Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith....Has to be done...game 3...what do you think?

Default Alex Smith....Has to be done...game 3...what do you think?

Been a lot of talk about Alex Smith here on Chiefscrowd since we traded for him.

Some say we paid WAAAY too much for him.

Some say he is Matt Cassel 1.2

Some say he is a "good game manager".

But I think it is only right that until we finally reach a consensus about him that we disect his play in every game until we reach an overwhelming conclusion.

So here are my thoughts.......

22-35. 63%

Net passing yards........248

Yards per attempt..........7.08

Yards per completion.........11.27

Interceptions....................ZERO

Sacked........................5 times for a loss of 25 yards

Them's the numbers. Here's what I think.......

Alex Smith is a good QB. Give him a great team and you will go a long way.

He is no star. He's just a decent+ or maybe decent++ quarterback. He won't win you a whole lot of games on his own but he won't lose you any games.

Lots of quarterbacks like that in the NFL.

Here's what makes Alex Smith a little different from so many other "decent+" quarterbacks......

Alex Smith is a "clutch" quarterback. He can have a lousy game and get chased all over the field, but after throwing no INTs, he will put together one clutch drive when it really counts. He'll lock the lead away or maybe even GOD FORBID get you that go ahead score.

I LIKE Alex Smith.

I don't think he is going to win us a SuperBowl, but I think he is going to be an important part of making our Chiefs respectable again...and maybe get us a playoff win or two.

From there it is up to Reid and Dorsey.

So what does everybody else think????

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post

Hit the nail on the head!!! It's cool being 3-0, but there are still 13 games ahead. And we do need to make a lot of improvements if we want to win somewhere between 7 and 10 of them. The progress is HUGELY encouraging and what is even better in my mind is that Reid say we still have a long way to go. Reid isn't saying "OH WOW! Look at what I've done!" Instead he is saying "OH SHI*!!! Look at all the work I still have to do!" That is the kind of attitude that wins championships!
    Goes back to what I said in another thread some time ago. You have to have the aspiration to want to win a championship to begin with or you'll never get there. The Pioli regime didn't have that aspiration, at least not evidenced by some of the decisions that he made & the way he ran the front office. So glad that Clark Hunt moved swiftly to make the changes that he did after the 2012 disaster, as everybody and their brother knew they were badly needed.

YUP! I don't give enough credit to Clark Hunt for what he did. He showed a real commitment to fixing what was wrong. As I see it, Clark got his claws in Reid and said "I don't care what you have to do....just build me a championship team". What more can a fan ask from an owner????

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    YUP! I don't give enough credit to Clark Hunt for what he did. He showed a real commitment to fixing what was wrong. As I see it, Clark got his claws in Reid and said "I don't care what you have to do....just build me a championship team". What more can a fan ask from an owner????
    I agree

There was A time when Herm and Carl were well wrecking the team that I thought Clark Hunt didn't care anything about winning and losing. But at that time he was just getting his feet wet he had not been the guy in charge very long so I guess I should cut him some slack and give him time to adjust into the role as the head guy of the franchise. And boy has he ever. I've been very impressed with him since the end of last year. The statement he put out how he was Not going to accept what we saw happen in KC last year then going out and MAKING Andy Reid WANT to come to a 2-14 team and he had other options. Clark Hunt can't get enough praise for the job he did this past offseason. I hope we see more of that going forward
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

YUP! Crazy as it sounds, it seems to me that for a while Andy Reid was actually our GM. Clark grabbed Reid and said "just tell me who and what we need to win again". From that sprang Dorsey and all the new coaching staff. And from that our draft choices and free agent pickups. Or anyway that is the way it appears to me. Lamar would be proud of his son. And Chiefs fans should be proud of him to. He done good. He saved a proud team and fan base from the hell that Jags fans face.

GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over "The winningest QB since the start of 2011."

Yeah... THAT guy... he's 3-0 as a Chief.

The End.

So sad....The guy that needs to be reading this is MIA.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over "The winningest QB since the start of 2011."

Yeah... THAT guy... he's 3-0 as a Chief.

The End.
    Yeah, that guy. Whom, I had told people before to give the same chance to that they would to a QB being drafted #1 overall. Whom, I told people that I did not give a damn what happened with him in SF, because it's what happens with him in KC that counts. Whom, is making many Chiefs fans realize that a QB in professional football is paid to WIN, not put up fantasy football numbers.

And while we are on the subject of Clark making the moves that he did last off-season, we also need to send out a big thank you to Dick Vermeil for telling Andy Reid to jump all over the chance t become the Chiefs HC, in addition to Vermeil's 5 years of service as HC ( and that prolific Offense that he put together ).

Good point brdempsey! DV did us a good turn encouraging Reid to come here. A lot of established coaches wouldn't have wanted to come here after last years debacle.

Let's look at what's transpiring with Alex Smith's former team. They look like a team that could be in trouble, as opponents have figured out how to defend CK and the pistol Offense ( Indy stopped them cold ) & many 49er fans had posted around the web that the 49ers Defense seemed to suffer from the change from Alex to CK.

I had said before that the Niners getting rid of Alex Smith could potentially backfire on them & the Niners last two drafts do not seem to have yielded a whole lot in spite of the number of picks that they have had.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast