Thread: Webnews: With Jeff Allen hurting, Chiefs promote a guard from pra

Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 30

Post Webnews: With Jeff Allen hurting, Chiefs promote a guard from pra

0 Not allowed!
    By Josh Alper
    The Chiefs may not have left guard Jeff Allen in the lineup for Sunday’s matchup with the Giants, so they promoted another guard from the practice squad to assure they’ll have enough healthy bodies at the position come kickoff. The team has elevated guard Rishaw Johnson to the 53-man roster. Johnson signed with the Seahawks… Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!
    Does anybody remember if Jeff Allen played guard or Tackle in college? I think it was Tackle. Am I right? His play as guard has been somewhat disappointing, IMO.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 654
    Given: 813

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    Does anybody remember if Jeff Allen played guard or Tackle in college? I think it was Tackle. Am I right? His play as guard has been somewhat disappointing, IMO.
    Allen was a 4-yr Tackle at Illinois. You are right. Guard has been a struggle for him.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 253
    Given: 447

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Allen was a 4-yr Tackle at Illinois. You are right. Guard has been a struggle for him.
    Which, to me, is strange. Isn't Guard less demanding than Tackle? Maybe I'm just talking out of my shorts here.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 149

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Which, to me, is strange. Isn't Guard less demanding than Tackle? Maybe I'm just talking out of my shorts here.
    Yes and no. Tackle generally requires more quickness, better reaction time, and finesse in technique because you have to be able to handle speed rushers, bull rushers, and seal the edge on runs. Guard generally requires more strength and ability to read the DT/NT to know who/where pressure is coming. It is often considered "easier" because there is less technique to learn, but it requires more fundamental strength blocking.

I believe zone blocking doesn't require interior linemen to be as strong, but focuses more on quickness, and would tend to suit someone who wasn't quite fast enough to be a LT. I'm not sure what kind of system we run now, and I haven't seen any games so I don't know what Allen's problem has been.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 654
    Given: 813

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Yes and no. Tackle generally requires more quickness, better reaction time, and finesse in technique because you have to be able to handle speed rushers, bull rushers, and seal the edge on runs. Guard generally requires more strength and ability to read the DT/NT to know who/where pressure is coming. It is often considered "easier" because there is less technique to learn, but it requires more fundamental strength blocking.

I believe zone blocking doesn't require interior linemen to be as strong, but focuses more on quickness, and would tend to suit someone who wasn't quite fast enough to be a LT. I'm not sure what kind of system we run now, and I haven't seen any games so I don't know what Allen's problem has been.
    You should create an account at NFL.com and purchase NFL Game Rewind -- it's worth it.

Allen's problem is he's often getting overpowered at the point of attack & he struggles picking up stunts.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 4

0 Not allowed!
    I was an offensive lineman who played Guard, Tackle and then Center. At tackle you do get help from the TE, but most of the time required a agility to move side to side to cover the speed rush to the outside as there is no help and nothing but room rom for the Defense to work with, while playing on the inside required more leverage to get low and push back a bull rush because they basically were coming straight at you with no room to go around. However, I was moved to guard later on because I was more agile and asked to pulled on almost every play and getting off that line to pull behind the rest of the line to beat the running back to a soon to be hole was probably the most difficult making the block going full speed was easy however, a slight second slow and the defense is squirting by for a loss.

Pulling as a center really sucked specially with a Nose tackle lined up in front of you.