

From what I've seen of Fisher, thus far, I'd rather have him than another JaMarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf -- which I'll bet money that is exactly what the Chiefs would have gotten if they had drafted a QB #1, overall.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 121

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    From what I've seen of Fisher, thus far, I'd rather have him than another JaMarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf -- which I'll bet money that is exactly what the Chiefs would have gotten if they had drafted a QB #1, overall.
    An overweight dude who couldn't read plays and had a blank cd sent home with to see if he was studying plays or not and when he came back and they asked how the plays looked he said they looked good (true story about JR)

Or a QB that couldn't handle the pressure and broke (and ruin the good name of MONTANA, the state) down then got into drugs and is in jail (i think still)

no, i think maybe david carr, but we'll never know

Thumbs Up
    Received: 258
    Given: 793

0 Not allowed!
    I do not think that Fisher will become another Jason Smith ( OT taken at #2 overall in 2009 ) as he has already made more good blocks than Smith has in a 4-yr period. Fisher did pretty good against a couple of respectable vets in Lamar Woodley and Ziggy Hood last Saturday. I know about his struggles in camp, but it is his FIRST NFL training. Now if he struggles at training camp in years 2 and 3, then there's cause for major concern. As far as I know, Justin Houston wasn't any ball of fire in his first training in 2011 & we know Baldwin wasn't.

I'd have to disagree about equating any QB that Reid would develop would be the next Ryan Leaf...Pioli, yeah, Reid no....Most of the QB's Reid has worked with have turned into sought after free agents, and that's saying something. It's not just the QB. It's the situation he walks into, as well.

IMHO Reid & Dorsey made an educated gamble by going with Fisher. Given what happened to Tony Brokie-aki, The Kelce pick & Fasano signing might turn out to be a season-saver. And after it was all said and done we did pickup a QB with an incredible arm. Reid's getting his pieces in place, my guess is the wide recievers are going to be under the microscope next.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    I'd have to disagree about equating any QB that Reid would develop would be the next Ryan Leaf...Pioli, yeah, Reid no....Most of the QB's Reid has worked with have turned into sought after free agents, and that's saying something. It's not just the QB. It's the situation he walks into, as well.

IMHO Reid & Dorsey made an educated gamble by going with Fisher. Given what happened to Tony Brokie-aki, The Kelce pick & Fasano signing might turn out to be a season-saver. And after it was all said and done we did pickup a QB with an incredible arm. Reid's getting his pieces in place, my guess is the wide recievers are going to be under the microscope next.
    Perhaps maybe Reid can break the KC curse when it comes to drafting QB's, but I'll believe it when I see it.

As for Fisher, they went with his upside over Joeckel's upside. The biggest gamble regarding Fisher was he didn't play at a major college & face the nations best pass-rushers on a steady basis, but he will be facing the NFL's best on a steady basis, so he's got his work cut out for him. Not a bad showing last week against Pittsburgh, but we'll have to see how he holds up over the long haul this season.

Regarding Moeaki, I'm glad they did pick up Fasano and draft Kelce because Moeaki simply has no luck staying healthy and on the field.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 08-28-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!
    I do not think that Fisher will become another Jason Smith..... I know about his struggles in camp, but it is his FIRST NFL training.
    Unless I'm wrong Fisher has been a LT all his life. Now he's being asked to do something that requires muscle and skeletal reactions in a total mirror image. IMO this is the main reason for "his struggles in camp." I'm not worried about his development. I worry, though, that he will lose his left tackle's muscle memory and we end up having picked a RT at the top of the draft. THANKS Branden Albert!!!

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    Unless I'm wrong Fisher has been a LT all his life. Now he's being asked to do something that requires muscle and skeletal reactions in a total mirror image. IMO this is the main reason for "his struggles in camp." I'm not worried about his development. I worry, though, that he will lose his left tackle's muscle memory and we end up having picked a RT at the top of the draft. THANKS Branden Albert!!!
    Maybe, but Willie Roaf played RT in his 1st season and then moved back over LT in 2nd season and was an All-Pro that year. Have to believe Fisher can make the switch back, as well.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe, but Willie Roaf played RT in his 1st season and then moved back over LT in 2nd season and was an All-Pro that year. Have to believe Fisher can make the switch back, as well.
    We have a good LT in Albert, but not a great one. Fisher can be a great LT. A year of playing RT won't hurt him much, but much more than that, I'm afraid, will. I just wish Albert would be able to and accept switching to RT. That would be best scenario
    IMO.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    We have a good LT in Albert, but not a great one. Fisher can be a great LT. A year of playing RT won't hurt him much, but much more than that, I'm afraid, will. I just wish Albert would be able to and accept switching to RT. That would be best scenario
    IMO.
    Albert won't do it and switch to the Right side & I don't blame him, as he never played on the Right side, ever. But, he has played LG before & I still believe he could be an All-Pro at that position but, it doesn't have the pay-scale market, so after all this time of playing LT, he wants the LT money, but he's wanting top-5 LT money from the Chiefs & already turned down multi-year offers twice.

The problem around Draft time was not being there at the voluntary workouts after signing the franchise tender. Once he signed the tender, they could not legally stop him from being there & he didn't necessarily have to go full-bore at those OTA's. He could have went this direction and eliminated some uncertainty and possibly had the Chiefs brass give stronger consideration to trading down & perhaps snagging a guy like the G Warmack or the RT Fluker and getting an extra pick in the process.

But, with the talks going on about the possibility of Albert holding out through OTA's and training camp, they stayed at #1 and took Fisher to cover themselves. Then, the trade talks regarding Albert never happened as the Chiefs probably wanted a 2nd round pick & the other 31 teams said "no way" & did not bite.

Albert did do a 180 degree turn after the draft, and reported to OTA's and will get paid well this year & get the chance to depict his own future.

Sorry that I was so harsh in my earlier posts, but I will say that thus far, Eric Berry has done well in pass-coverage this preseason, as I do not believe he's allowed more than one completion against him & he tackled the guy right away and didn't allow any YAC. I'm not sure if they are having him play more zone as opposed to man-to-man, but the previous regimes exposed him to play man-to-man TOO MUCH and they should have the finger pointed at them for the struggles that he experienced in pass defense. I saw that up close & personal at Arrowhead last year against SD, and wondered why they wouldn't let him play more Zone coverage to try to help keep things in front of him. After all, he was coming back from a knee injury that had caused him to miss all of 2011, and exposing him to man-to-man coverage, week in and week out, the way they did was just plain stupid.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 08-31-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 141

0 Not allowed!
    Albert won't do it and switch to the Right side & I don't blame him, as he never played on the Right side, ever. But, he has played LG before & I still believe he could be an All-Pro at that position but, it doesn't have the pay-scale market, so after all this time of playing LT, he wants the LT money, but he's wanting top-5 LT money from the Chiefs & already turned down multi-year offers twice.

The problem around Draft time was not being there at the voluntary workouts after signing the franchise tender. Once he signed the tender, they could not legally stop him from being there & he didn't necessarily have to go full-bore at those OTA's. He could have went this direction and eliminated some uncertainty and possibly had the Chiefs brass give stronger consideration to trading down & perhaps snagging a guy like the G Warmack or the RT Fluker and getting an extra pick in the process.

But, with the talks going on about the possibility of Albert holding out through OTA's and training camp, they stayed at #1 and took Fisher to cover themselves. Then, the trade talks regarding Albert never happened as the Chiefs probably wanted a 2nd round pick & the other 31 teams said "no way" & did not bite.

Albert did do a 180 degree turn after the draft, and reported to OTA's and will get paid well this year & get the chance to depict his own future.

Sorry that I was so harsh in my earlier posts, but I will say that thus far, Eric Berry has done well in pass-coverage this preseason, as I do not believe he's allowed more than one completion against him & he tackled the guy right away and didn't allow any YAC. I'm not sure if they are having him play more zone as opposed to man-to-man, but the previous regimes exposed him to play man-to-man TOO MUCH and they should have the finger pointed at them for the struggles that he experienced in pass defense. I saw that up close & personal at Arrowhead last year against SD, and wondered why they wouldn't let him play more Zone coverage to try to help keep things in front of him. After all, he was coming back from a knee injury that had caused him to miss all of 2011, and exposing him to man-to-man coverage, week in and week out, the way they did was just plain stupid.
    I think the big reason we had to use Berry in man coverage on athletic TEs was because there was no one else on the roster with th size and skills to cover him. Our nickel back was Javier Arenas. He is way too small to cover a TE. Our other CBs were not as skilled as a post-injury Berry, or too small. This year, we have better and bigger CBs and we also have other safeties who have the size and can cover man-to-man. Specifically, I expect to see Dunta Robinson all over Gates this year, but will not be surprised to see Berry cover him on occasion.

Also, consider Antonio Gates is one of the BEST TEs in the league. If he didn't have so many problems with injuries, you could argue he would have had a career equal to Tony G. So, giving up a couple passes to the 2nd best TE is acceptable to me. After all, I don't think there is anyone in the league who can claim to shut down Gates in man coverage when he is healthy.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I think the big reason we had to use Berry in man coverage on athletic TEs was because there was no one else on the roster with th size and skills to cover him. Our nickel back was Javier Arenas. He is way too small to cover a TE. Our other CBs were not as skilled as a post-injury Berry, or too small. This year, we have better and bigger CBs and we also have other safeties who have the size and can cover man-to-man. Specifically, I expect to see Dunta Robinson all over Gates this year, but will not be surprised to see Berry cover him on occasion.

Also, consider Antonio Gates is one of the BEST TEs in the league. If he didn't have so many problems with injuries, you could argue he would have had a career equal to Tony G. So, giving up a couple passes to the 2nd best TE is acceptable to me. After all, I don't think there is anyone in the league who can claim to shut down Gates in man coverage when he is healthy.
    Precisely why I'm suggesting ZONE coverage and not constant man to man coverage. Letting any opponent run circles around you all day long in man-to-man is NOT acceptable. It's a recipe for defeat.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345