Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Alex Smith....Has to be done...game 3...what do you think?

Default Alex Smith....Has to be done...game 3...what do you think?

Been a lot of talk about Alex Smith here on Chiefscrowd since we traded for him.

Some say we paid WAAAY too much for him.

Some say he is Matt Cassel 1.2

Some say he is a "good game manager".

But I think it is only right that until we finally reach a consensus about him that we disect his play in every game until we reach an overwhelming conclusion.

So here are my thoughts.......

22-35. 63%

Net passing yards........248

Yards per attempt..........7.08

Yards per completion.........11.27

Interceptions....................ZERO

Sacked........................5 times for a loss of 25 yards

Them's the numbers. Here's what I think.......

Alex Smith is a good QB. Give him a great team and you will go a long way.

He is no star. He's just a decent+ or maybe decent++ quarterback. He won't win you a whole lot of games on his own but he won't lose you any games.

Lots of quarterbacks like that in the NFL.

Here's what makes Alex Smith a little different from so many other "decent+" quarterbacks......

Alex Smith is a "clutch" quarterback. He can have a lousy game and get chased all over the field, but after throwing no INTs, he will put together one clutch drive when it really counts. He'll lock the lead away or maybe even GOD FORBID get you that go ahead score.

I LIKE Alex Smith.

I don't think he is going to win us a SuperBowl, but I think he is going to be an important part of making our Chiefs respectable again...and maybe get us a playoff win or two.

From there it is up to Reid and Dorsey.

So what does everybody else think????

Quote Originally Posted by azchiefsfan View Post
    Aaron Rogers is as good a QB as there is in the league today. Yet he struggles behind a poor offensive line. Far too many folks here have tunnel vision in regard to the QB position. Smith is a very good QB, no qualifiers needed. We have a sub-par running game and terrible protection. Will Smith be Cassell II? Maybe, but like Cassel, he is a victim of a terrible line and NOT what is wrong with our offense. Don't tell me how great Charles was. He isn't THAT Jamaal anymore-probably never will be again either. Smith is the reason our offense is playing well enough to win. If he gets banged up like Cassel did, he will be Cassel II. p.s. Cassel was a decent QB with very little to work with. Same ol' same ol'. But we are winning and I am holding my breath that we can still keep our heads above water, because our offensive line and run game can't even tread water at this point. But we are a better team this year and that's a fact.
    Agreed on many points. I'd also argue that Cassel was the victim of poor coaching, as well. Cassel was far from great but things would've been a whole lot easier if the guy didn't have to wait and see who popped out of the Pioli clown car next, in order to meet his new OC.

On JC I'd disagree because during the Philly game JC was breaking tackles that would've taken down a lot of other running backs. I think the thing that's holding JC back this year is a combination of just not getting his number called, along with getting adjusted to all the different formations that Reid has going on.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    the Chiefs need to be very wary of the Giants & view this game as a potential "trap game". The Giants, to me, represent a sleeping giant ( pun intended ) that could awaken at any time and historically, the Giants have shown only their best when playing against the Chiefs. The Chiefs cannot afford to squander opportunities like they did against Philly because they are liable to find out the hard way that the Giants may not be so forgiving.

And Alex Smith is certainly aware of what's happened the last two times he's faced the Giants.

Hopefully, Andy Reid will be the difference this time & will erase history and the Chiefs come away with a win.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Next weekend against the Giants has me a little worried though. They are 0-3 and I don't see them as an 0-3 team. They are going to break this losing streak.....it's only a matter of when. With every loss, the mathematical odds that the next weekend is going to be the weekend they break out of their slump increases. I'd hate for them to be playing our Chiefs the week that the math comes calling. Makes me especially glad we are playing them after a "mini bye week" and at Arrowhead.
    The Giants have me concerned as well. Not so much for our defense, where the D-line and linebackers are consistently playing well, but I'd like to see our offense put together more first downs, keep Eli on the sidelines and don't give him the chance to air it out. They are beatable, but they're also a lot better team than what was seen during the Panthers game.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I just saw an interview with Andy Reid and he made it clear to the media that you cannot get caught up in what has happened with the Giants thus far and did mention something to the effect of "any given Sunday" -- smart thinking, there.
    Coach Reid said that? I'm surprised!

Just kidding. Every coach says that about every team they play. When's the last you heard a coach say "I'm not worried about ______. They aren't very good. There's no way they will beat us on our home field."

It's just good strategy. First, you don't want to give your opponent bulletin board material. When Bears coach Marc Trestman talked about the 0-3 Vikings he spoke of Adrian Peterson and what a good defense they have with Jarred Allen. With the 0-3 Steelers, he talked about Big Ben being an elite Quarterback and how their stout defense had only given up 3 TDs in their first 2 games.

Second, this is the NFL and any team really CAN beat any other team. Any time your players believe they can't, they will probably lose. Overconfidence is usually they biggest factor in most upsets. To beat the teams you should beat everyone has to give 100% every game.

Now, having said all that, I agree with Reid completely. I think the Giants are much better than their record indicates and this is the perfect "trap game" for the Chiefs. But truthfully, they have given up 115 points in just 3 games and were shut out by the Panthers. They have also turned over the ball 13 times. If the Chiefs lose it won't be because they got beat by a better team. It will be because they weren't prepared, or underestimated their opponent.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    ..... When's the last you heard a coach say "I'm not worried about ______. They aren't very good. There's no way they will beat us on our home field."

It's just good strategy. First, you don't want to give your opponent bulletin board material........
    I've never heard of a coach doing that, BUT I have heard of a team's owner doing it. George Preston Marshall was the owner of the Redskins in 1940 and after his Redskins beat the Bears in Chicago 7-3, Marshall had spoken publicly that "the Bears were a bunch of quitters & folded when the going got tough" and it just so happened the two teams met again for the 1940 NFL Championship in Washington.

Before the title game, Bears coach and founder George Halas handed press clippings of Marshall's remarks to his players and said "Gentlemen, this is what George Preston Marshall thinks of you. Well, I think you are a great football team. Go out there and prove it". They did.

The Bears totally annihilated the Redskins 73-0 in the 1940 NFL Championship game & it remains to this day the biggest blowout in NFL history.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Second, this is the NFL and any team really CAN beat any other team. Any time your players believe they can't, they will probably lose. Overconfidence is usually they biggest factor in most upsets. To beat the teams you should beat everyone has to give 100% every game.

Now, having said all that, I agree with Reid completely. I think the Giants are much better than their record indicates and this is the perfect "trap game" for the Chiefs. But truthfully, they have given up 115 points in just 3 games and were shut out by the Panthers. They have also turned over the ball 13 times. If the Chiefs lose it won't be because they got beat by a better team. It will be because they weren't prepared, or underestimated their opponent.
    Precisely why I've been telling other Chiefs fans to show the Giants nothing but the utmost respect, as I've seen this scenario before where the Giants played like scrubs for several weeks in succession, then suddenly look like Supermen when they played the Chiefs.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 09-23-2013 at 10:01 PM.

I hate playing win-less teams.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456