Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Chiefs Crowd

Default Chiefs Crowd

I would like to say a few things to everybody on the board:

I didn't know I rubbed that many people the wrong way on this site, that was never my intention. I will admit that I have been too negative with this regime, even though I originally supported the hiring of Reid and Dorsey. In almost every post I talk about Alex Smith and I realize I have been quite critical of the qb, this has also upset some. I just want this team to do well, I really do. It upsets me that I see a talented team held back with what I believe to be a game manager. However, I do understand Smith is our quarterback atleast for the time being and in the future if I continue to post I promise to be more objective and far less critical.

-MMO

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    For the record I do not hate Alex Smith... http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/sh...084#post273084

I actually wanted to sign him, just not trade for him.
    IT of course would have been better if we could just sign him but the niners knew that teams would be after him and they got the most they could. Reid was willing to pay it. He wanted to trade for Smith when he was with the eagles. I thought when the trade was made that it was to high for Smith given that there were a lot of years that Smith didn't do so well. But if Smith takes this team to the playoffs and gets some playoff wins then the trade will be a bargain IMO
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Those 2 draft picks are not worth the tantrums you keep throwing.

Well thank you mymanorton..

While I don't share, at this point, MMH's criticisms much of the time he is entitle to his own point of view and has as much right as anyone to state it. Now if it's his point of view you have a problem with then the ignore feature works quite well or simply decide on your own NOT to read his replies. While we all have a right to make known our opinions, no one has a right to be "read" so to speak. His opinions are just that; his. Continuing to engage him with futile discussion only results in the "beating of a dead horse". Agree or disagree and move on.

For the record I do not hate Alex Smith... http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/sh...084#post273084

I actually wanted to sign him, just not trade for him.
    I definitely was disappointed in how much we gave up for him. That was before the draft. After seeing so many QBs NOT get drafted until the later rounds, it seems to me that all the teams had this QB class rated pretty low. That means any free agents or trades on the market are going to be much more valuable. I think if you look at it that way, then it makes the 2 draft picks seem somewhat more tolerable.

I mean Cassel was on the market for a couple days and got frickin nearly $2 mil/yr. We likely paid the market price for an above average QB. The problem was that it was a sellers market and we were desperate.

I would like to say a few things to everybody on the board:

I didn't know I rubbed that many people the wrong way on this site, that was never my intention. I will admit that I have been too negative with this regime, even though I originally supported the hiring of Reid and Dorsey. In almost every post I talk about Alex Smith and I realize I have been quite critical of the qb, this has also upset some. I just want this team to do well, I really do. It upsets me that I see a talented team held back with what I believe to be a game manager. However, I do understand Smith is our quarterback atleast for the time being and in the future if I continue to post I promise to be more objective and far less critical.

-MMO
    This would be much more believeable if you had omitted one sentence. But it's okay. Coach Crennel understands how you feel, and picked out a song just for you.

apparently EVERYONE agrees that we gave up more than they wanted to for Alex, but again EVERYONE wants him to lead us to the playoffs and actually win a playoff game and hopefully more. anyone who would actually be rooting for him to fail and take the CHIEFS down with him could not be a true CHIEFS fan, more likely would have to be like a raders fan. so I am guessing that no one on this board fits into that category. what I don't understand why are we still arguing when we are all rooting for the same thing.
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

On the subject of the price we paid to get Alex Smith it is important to look at this in context. Right now I can turn on the tap and get a drink of water. So I am not much inclined to pay a lot of money for water. But put me in the middle of the desert with no water for 2 days and there is almost no price I wouldn't pay for water.

Figuratively, the Chiefs were in the desert with no water. The Cassel experiment had proved a failure and we desperately needed a QB. Holding the 1st pick in the draft would have made that an easy choice in most years, just take the top QB in the draft. But this year's QB class was one of the weakest in a long time. Evidently most teams thought that as the 1st two QBs in the draft went at #16 and #39.

In addition, after last years fan revolt I think Reid was under some pressure to "WIN NOW!". I don't think he or Dorsey felt that any of the QBs in the draft had that kind of potential. There was no obvious RG III and Andrew Luck in this years draft class. So if you buy into the idea that Reid and Dorsey felt pressure to "WIN NOW" then it becomes pretty evident that we needed to trade for a QB. Reid it seems had eyed Smith for a while so that was the way we were going to go.

Like anyone, I would have far preferred that SF released Smith and we picked him up, but that wasn't going to happen. With the weak draft class, the value of any sort of veteran QB went WAY UP! Too many teams needed QB, there didn't seem to be much available in the draft, so there were going to be plenty of teams looking to pick up a QB in the "used" market. SF management may be many things, but absolutely stupid isn't one of them. They had a valuable commodity (see water in the desert above) and they was no way they were going to give him away cheap. If we wanted to get a QB in the "used" market we were going to have to pay well for him. It's called supply and demand.

As it turns out, we could have picked Fisher at #1 and still gotten Geno Smith with our second round pick....but NOBODY expected him to be still available when our second round pick came up. So that wasn't an option. We couldn't take the risk. Even if we had known we could get Geno with our second round pick who knows if that would have been better than getting Alex Smith? I've yet to see anything from Geno that says he is going to light any fires this year. He may, but only time will tell. And when it comes to making choices for your football team you have to go with your best estimate of who is going to be able to help you the most. Reid and Dorsey decided that was Alex Smith not Geno.

So....Did we overpay for Smith? Not in the market for QBs that was available at the time. Did we get good value for what we paid? We don't know yet. And we won't know for a while.

But in the end, he is our QB now and he deserves our support until he proves one way or another how good a QB he is.

well as far as alex, my opinion is that if he plays for us 5-7 years and we are playoff contenders every year and make some deep runs or SB, he was well worth it, especially since there were no qb's in this draft that were worth a pick prior to rd 3 probably 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Chiefy View Post
    well as far as alex, my opinion is that if he plays for us 5-7 years and we are playoff contenders every year and make some deep runs or SB, he was well worth it, especially since there were no qb's in this draft that were worth a pick prior to rd 3 probably 4.
    That is pretty much what I was trying to say. We may have WAAAAY overpaid for him or he may have been the steal of the century. Only time will tell. So long as he plays well, I can live with it if we go 6-10 or better this year. I'm expecting that we may lose a few winnable games early on this year just because so much is new. New GM. New coach. New QB. New offensive scheme. A lot of new stuff for people to learn. But so long as the offense seems to be really coming together by mid-season then I can accept a disappointing record this year. And if we don't make the playoffs this year, then I'd almost rather go 6-10 or 7-9 so that the conditional pick becomes a 2 and a 3 rather than a 2 and 2. But if after that we are always in playoff contention and get a couple of playoff wins over a few years then I'll feel we paid a reasonable price for Alex Smith. If we got a Superbowl appearance with him at the helm....well...then Reid and Dorsey just flat out robbed SF.

But as I have said many times.....only time will tell and anyone that says different is just reading crystal balls.....and I don't much believe in Fortune Tellers.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast