Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Game 1 toughts

Default Game 1 toughts

The good
    The defense whats not to like. One late game drive when the game has been long over doesn't mean much. This defense was great today. Much better then what they were a year ago

the offense they got the ball in the endzone when they were in the redzone. That's something they didn't do much last year. Time and time again they settled for 3. Today they did a great job of getting the ball in the endzone and getting 6

The not so good

Offense has to move the ball more. The WRs need to step up. Bowe is a far better WR then what we saw today. There were times that they seemed to be looking to try to go to a WR but no one got open and Smith had to make something happen with his legs. The offense has to be better against better teams they just didn't move the ball much at all. They will grow as time goes on and the players get more time in the offense but they have to be better then they were in week 1 when it comes to moving the football
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    LOL, yeah, a very good exhibit at that.

But let's compare what apples to apples here -- specifically the players brought in by each GM in his 1st year in KC, as far as FA's, trades, and draft picks.

PIOLI:

Pioli trades a 2nd round pick for Cassel and Mike Vrabel. No veteran FA's that were worth two cents were signed. He drafts Tyson Jackson and gets lucky with Succop, but as for the rest of his draft picks in that 2009 draft, anybody could easily see that the rest of those guys were going to be out of NFL in a short time & probably delivering pizza to your doorstep. 5 of 7 picks wasted. No rookie FA's worth squat. And that was it. And let us not forget cutting Pollard and getting nothing in return. Almost next to nothing to try to make the Chiefs better.

DORSEY :

Dorsey trades a pair of 2nd rounders ( and until proven wrong, I do believe the Chiefs will be better than 8-8 and sending a 2nd round pick to the Niners in 2014 ) for Alex Smith, and while the cost was high, at least they get a QB that has won in the playoffs, isn't a turnover machine, and hasn't been handed a mega-contract like Cassel was.

Dorsey brings in veteran FA's Fasano, Avery, Schwartz, DeVito, Smith, Robinson, Demps, Jordan, Assulah, Zombo & Daniel -- not stars, but a solid core of good vets with 5 of them starting today and the others providing reasonably decent depth.

Dorsey made 8 picks in his first draft & came away with 7 promising players & with only 6th round draftee FB Braden Wilson getting cut, plus 3 rookie FA's with one of them being a possible QBOTF & possibly the best QB in the 2013 class when it's all said and done.

Plus, Dorsey realized that guys like Baldwin & Arenas weren't going anywhere with this team & traded them and at least got something in return ( FB Sherman and WR Jenkins ).

This is what a real GM ( Dorsey ) really looks like compared to a politician trying to play GM ( Pioli ).
    Agreed on many, many points. Pioli played politics and took the words "Team Nepotism" to new levels. If it didn't come from New England, it went somewhere else.

I'd argue that part of the reason many of those draft picks were unsuccessful was mainly due to bad coaching. The second the Alex Magees and all the other already-long-forgotten draft picks hit the door, their career was already in jeopardy from not being in an environment that would make them better, or a least justify being a third, fourth or fifith round draft pick in the NFL. Pioli never had his coaching ducks in a row, the only possible exception being 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Agreed on many, many points. Pioli played politics and took the words "Team Nepotism" to new levels. If it didn't come from New England, it went somewhere else.

I'd argue that part of the reason many of those draft picks were unsuccessful was mainly due to bad coaching. The second the Alex Magees and all the other already-long-forgotten draft picks hit the door, their career was already in jeopardy from not being in an environment that would make them better, or a least justify being a third, fourth or fifith round draft pick in the NFL. Pioli never had his coaching ducks in a row, the only possible exception being 2010.
    You nailed it right there regarding Pioli with the term "Team Nepotism". He thought that the "NE way" was going to work in KC and tried to sell everyone that he was the reason for NE's success when he wasn't. You knew that Pioli was history when it was announced that Clark Hunt was going after Andy Reid, because Reid would not put up with Pioli politics.

At the end of last year, I had posted on this forum for Clark Hunt to look up north to GB for a GM candidate because I believed a Ted Thompson disciple was what the Chiefs needed to get this thing turned around -- in other words, a real GM.

We saw the results on the football field, yesterday. This team won't be a laughing stock this year.

Tied for first feels nice, gotta admit. Dexter McCluster looks like he'll be used more in closer games, I noticed that although he was seldom used in this preseasons games, he seems to have plays designed towards him as the first target. Our backup running game was alright, mind you it was against a defense playing against a lead. Our defense looks like it may be the ball-hawking, blitz-worrying defense we have been envisioning... on the other hand we played a young, somewhat hapless team, in their house mind you... take that as it is, it's still a W, on the road.

I'd like to add that we closed out the first half in style with that aggressive push-back and eventual sack by Dontari Poe was a highlight, even had he not reached him Jackson would have and it was a three man press with all receivers going deep, awesome way to close out the half!
    Last edited by KristofLaw; 09-09-2013 at 12:33 PM.
    *** Kansas City Chiefs 2013 - 2014 ***

While this wasn't the best win in Chiefs history it was a big one none-the-less. One thing you usually see is that the contenders in the NFL almost always beat the teams they should beat. The Jags are not a great team, we should have beaten them and we did.

The Red Zone play was also very encouraging. I can't remember the last time we got a TD every time we got inside the red zone.

The defense played great football. There were some times when Jag receivers got open and that would have been a problem if we were playing a better team than the Jags, but all-in-all the Defense did a great job. Best of all, there was no let up by the defense in the second half. With a 19 point lead in the second half a lot of defenses would have gotten squishy. Ours didn't. They didn't give the Jags offense a chance to breath until the last drive when nothing could have saved the Jags.

The offense was the one area of serious concern. There were no sustained drives and that is worrisome. But when they got their chances they put TDs on the board not FGs. They looked pretty futile in the second half, but I'm willing to believe that Reid figured the game was in the bag and decided there was no need to show Dallas and the rest of the league every bit of our offensive playbook. The other important plus on offense is that they didn't shoot themselves in the foot. We didn't put the ball on the ground and we didn't throw it to the other team. They pretty much played mistake-free football. That alone will win some games. Not screwing up is the first step in becoming a truly good football team.

My summary? Most importantly it's a WIN not a loss. We did a lot of things well and we didn't do anything really badly. Looks to me like we have taken a big step towards building a team that can be a contender. I'm not saying we are one, just that there has been a BIG turnaround in this team and we are certainly heading in the right direction.

GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    While this wasn't the best win in Chiefs history it was a big one none-the-less. One thing you usually see is that the contenders in the NFL almost always beat the teams they should beat. The Jags are not a great team, we should have beaten them and we did.

The Red Zone play was also very encouraging. I can't remember the last time we got a TD every time we got inside the red zone.

The defense played great football. There were some times when Jag receivers got open and that would have been a problem if we were playing a better team than the Jags, but all-in-all the Defense did a great job. Best of all, there was no let up by the defense in the second half. With a 19 point lead in the second half a lot of defenses would have gotten squishy. Ours didn't. They didn't give the Jags offense a chance to breath until the last drive when nothing could have saved the Jags.

The offense was the one area of serious concern. There were no sustained drives and that is worrisome. But when they got their chances they put TDs on the board not FGs. They looked pretty futile in the second half, but I'm willing to believe that Reid figured the game was in the bag and decided there was no need to show Dallas and the rest of the league every bit of our offensive playbook. The other important plus on offense is that they didn't shoot themselves in the foot. We didn't put the ball on the ground and we didn't throw it to the other team. They pretty much played mistake-free football. That alone will win some games. Not screwing up is the first step in becoming a truly good football team.

My summary? Most importantly it's a WIN not a loss. We did a lot of things well and we didn't do anything really badly. Looks to me like we have taken a big step towards building a team that can be a contender. I'm not saying we are one, just that there has been a BIG turnaround in this team and we are certainly heading in the right direction.

I agree for the most part. Although, realistically, Alex Smith did "throw an interception" in the first half, not technically or officially, but the Jacksonville cornerback should have caught one for an interception. But, that is probably being a little too picky on my part. This happens all the time every Sunday.

You nailed it right there with what I quoted in bold and something that's not been mentioned on this board regarding Alex Smith, but the game commentators touched on. Alex Smith was the most efficient Red Zone QB in football last year and it carried over yesterday. That's the key -- get it into the Red Zone more often. Plus, the astronomical amount of 3 and outs that we saw last year was reduced significantly. I would have liked to have seen Davis and Gray get more carries in that 2nd half & it seemed like they were trying to throw the ball just a bit too much some times.

As for being a contender, until proven wrong, it's my belief that if they stay healthy & their O-Line progresses and becomes one of the leagues better units, then they will be a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by mcclusterfan1982 View Post
    I agree for the most part. Although, realistically, Alex Smith did "throw an interception" in the first half, not technically or officially, but the Jacksonville cornerback should have caught one for an interception. But, that is probably being a little too picky on my part. This happens all the time every Sunday.
    You'll get no arguments from me. Alex Smith didn't look like Peyton or Eli Manning. That is for certain. There are quarterbacks that all by themselves can lift a team to a whole different level.....and I don't think Alex is one of them. But with the right team around him I think he can bring us back to respectability and maybe into contention. I want us to win a Superbowl as much as any Chiefs Fan does, but for right now I'll happily "settle" for being in the hunt for a playoff spot until the last week or two of the season. Once we get there, then it's about getting a couple of playoff wins. After that then I will expect that Lombardi Trophy. But after the last few years I just want to see some substantial improvement.

You'll get no arguments from me. Alex Smith didn't look like Peyton or Eli Manning. That is for certain. There are quarterbacks that all by themselves can lift a team to a whole different level.....and I don't think Alex is one of them. But with the right team around him I think he can bring us back to respectability and maybe into contention. I want us to win a Superbowl as much as any Chiefs Fan does, but for right now I'll happily "settle" for being in the hunt for a playoff spot until the last week or two of the season. Once we get there, then it's about getting a couple of playoff wins. After that then I will expect that Lombardi Trophy. But after the last few years I just want to see some substantial improvement.
    Eli is not a good comparison last night he threw 3 ints. I know on most days he doesn't but to me Eli should not be in same class as Peyton.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    You nailed it right there with what I quoted in bold and something that's not been mentioned on this board regarding Alex Smith, but the game commentators touched on. Alex Smith was the most efficient Red Zone QB in football last year and it carried over yesterday. That's the key -- get it into the Red Zone more often. Plus, the astronomical amount of 3 and outs that we saw last year was reduced significantly. I would have liked to have seen Davis and Gray get more carries in that 2nd half & it seemed like they were trying to throw the ball just a bit too much some times.

As for being a contender, until proven wrong, it's my belief that if they stay healthy & their O-Line progresses and becomes one of the leagues better units, then they will be a contender.
    Thanks. Being a successful football team is really about doing the basics right.

When you get inside the enemy 20 yard line, you score points and it better be TDs most of the time.

When you have the enemy in 3rd and long, you DON'T let them convert.

You don't throw interceptions.

You don't fumble the ball and when you do, you recover it.

You beat the crap out of the enemy's offensive line.

Your defensive line stands like a brick wall.

Do most of those things most of the time and you are going to win most of your games.

Jazz will win a lot of football games. Doing the "basics" right most of the time will win more.

If we can keep our current coaching/management team I think we will get back to where we want to be.

How about a big shout out to our O-Line!!! What improvement since pre-season. Haven't seen anyone give them love yet they did great!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast