Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Webnews: Ricky Stanzi among 14 cut by Chiefs

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 27

Post Webnews: Ricky Stanzi among 14 cut by Chiefs

0 Not allowed!
    By Darin Gantt
    The Chiefs made 14 of the 15 moves they need to make by Tuesday’s deadline to get to 75, and they got rid of a quarterback in the process. Among the cuts was Ricky Stanzi, a project of the previous administration. He was made expendable when the Chiefs traded for Alex Smith and signed free… Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 747

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    You are correct. There are some really good players from Pioli so i don't want to sound like I am hating on all of them. Still a lot of question marks by many of those. I really hope JR, ends up being a good player. From what I have heard he does not drop the ball much which has caught Andy's attention.

I also Love Houston.
    The guys on that list that I'm really keeping a close eye on are the O-Lineman, Hudson, Allen, and Stephenson. The Chiefs really need those guys, along with Fisher, to step to the forefront and become first-rate blockers.

I remember from 2000 through 2009 the Chiefs took only one O-Lineman it the top 3 rounds ( Albert in 2008) and by the time Pioli arrived in 2009, the Chiefs O-Line had degenerated into nothing & of course, Pioli in his infinite wisdom, treated the O-Line like an afterthought & did not set about addressing it properly ( passing on Russell Okung, who was too good a prospect to pass over with his 36-inch arms and inhuman strength and Seattle and their fans are still laughing their heads off on that one ) & it backfired on him very quickly. Pioli didn't understand that O-Lineman are a PREMIUM in KC and their history has proven that.

Fortunately, the new regime does understand the value of O-Lineman in KC with their selection of Fisher, and I'm betting he won't be the last O-Lineman that they take high in the draft.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Pioli in his infinite wisdom, treated the O-Line like an afterthought & did not set about addressing it properly ( passing on Russell Okung, who was too good a prospect to pass over with his 36-inch arms and inhuman strength and Seattle and their fans are still laughing their heads off on that one ) & it backfired on him very quickly.
    We took 5 and Seattle took 6. We took Eric Berry. That does not exactly qualify that as a "backfire."

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    We took 5 and Seattle took 6. We took Eric Berry. That does not exactly qualify that as a "backfire."
    Yes, it does. Berry has been just an average Safety that they could have gotten in rounds 2 through 7. Don't bother with BS about him being in the Pro Bowl, because he had no business being there & it doesn't cancel out the fact that he was too often an easy pigeon in pass defense both in 2010 and 2012. Okung has become an All-Pro and Earl Thomas has become a better Safety and so has Cam Chancellor who was taken in the 5th round of that same draft.

Do consider the fact that if they had taken Okung and he had became an All-Pro with the Chiefs, then there never would have been a #1 overall pick used to take a Tackle <-----THAT RIGHT THERE QUALIFIES AS A BACKFIRE !!

Drop the damn hero worship where Eric Berry is concerned & get your head out of his a$$. He's been OK, but there is no way you can truthfully tell me he's better than Bernard Pollard or Greg Wesley, the two guys who proceeded him.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 08-27-2013 at 02:20 AM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, it does. Berry has been just an average Safety that they could have gotten in rounds 2 through 7. Don't bother with BS about him being in the Pro Bowl, because he had no business being there & it doesn't cancel out the fact that he was too often an easy pigeon in pass defense both in 2010 and 2012. Okung has become an All-Pro and Earl Thomas has become a better Safety and so has Cam Chancellor who was taken in the 5th round of that same draft.

Do consider the fact that if they had taken Okung and he had became an All-Pro with the Chiefs, then there never would have been a #1 overall pick used to take a Tackle <-----THAT RIGHT THERE QUALIFIES AS A BACKFIRE !!

Drop the damn hero worship where Eric Berry is concerned & get your head out of his a$$. He's been OK, but there is no way you can truthfully tell me he's better than Bernard Pollard or Greg Wesley, the two guys who proceeded him.
    Berry is better than Pollard. Pollard wiffed on a lot of plays trying to make a huge hit. Berry is a more sound and consistent tackler and is more reliable. Yes he makes mistakes but Pollard was only making 1 out of 4 plays and was a serious liablilty in passing situations. Time after time, teams just abused him on 3rd down. Wesley was an average safey, who looked better becuase the rest of the defense including the corners were so much worse.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Berry is better than Pollard. Pollard wiffed on a lot of plays trying to make a huge hit. Berry is a more sound and consistent tackler and is more reliable. Yes he makes mistakes but Pollard was only making 1 out of 4 plays and was a serious liablilty in passing situations. Time after time, teams just abused him on 3rd down. Wesley was an average safey, who looked better becuase the rest of the defense including the corners were so much worse.
    Wesley once picked Tom Brady three times in a game in 2005 & it wasn't the first time he turned the hat trick. He did it against Miami in 2002. Pollard got abused in pass in pass coverage, yes, but so has Berry. Berry still hasn't found Antonio Gates in man to man coverage in 3 years. Berry can play zone, but he struggles with man to man. Sorry, but if I could take Wesley in his prime and replace Berry with him on this current Chiefs team, I would do it in a minute. My point is Berry wasn't worth the #5 overall pick & Dorsey and Reid would not have taken him over Okung if they had been making the picks for the Chiefs in 2010. History has proven that taking any Safety in the top 10 is a bad investment, with only the late Sean Taylor playing up to his draft status.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I see your 'hindsight' glasses have been cleaned up nicely. But even with the benefit of those you are incorrect in calling Berry an average safety.

But what kind of safety Berry is now is not even the point. Eric Berry was, by almost all draft experts, considered the next coming of Ed Reed and, as such - regardless of his position, a top 5 pick. WE PICKED HIM AT 5!

Look I'm one of the biggest advocates of "build the lines first" theory. I would have been totally satisfied with picking Okung. But we were set at LT and had a pitiful situation at safety. I also know that Pioli bashing is in vogue. But to bash the guy blindly and offering hindsight information as evidence is a truer form of having one's head in one's own a$$ than what you so gracefully accused me of.
    Last edited by Frankenchief; 08-27-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    I see your 'hindsight' glasses have been cleaned up nicely. But even with the benefit of those you are incorrect in calling Berry an average safety.

But what kind of safety Berry is now is not even the point. Eric Berry was, by almost all draft experts, considered the next coming of Ed Reed and, as such - regardless of his position, a top 5 pick. WE PICKED HIM AT 5!

Look I'm one of the biggest advocates of "build the lines first" theory. I would have been totally satisfied with picking Okung. But we were set at LT and had a pitiful situation at safety. I also know that Pioli bashing is in vogue. But to bash the guy blindly and offering hindsight information as evidence is a truer form of having one's head in one's own *** than what you so artfully accused me of.
    WRONG !! This is absolute BS. There was no hindsight. Nice try, but you fail & don't have a clue about what the hell you are talking about. This was discussed to death by myself & others on kcchiefs.com and other sites prior to the selection being made in 2010 & I provided a whole slew of points as to why if Okung was available, then he had to be the pick. Albert was terrible at LT in 2009 and they were NOT set at LT. Albert was a Guard in both college and high school & picking Okung and moving Albert to LG would have given the Chiefs a two-fold upgrade to their O-Line & you can't beat that by drafting any Safety. It's taken Albert many years to acquire the LT skills that Okung would have given them right from the get-go and Albert is not in Okung's league at present as Okung has become an All-Pro and he's regarded by everybody as one of the best, at present.

Plus I pointed out to people at that time, they had two 2nd round picks & there were many good Safety prospects available in that draft. Berry was hyped up by the ESPN hype machine as a top 5 pick, but Mike Mayock did not see it that way & had Earl Thomas rated ahead of Berry. I also pointed out at that time, that Berry was not as good a prospect coming out as another Tennessee Safety that the Chiefs had drafted at #20 in 1992 -- Dale Carter. Carter was faster, a better tackler, and a good kick returner. In fact, Carters coverage skills were good enough the Chiefs moved him to CB after they drafted him & he picked off 7 passes in his rookie year and returned 2 punts for TD's.

Calling him an average Safety is correct. He struggles in man-to-man coverage, has not forced a fumble or recovered a fumble thus far & most of the INT's that he's made have been of the variety of the opposing QB pulling a turd out of his back pocket and heaving it downfield and having it stick between the number 2 and the number 9 on Berry's chest.

Jason Whitlock and Kent Babb both went on record as saying Berry was the most overrated player in the NFL & they are quite correct. So, if you wish to foolishly believe what I said was hindsight, then you go ahead and do that. My analysis still stands. Even if it were hindsight, which it isn't, it's still better than being blinded by hero worship.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 08-27-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 74

0 Not allowed!
    Add Newsome to the list of those cut
    Kansas City Chiefs
    @KCChiefs
    1h

Chiefs release WR Jamar Newsome. Roster now at 75 players. Via: @KCChiefs_Reid

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    WRONG !! This is absolute BS. There was no hindsight. Nice try, but you fail & don't have a clue about what the hell you are talking about. This was discussed to death by myself & others on kcchiefs.com and other sites prior to the selection being made in 2010 & I provided a whole slew of points as to why if Okung was available, then he had to be the pick. Albert was terrible at LT in 2009 and they were NOT set at LT. Albert was a Guard in both college and high school & picking Okung and moving Albert to LG would have given the Chiefs a two-fold upgrade to their O-Line & you can't beat that by drafting any Safety. It's taken Albert many years to acquire the LT skills that Okung would have given them right from the get-go and Albert is not in Okung's league at present as Okung has become an All-Pro and he's regarded by everybody as one of the best, at present.

Plus I pointed out to people at that time, they had two 2nd round picks & there were many good Safety prospects available in that draft. Berry was hyped up by the ESPN hype machine as a top 5 pick, but Mike Mayock did not see it that way & had Earl Thomas rated ahead of Berry. I also pointed out at that time, that Berry was not as good a prospect coming out as another Tennessee Safety that the Chiefs had drafted at #20 in 1992 -- Dale Carter. Carter was faster, a better tackler, and a good kick returner. In fact, Carters coverage skills were good enough the Chiefs moved him to CB after they drafted him & he picked off 7 passes in his rookie year and returned 2 punts for TD's.

Calling him an average Safety is correct. He struggles in man-to-man coverage, has not forced a fumble or recovered a fumble thus far & most of the INT's that he's made have been of the variety of the opposing QB pulling a turd out of his back pocket and heaving it downfield and having it stick between the number 2 and the number 9 on Berry's chest.

Jason Whitlock and Kent Babb both went on record as saying Berry was the most overrated player in the NFL & they are quite correct. So, if you wish to foolishly believe what I said was hindsight, then you go ahead and do that. My analysis still stands. Even if it were hindsight, which it isn't, it's still better than being blinded by hero worship.
    All your opinion. You are welcome to it.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    All your opinion. You are welcome to it.
    Guess again. Not an opinion. I've seen the evidence of what I said manifest itself repeatedly over and over again on the football field. The overhead camera doesn't lie.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast