Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Game 3 thoughts

Default Game 3 thoughts

The Good

On Offense Alex Smith,Donnie Avery,Jamal Charles
    Donnie Avery player of the game for sure

Defense created turnovers that won the game. And did a fairly good job against the Eagles High speed offense. Justin Houston is clearly in the running for AFC defensive player of the year through 3 weeks

The bad

Offense O LINE O LINE O LINE it's becoming a theme. Fisher played like a rookie and HAS to learn from it going forward. Bowe 1 catch From our number 1 WR not going to get the job done.

Defense a few big plays given up Mccoy tourched them on a number of plays they have to clean that up

Overall this is one the Chiefs were lucky to be in position to win late but they did go out and FINISH the job on offense late in that game. 3-0 Bring on the Giants
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    Maybe the QB made some of those WR better instead of the other way around not arguing just saying is all.
    That's very true. But that's something that goes both ways at times. The Qbs make the Wrs look good sometimes the other way around. Peyton Manning for example I watched for years Harrison and Wayne bail him out on some really poor throws. And Those two wouldn't be the players they are today without Manning. That's the whole Team thing. No QB ever does it alone. And just as the QB need the wr the Wrs need the QB.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I also heard Lenny mention it more than once this season. What he said is something to the effect of "when the receivers see the QB in trouble to forget the pattern they are running and get to an open spot" and the Chiefs receivers need to work on doing that.
    This
    Saw a couple plays where Alex was scrambling and Bowe trotting about
    half speed like "Oh well, I'm covered" not really putting much effort to help Alex out.
    That dude should be hard to cover for as long as Alex was holding it and creating time. Hopefully
    they do a lot of work on that this week.

YUP!!! When the QB is in trouble is when the receivers need to redouble their effort. A QB who is scrambling around doing pump fakes is trying to "buy time" for a receiver to get open.

Im sure reid will go after a wr in the offseason either FA pr draft. Bowe would be a great #2 wr. Mccluster is not tall enough to play wr and I never liked him cuz hes to easy to tackle and is so overhyped by coaches saying he can be a weapon but he hasnt done nothing since hes been in the nfl. I dont like him on returns either. Hes to risky. He should call for fair catches more often cuz hes cutting it close with defenders with one step away from him. Im thinking we might regret giving bowe the big contract. Though if we get a # 1 wr id like bowe at #2'

I dunno if Bowe's lack of production is part of AR's scheme, but I do know he is not doing a whole lot to earn what he is being paid. That said, maybe he is the world's most expensive decoy. If the passing game breaks loose and everybody is all over Bowe but our other receivers are getting the job done I'm cool with that. Equally so if Bowe starts producing. I'm willing to take a "wait and see" attitude on Bowe for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Im sure reid will go after a wr in the offseason either FA pr draft. Bowe would be a great #2 wr. Mccluster is not tall enough to play wr and I never liked him cuz hes to easy to tackle and is so overhyped by coaches saying he can be a weapon but he hasnt done nothing since hes been in the nfl. I dont like him on returns either. Hes to risky. He should call for fair catches more often cuz hes cutting it close with defenders with one step away from him. Im thinking we might regret giving bowe the big contract. Though if we get a # 1 wr id like bowe at #2'
    Mccluster needs the ball in space. With his size you're right he's not going to be breaking many tackles. His best use has been out of the backfield if they could give him 4 to 5 carries out of the backfield a game and spare Charles from getting 20 carries along with the times he gets the ball out of the passing game which has gone up with Reid I think that would be his best use. If they would use him at Wr they need to use him to get some quick screen passes. If he gets the ball in space he can be elusive.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I dunno if Bowe's lack of production is part of AR's scheme, but I do know he is not doing a whole lot to earn what he is being paid. That said, maybe he is the world's most expensive decoy. If the passing game breaks loose and everybody is all over Bowe but our other receivers are getting the job done I'm cool with that. Equally so if Bowe starts producing. I'm willing to take a "wait and see" attitude on Bowe for a while.
    The thing with Bowe is he has a history of taking games off. Hes been quiet in alot of big spots. I really get frustrated with him at times. He has talent to be one of the top WRs in the game there's just something about him which is holding him back. And that's he allows himself to be held down and against some pretty poor ds at times. Like Tampa last year ranked 30th in passing defense at the time we played them and he had a pretty quiet game Most frustrating player on the team IMO
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Agreed about Bowe, MC. I'm surprised that he hasn't drawn the wrath of Reid in the middle of a game. We really need him to step it up.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    The thing with Bowe is he has a history of taking games off. Hes been quiet in alot of big spots. I really get frustrated with him at times. He has talent to be one of the top WRs in the game there's just something about him which is holding him back. And that's he allows himself to be held down and against some pretty poor ds at times. Like Tampa last year ranked 30th in passing defense at the time we played them and he had a pretty quiet game Most frustrating player on the team IMO
    Yeah....that would be Bowe. But I am cool with him not getting big numbers and big yards if he is in double coverage all day and the other receivers are open. He would be a VERY EXPENSIVE decoy, but if his being doubled is getting others open then I am OK with that. Remains to be seen if that is what is going on.

Remains to be seen but once we are trailing in a game I think we get Bowe more involved. Reid said it himself that the bigger throws are coming when we need them

I don't think we should expect too much from the offense right now. That side of the ball is still trying to figure out their identity. Brand new offense, coach, OC, QB, players, etc... I'm not going to panic about the offense until I see what they're doing after the bye week. It usually takes a new system like this at least half the season to kind of gel together and create that identitiy. This staff has some pretty incredible minds working on it.

The Chiefs are going to lean on this defense for the first half of the season. Things are going to get interesting coming off that bye week. The Chiefs schedule is backloaded with the better teams they'll play this season, which is what you would want. NYG, TN, OAK, HOU, CLE, and BUF are the teams left to play before that bye week. I don't see one of those teams where I can say without a doubt that the Chiefs will lose. I'm pretty sure they'll lose a couple, I just don't know which. But if I told you the Chiefs would be 7-2 heading into the bye, I don't think anyone on this board would've turned that down at the beginning of the year.

A 7-2 record with 7 games to play bodes rather well for the Chiefs' chances at the playoffs. Also, we should take into account that Andy Reid is 13-1 coming off a bye. What kind of message would that send the league if the Chiefs went into Milehigh and took down the league darlings? Home for the Chargers and Broncos again, then off to WSH and OAK. Two home games (albeit definitely not gimme games) at a chilly Arrowhead could seal things for the Chiefs and the playoffs.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the Chiefs keep things conservative while they still can against these first 9 opponents. Don't give those good teams anything to prepare for and then knock them out coming off the bye week.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast