Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Webnews: Alex Smith needs to protect himself a little better

Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 30

Post Webnews: Alex Smith needs to protect himself a little better

1 Not allowed!
    By Mike Florio
    With all the concern regarding the ability of Andy Reid’s former quarterback in Philly putting himself in harm’s way, red flags should be hoisted regarding a sudden reckless streak from Reid’s current quarterback in Kansas City. Smith, who lost his starting job in San Francisco after a concussion opened the door for Colin Kaepernick, repeatedly… Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 61

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    Yeah just what IS THAT about? Is this a new concept? Somebody explain that to me. While you're all at it, what is that thing when our QB kneels down at the end of the game?!!!... STRANGE!
    Sometimes I'll see the QB throw the ball straight down at the ground! I don't get that at all.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    MatthewsChiefs can't stand MatthewsChiefs

Thumbs Up
    Received: 656
    Given: 814

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    On paper I really thought we had enough talent across the line to be at least "half as good as during the Dick Vermeil days." Color me let down so far. :(

I don't know who's to blame here. Are our O-linemen overrated? Is the new system to blame? Is it Chung? It's somewhat perplexing. Whatever it is I hope it gets fixed SOON or this will prove to be a colored balloon season that can burst on us.
    I'm believing that the main problem with this O-Line is lack of experience in Andy Reid's style of Offense. None of the current O-Lineman have ever played in it before, until this year, so they are all struggling & it's not surprising that Fisher has had his struggles, as well. Here's to hoping for improvement as the season goes on.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 22

0 Not allowed!
    If you're looking to put most of the blame on the O-line, I would instead look at Alex himself. In 2011 Alex took 44 sacks behind a 49ers O-line that most would call one of the best in the league. That number is the 4th most by any QB in the last 2 years. He holds onto the ball entirely too long. The flipside of that though is that he doesn't force throws, as evidenced by 0 INTs.

The O-line has had their share of gaffes, but Alex has plenty of time to throw most of the time. There were a few times yesterday where Fisher was beat at the point of attack or the Eagles got pressure on some well designed zone blitzes, but for the most part, Alex has plenty of time to throw.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    If you're looking to put most of the blame on the O-line, I would instead look at Alex himself. In 2011 Alex took 44 sacks behind a 49ers O-line that most would call one of the best in the league. That number is the 4th most by any QB in the last 2 years. He holds onto the ball entirely too long. The flipside of that though is that he doesn't force throws, as evidenced by 0 INTs.

The O-line has had their share of gaffes, but Alex has plenty of time to throw most of the time. There were a few times yesterday where Fisher was beat at the point of attack or the Eagles got pressure on some well designed zone blitzes, but for the most part, Alex has plenty of time to throw.
    You forgot to mention also about Albert literally getting ran over. And the 49ers O-Line is NOT one of the better units in the league at protecting the passer -- at least not in 2011.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    You forgot to mention also about Albert literally getting ran over. And the 49ers O-Line is NOT one of the better units in the league at protecting the passer -- at least not in 2011.
    Albert gave up a sack to Graham on an inside move where Alex stepped up in the pocket at the same time. He shouldn't have been beat inside on that play, but it happens. Other than that he held up very well, but it wasn't his best game. Go back and watch the tape on Charles' long run to the goal line late in the 4th quarter and check out the block Albert has to give him a huge hole to run though.

I was very impressed with his play against DeMarcus Ware, who is one of the league's best pass rusher, last week.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 09-20-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Albert gave up a sack to Graham on an inside move where Alex stepped up in the pocket at the same time. He shouldn't have been beat inside on that play, but it happens. Other than that he held up very well, but it wasn't his best game.

I was very impressed with his play against DeMarcus Ware, who is one of the league's best pass rusher, last week.
    Albert did OK against Dallas, but Ware doesn't look the same in Dallas new 4-3 scheme & most likely, Albert won't be coming back to the Chiefs in 2014 and Fisher will take over the LT position.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Albert did OK against Dallas, but Ware doesn't look the same in Dallas new 4-3 scheme & most likely, Albert won't be coming back to the Chiefs in 2014 and Fisher will take over the LT position.
    Yeah who knows what they'll do with Albert. I think there is still a scenario where they keep him. We shall see.

And that Charles run was at the beginning of the 4Q, not the end. Sorry, I had to watch late last night and was up the rest of the night taking care of a newborn. Pretty groggy haha.

Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah who knows what they'll do with Albert. I think there is still a scenario where they keep him. We shall see.

And that Charles run was at the beginning of the 4Q, not the end. Sorry, I had to watch late last night and was up the rest of the night taking care of a newborn. Pretty groggy haha.
    I think we'll agree that the play calling & offensive scheme is the main culprit for the O-Line struggles & none of the current O-Lineman have ANY experience in it.

And I'm sure we'll agree Berry is playing his best football thus far, this year.

Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!
    I think we'll agree that the play calling & offensive scheme is the main culprit for the O-Line struggles & none of the current O-Lineman have ANY experience in it.

And I'm sure we'll agree Berry is playing his best football thus far, this year.
    How could I forget Berry!?!? He's probably one of the best safeties in run support, and his coverage this year is 10x better than it has ever been. He took Witten out of the game in week 2, and should have had an INT if not for that soft Pass Interference call.

So much of this is a better scheme. Players actually have chances to make plays in Sutton's D. Romeo's game plan was so conservative. I mean, just look at the sack numbers (14 in 3 games vs 27 last year).

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    How could I forget Berry!?!? He's probably one of the best safeties in run support, and his coverage this year is 10x better than it has ever been. He took Witten out of the game in week 2, and should have had an INT if not for that soft Pass Interference call.

So much of this is a better scheme. Players actually have chances to make plays in Sutton's D. Romeo's game plan was so conservative. I mean, just look at the sack numbers (14 in 3 games vs 27 last year).
    Agreed. Berry got screwed on that PI call in that Dallas game. It was a bogus call.

BTW, I just watched the Philly game via NFL Game Rewind & it looks like I was right. The play-calling was most often the problem for the O-Line, except for a couple of plays. And Fisher played well in the 2nd half and that holding call was very questionable & they ended up overcoming it and getting a first down, anyway.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 09-21-2013 at 01:41 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast