Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game 2 thoughts. [The real thread observations ;)]

Default Game 2 thoughts. [The real thread observations ;)]

Here's some observations in no particular order:

1- It is quite refreshing after all these years to have a QB who goes through his reads and knows when to move up the pocket or out of it. Smith is every bit the game manager as advertised, but for the foreseeable future he will do quite nicely. There will come a point in the next few years that I would like to see us have a game creator. One who will actually stand in the pocket and deliver missiles downfield over the Ds' heads into the waiting hands of our receivers every once in a while.

2- Our O-line is grossly underachieving. I'm not an O-line guru to pick up all the nuances, but I look up and down our line and wonder why they are not better. So is it talent or coaching and the scheme?

3- Continuing on the theme of #2, Fisher is definitely a work in progress. A somewhat slow progress, that is. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of his, but he is lost out there some times. The time that their DE almost picked him up and drove him into Smith's face was downright embarrassing.

4- I hate, hate, hate the bend but don't break style of D that Romeo had here. I'm quite thankful we have this aggressive style this year. The last time we did have an aggressive D style, Marty was our HC. But don't get too excited. Marty's D was not only swarming, but also trained for TAKEAWAYS. Yes we did get several turnovers, but the were not of the TAKEAWAY variety. I want to see our guys reach into the ball carrier's belly and attempt to yank the ball out every time.

5- We are a good team, but nowhere near a great team. Let's be realistic. I hate to say it but we will have a hard time standing up to Denver Peytons. I mean we would have lost today's game if it was played in Dallas. The good news though is that barring injury this team will only gel and get better as the season progresses. Toppling Denver from the perch will have to be someone else's job. Hopefully they'll choke again in the playoffs and the Manning era will come to a quick end.

6- What's up with Dez Bryant. I wanted him out of college for the Chiefs. Then he proved to be a head case and I was happy we didn't have him. Then he seems to have fixed his head and become a team leader. Urrrrgh! My head is spinning.

7- Continuing about Dez, I was cursing Andy a bit for not asking for a replay of that long catch before Dallas's 1st TD. I was pretty sure he came down with both hands above the ball. After having seen the highlights a few times I'm not so sure now. Maybe Andy was right. Could it be I was wr... wr... wrong?! Anyway, old Dez returned the favor late in the game by not hauling in that long sideline pass that landed right into his grasp.

8- Jamall Charles is much tougher than his stature suggests. Did you see how he bulldozed that one defender out of the way in the 3rd quarter (4th?) like Sherman tank in a demolition derby? The sound of the pads impact was like thunder.

9- I'm gonna go out on the limb here and claim that barring injuries, Dontari Poe is the next Warren Sapp. I know Iknow, it's a shaky limb, but I don't think it will snap.

And last but not least.....

10- I don't care if Dustin Colquitt is a Democrat or a Republican. If he runs for President, I am voting for him...

2. I think our offensive line is performing to my expectations. Just some how drafting a Tackle #1 over all made the whole line better in some peoples eyes. I do not think Albert is worth what he is expecting but is a decent LT. Asamoha had been nothing but average and at times a liability. Hudson was nothing more than average center before he. So you are seing an Average Center playing hurt. Allen had proved nothing yet to say he was worth mentioning. So what you are seeing is a lot of young young players who have the potentional to be good, but are clearly not there and it is showing.

4. what do you mean they were not take away variety. Demps had a ball in hand early in the game but dropped it. Both fumbles were a result of the players making a play on the ball and not just a fluke fumble speically the fumble by Romo. Berry had a pick also but was flagged with a hold when the receiver ran into him.

Knile Davis + returning kicks = please don't do.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    2. I think our offensive line is performing to my expectations. Just some how drafting a Tackle #1 over all made the whole line better in some peoples eyes. I do not think Albert is worth what he is expecting but is a decent LT. Asamoha had been nothing but average and at times a liability. Hudson was nothing more than average center before he. So you are seing an Average Center playing hurt. Allen had proved nothing yet to say he was worth mentioning. So what you are seeing is a lot of young young players who have the potentional to be good, but are clearly not there and it is showing.
    Agreed. Fisher is playing out of position and he's going to suffer from inexperience in this first year, but I still think he's better than Winston, Richardson, and O'Callaghan who played at RT before Fisher was drafted.

Allen and Asamoah are WAY overrated by many Chiefs fans & nobody should mistake either of them for Will Shields and neither are even close to the caliber of Shields. If those two don't step up their game as the season goes on, then don't be surprised if an early draft pick is spent to try to upgrade the Guard position in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Agreed. Fisher is playing out of position and he's going to suffer from inexperience in this first year, but I still think he's better than Winston, Richardson, and O'Callaghan who played at RT before Fisher was drafted.

Allen and Asamoah are WAY overrated by many Chiefs fans & nobody should mistake either of them for Will Shields and neither are even close to the caliber of Shields. If those two don't step up their game as the season goes on, then don't be surprised if an early draft pick is spent to try to upgrade the Guard position in 2014.
    Will Shields was a MONSTER lineman...went to the AFC Championship game in his rookie year. You may be right - If next draft rolls around, and KC is in the bottom half (better record), It's unlikely we'll be able to get a monster wide reciever, game changing QB, LB, CB, or TE....So we'll be looking at the lines. And why not? Branden Albert will probably be gone, Fisher will probably get moved to LT, and we'll need to do some O-line shuffling.

I'd disagree about Allen, though. Allen is going into his second year, with his first being under the amazing coaching of Crennel & Daboll. Reid changes up his offense with several different formations. Daboll changed his offense by running around the bench in the opposite direction with the clipboard. There's a drop off.

O line's gotta do a better job. Smith was flattened at least 4 times sunday and he was our leading rusher.
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Will Shields was a MONSTER lineman...went to the AFC Championship game in his rookie year. You may be right - If next draft rolls around, and KC is in the bottom half (better record), It's unlikely we'll be able to get a monster wide reciever, game changing QB, LB, CB, or TE....So we'll be looking at the lines. And why not? Branden Albert will probably be gone, Fisher will probably get moved to LT, and we'll need to do some O-line shuffling.

I'd disagree about Allen, though. Allen is going into his second year, with his first being under the amazing coaching of Crennel & Daboll. Reid changes up his offense with several different formations. Daboll changed his offense by running around the bench in the opposite direction with the clipboard. There's a drop off.
    Maybe Allen will pick it up. We'll see. The thing is that Albert, Asamoah, and Schwartz have their contracts expire after this season and I don't know who's going to stay and who's going to go. I do know that Albert has turned down multiple offers from the Chiefs, so I believe you are right about him moving on & I'd prefer to see Fisher go to his natural LT position in 2014, anyway.

As this season progresses, I hope the O-Line does a better job of picking up stunts & those ILB blitzes, as that's where most of the pressures and sacks are coming from.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12