Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Alex Smith's first start as a Chief...

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Falls Village, Ct
    Posts
    4,099
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 362
    Given: 414

    Default Alex Smith's first start as a Chief...


    2 Not allowed!
    I hope everybody will keep this thread on Alex Smith rather than comparing him to someone else. Please?

    So how did our new QB do?

    Seems to me he did pretty much what he was supposed to. We scored TDs when we got in the Red Zone. We didn't give the football away. He threw for two touchdowns. Completed just shy of 62% of his passes. He threw no interceptions. He didn't lose any fumbles. He wasn't terribly exciting. But when all is said and done, we won a game we should have. And that alone is a BIG improvement. I certainly don't see him carrying us to a Superbowl by himself, but with the right team around him he certainly won't stop us.

    All in all I feel the same way about him that I have from the start.....cautiously optimistic and without a doubt a BIG improvement.

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 223

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I am glad we have a QB with the ability to outrun some linesmen. Matt Cassell was so so that no one had to worry about him being a running threat. Dagnabit, there I go making a comparison. Whoops! :)

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,468
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 659
    Given: 814

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Overall, Alex did good, not great, but good.

    The biggest thing is he was able to keep up with his Red Zone efficiency, as he was the best Red Zone QB in football last year -- so that's the key -- get the ball into the Red Zone more often.

    And Alex is not a turnover machine like we've seen from past Chiefs QB's and they haven't had a sturdy veteran commander at QB since Trent Green.

    Not only that, having Smith on board is going to give them time to develop their QBOTF in Tyler Bray.

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Falls Village, Ct
    Posts
    4,099
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 362
    Given: 414

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcclusterfan1982 View Post
    I am glad we have a QB with the ability to outrun some linesmen. Matt Cassell was so so that no one had to worry about him being a running threat. Dagnabit, there I go making a comparison. Whoops! :)
    No worries! I think everybody knows what I meant about not making comparisons and it had nothing to do with MC.

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    677
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 80

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    In developing Tyler Bray, hopefully he picks up the ball control and game management from Alex Smith with that whip of an arm he should develope quite nicely! Smith is SMART with that football and doesn't force things. Dallas will be a tougher opponent, he might be forced to force some throws but I think everyone will agree with me on this...when we were losing our offense and defense both got very interesting. Smith was throwing downfield plays were happening, why when we are up by 3 touchdowns do we need to try to embarrass our opponent and possibly make mistakes that can ultimately cost us the game that we pretty much have in the bag? IT'S ABOUT BEING SMART AND NOT GREEDY ENJOY THE WIN!

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Falls Village, Ct
    Posts
    4,099
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 362
    Given: 414

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Overall, Alex did good, not great, but good.

    The biggest thing is he was able to keep up with his Red Zone efficiency, as he was the best Red Zone QB in football last year -- so that's the key -- get the ball into the Red Zone more often.

    And Alex is not a turnover machine like we've seen from past Chiefs QB's and they haven't had a sturdy veteran commander at QB since Trent Green.

    Not only that, having Smith on board is going to give them time to develop their QBOTF in Tyler Bray.
    You have hit the nail on the head with the part I marked in bold.

    Get the ball in the Red Zone! Then get TDs most of the time when you do. This has been one of our weaknesses for longer than I can remember. For way to many years the Chiefs have been the kings of the field goal. It's great to have an accurate and powerful kicker and he will save your bacon many times, but in a perfect world your kicker shouldn't be scoring a lot of points 'cause almost all he should be doing is kicking PATs.

    Alex Smith may not be Superman, but if when he gets inside the enemy 20 yard line he becomes like a shark that smells blood in the water then we will be talking about him for a long long time.

    On Bray....He certainly has a ways to go, but I think he may become one of the best decisions of the Reid/Dorsey era.

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Falls Village, Ct
    Posts
    4,099
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 362
    Given: 414

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    In developing Tyler Bray, hopefully he picks up the ball control and game management from Alex Smith with that whip of an arm he should develope quite nicely! Smith is SMART with that football and doesn't force things. Dallas will be a tougher opponent, he might be forced to force some throws but I think everyone will agree with me on this...when we were losing our offense and defense both got very interesting. Smith was throwing downfield plays were happening, why when we are up by 3 touchdowns do we need to try to embarrass our opponent and possibly make mistakes that can ultimately cost us the game that we pretty much have in the bag? IT'S ABOUT BEING SMART AND NOT GREEDY ENJOY THE WIN!
    I'd have felt better if early in the second half we had put together one 60-80 yard drive to drive a stake through their hearts, but if Reid was pulling his punches so as not to give Dallas next week and the rest of the league a look at everything he has up his sleeve then I am OK with that. I just didn't feel that the game was "in the bag" until Hali's pick-6.

  8. #8
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Someplace
    Posts
    1,261
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 121

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    For the 1st game of his career with the Chiefs and on the road I would say he did quite well, not quite 7 TD's well, but well enough. His numbers were very good, he moved the pocket with his feet, he seemed to be slightly off with his receivers at times but I think that was more first game jitters and the lead may have been intimidating.

    His efficiency rating, passing accuracy and all other things show great potential towards the season through this game. We'll hit a three hundred yard game sooner or later, 4 TD passes, who knows, we got a W and there wasn't very much to rain on that IMO. :)

    They kept the defense off the field, do that some more this year and they will reward the offense greatly.
    *** Kansas City Chiefs 2013 - 2014 ***

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Someplace
    Posts
    1,261
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 121

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Any grading system that someone would wish to throw out there or just straight forward analysis, let's hear it brothers, discuss our guy.
    *** Kansas City Chiefs 2013 - 2014 ***

  10. #10
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Miles City, Montana
    Posts
    1,638
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 122

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    5th lowest yards this week by a QB (173), T-5th with 15 players for TDs thrown (2), 0 INTS (could of had one if Jax didn't have the drops all day), 15th in passer rating, 17th in Attempts (website i used didn't on completion %) and this is all before 4 more QBs come out and play

    http://www.nfl.com/stats/weeklyleade...ype=REG&week=1

    B

    Can't really fully grade him if he was "held back" in the second half because we didn't want to use our gameplan anymore

    Also it was against the Jags

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Alex Smith (from Niners fan)
    By DMH in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-16-2013, 12:29 AM
  2. Alex Smith v. Tony Romo v. Geno Smith
    By texaschief in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 04-22-2013, 03:23 PM
  3. ALEX SMITH = Done deal!!!
    By Justin5772002 in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 137
    Last Post: 03-30-2013, 03:13 AM
  4. Here's who Alex Smith is
    By Ryfo18 in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-11-2013, 02:24 PM
  5. Alex Smith...
    By Chiefster in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 02-27-2013, 03:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •