Thread: Alex Smith's second start as a Chief.....

Default Alex Smith's second start as a Chief.....

So.....What does everybody think of Alex Smith's second start as a Chief?

My thoughts......

Exactly what I thought last week.....

58%+ completion rate.

Zero interceptions.

Zero fumbles.

2 trips to the red zone.....2 touchdowns.

8 rushes for 57 yards.

Most important he showed HEART! There is no quit in Alex Smith. If he couldn't get it done with his arm he was damned well DETERMINED to get it done with his legs. I want that spirit in a QB.

Downside......

He was sacked 4 times. But I won't put that all in Alex's lap. The O-line was unimpressive to say the least.

All in all....he seems to be what we bought.....a QB that won't win a game all by himself, but won't lose it and if you give him half a chance will put the points on the board.

In short, IMO he is living up to what he is supposed to be. And I am good with that.

Great game by Alex. The only "construction criticism" is that he held on to the ball for too long sometimes. But, again, great game for him! Another game with 0 turnovers! Wow, I sure do not miss Matty Cassel!!

Alex Smith's 2nd start as a Chiefs was pretty darn good.

When the O line was stinking up the joint he didn't panic he didn't try to force throws he made something happen with his legs. That can't keep up at the pace we saw or we will see the backup QB in.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post

When the O line was stinking up the joint he didn't panic he didn't try to force throws he made something happen with his legs. That can't keep up at the pace we saw or we will see the backup QB in.
    ...This!

Very solid performance in week 2 for Alex.

For all the stat whores that have been dissing Alex for the last several months, there was one stat they never mentioned -- RED ZONE EFFICIENCY. Alex Smith is the best red zone QB in football. 5 times they've gotten the ball in the red zone & 5 times they have taken it in, with Alex pitching 4 of those TD's.

Does make you wonder, what's going to happen IF they somehow, someway, get it into the red zone 5 to 8 times in any of these upcoming games -- and there's still 14 to go.

They gotta do a better job of protecting him, but not just the O-Line. Play-calling has to be tweaked and, as jason1981 has rightfully mentioned more than once, they need to incorporate more power running plays for the following reasons:

1. You have a RB like Charles that can take it the distance from anywhere on the field. Plus, this Offense needs more consistent 5 yard pickups, as too often Charles is getting stopped at the line of scrimmage in this hurry-up Offense.

2. The O-Line has 5 guys that are capable drive blockers & in the first two games they've spent too much time back on their heels.
    They need more chances to put the opposing defenders back on their heels.

3. It will set up play-action to take more shots down the field through the air & force the opposing Defense to cover the entire field.

4. When Kelce get healthy, then they'll have two good blocking TE's that can help the power running game. Plus the FB Sherman.

5. Alex Smith will take less hits & he did run that type of Offense in SF.

Smith hasn't been the problem in Offense -- the problem I'm seeing is they are running the no-huddle, hurry-up, two minute drill Offense a little too much.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 09-16-2013 at 01:51 AM.

Need to work on getting the plays off. Two delay of game penalties are not good.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post

Two games in a row, Smith continues to prove Reid was right for wanting him here. He scrambles way more than I thought he would, but I'd rather have him doing that and picking up first downs than sticking with a play that's going nowhere.

I do agree our O-line needs some work, but it's a pretty young O-line. Another thing that needs some work is our recieving corps, which might explain all the QB scrambles. Bowe, Avery and Smith really need to get on the same page (easier said than done, Reid's playbook is probably four inches thick, weighs about the same as the yellow pages and is as much fun to read...) but so far Smith looks like he's got it down pat.