Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith....Has to be done...game 3...what do you think?

Default Alex Smith....Has to be done...game 3...what do you think?

Been a lot of talk about Alex Smith here on Chiefscrowd since we traded for him.

Some say we paid WAAAY too much for him.

Some say he is Matt Cassel 1.2

Some say he is a "good game manager".

But I think it is only right that until we finally reach a consensus about him that we disect his play in every game until we reach an overwhelming conclusion.

So here are my thoughts.......

22-35. 63%

Net passing yards........248

Yards per attempt..........7.08

Yards per completion.........11.27

Interceptions....................ZERO

Sacked........................5 times for a loss of 25 yards

Them's the numbers. Here's what I think.......

Alex Smith is a good QB. Give him a great team and you will go a long way.

He is no star. He's just a decent+ or maybe decent++ quarterback. He won't win you a whole lot of games on his own but he won't lose you any games.

Lots of quarterbacks like that in the NFL.

Here's what makes Alex Smith a little different from so many other "decent+" quarterbacks......

Alex Smith is a "clutch" quarterback. He can have a lousy game and get chased all over the field, but after throwing no INTs, he will put together one clutch drive when it really counts. He'll lock the lead away or maybe even GOD FORBID get you that go ahead score.

I LIKE Alex Smith.

I don't think he is going to win us a SuperBowl, but I think he is going to be an important part of making our Chiefs respectable again...and maybe get us a playoff win or two.

From there it is up to Reid and Dorsey.

So what does everybody else think????

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Chiefy View Post
    I don't think anything that's what wrong is nearly Smiths Falls we have no offense of line I think the coaches are free to call certain place I think he would absolutely do better with a different office of coordinator
    i have the same problem. my cure

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I know....it's hard not to get excited about this team. What is so strange is that it is old fashioned football. Like back in the day when they used to say "Defense wins championships". Here we are in an NFL that thinks offense is everything yet we are winning games with defense. Maybe the "worm is turning" and we are at the forefront of a new/old movement in the NFL.....
    I was around back in the day when defenses won championships, and remember fondly our team of 1969/70. Oh what a defense we had. And the offense was similar in many ways to ours presently in that we didn't light up the scoreboard routinely, but had serious talent at skill positions, Taylor = Bowe, Garrett = Charles. The difference is we had an All-Pro O-Line (Budde, Tyrer, etc) protecting a Hall of Fame quarterback (Dawson). I want to believe that Alex Smith will lead us to the Hallowed Ground ... Oh how I want to believe... but...

PERFECT POST.....just leave out the "but"......Not this year I don't think, but I think maybe....just possibly.....we're getting close.

Quote Originally Posted by NJChiefs View Post
    I was around back in the day when defenses won championships, and remember fondly our team of 1969/70. Oh what a defense we had. And the offense was similar in many ways to ours presently in that we didn't light up the scoreboard routinely, but had serious talent at skill positions, Taylor = Bowe, Garrett = Charles. The difference is we had an All-Pro O-Line (Budde, Tyrer, etc) protecting a Hall of Fame quarterback (Dawson). I want to believe that Alex Smith will lead us to the Hallowed Ground ... Oh how I want to believe... but...
    unfortunately Stram didn't like rooks and traded em for experience. but the experience retired and we had nothing. I remember on sundays Arrowhead was a tomb.
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

All I got to say regarding this matter is that I believe Alex Smith and Andy Reid both deserve to have a Lombardi trophy to hoist.

Whether or not that happens remains to be seen. If it does happen, then I want it to be earned outright -- unlike the '97 and '98 Donkeys who had it given to them by the league office as a going away present to Elway because he wasn't good enough to win one outright.

It's all new. They need to play together for several more games, and hopefully avoid key injuries. All 3 original TE's were out of the Philly game and we won. Flowers with a knee injury and their best receiver still didn't slice us up. This team is building something special. may be a little longer than we want, but they are building.

As long as we keep going forward and improving is the biggest thing. No steps back. If we can do that and win at the same time then super but when we lose if we didnt take a step back and we made progress then I can live with that. Just cant stand to lose by being sloppy.

Overall, the team is a work in progress, as was expected. The progress has gone well, but there's room for improvement, as well. If that improvement does happen, then the Chiefs have a chance to get to the post-season.

Alex Smith has been GOOD very good for this team. Can he get better? Yes. There are things he needs to work on. But he is the least of the problems on offense right now. The biggest is figuring out why the O line has not given him time as much as they have without him getting time for himself by RUNNING FOR HIS LIFE. Some of that is on Fisher. He's a rookie and it's showing. But there has been pressure Way to quick from all areas of the line at times. And They also have to figure out why the Number 1 WR is getting out done on the field by the 3RD STRING Te.

What Smith has to work on is cutting out some of the bad throws that he has made at times. He's very lucky he didn't throw a couple of picks in the last couple of weeks. That's the biggest issue he has to get fixed quick the defenders at some point are going to stop dropping those. His luck will run out. The good news on all fronts here is that they have a mini bye week to get these fixed before the next game
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by drstandley31 View Post
    This team is building something special. may be a little longer than we want, but they are building.
    Exactly so!!!! Back during the summer and pre-season many of us said it would take a while for a new coach, new QB, lots of new players, new scheme to gel. And I'm really surprised at how well we have done so far. But like Andy Reid said....."I can't begin to tell you what a long way we have to go" (paraphrase not exact quote). We're 3-0 and our coach doesn't think we are playing anywhere near as good as we can and will. That's a very good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Overall, the team is a work in progress, as was expected. The progress has gone well, but there's room for improvement, as well. If that improvement does happen, then the Chiefs have a chance to get to the post-season.
    Hit the nail on the head!!! It's cool being 3-0, but there are still 13 games ahead. And we do need to make a lot of improvements if we want to win somewhere between 7 and 10 of them. The progress is HUGELY encouraging and what is even better in my mind is that Reid say we still have a long way to go. Reid isn't saying "OH WOW! Look at what I've done!" Instead he is saying "OH SHI*!!! Look at all the work I still have to do!" That is the kind of attitude that wins championships!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewchiefs View Post
    Alex Smith has been GOOD very good for this team. Can he get better? Yes. There are things he needs to work on. But he is the least of the problems on offense right now. The biggest is figuring out why the O line has not given him time as much as they have without him getting time for himself by RUNNING FOR HIS LIFE. Some of that is on Fisher. He's a rookie and it's showing. But there has been pressure Way to quick from all areas of the line at times. And They also have to figure out why the Number 1 WR is getting out done on the field by the 3RD STRING Te.

What Smith has to work on is cutting out some of the bad throws that he has made at times. He's very lucky he didn't throw a couple of picks in the last couple of weeks. That's the biggest issue he has to get fixed quick the defenders at some point are going to stop dropping those. His luck will run out. The good news on all fronts here is that they have a mini bye week to get these fixed before the next game
    Another most excellent post! We are doing GREAT for where we are as a team. But like Reid said, we have a long way to go before we are playing up to our potential. What is a little scary id what we could do if we start playing up to the level that Reid thinks we can get to this season. If we can get there, then challenging the Donks for the Division is a real possibility. And if we do that, we'll have paid 2 second round picks for our QB instead of $100 million.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast