Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Game 4.....How is OUR Smith doing?

Default Game 4.....How is OUR Smith doing?

Been a lot of talk about Alex Smith here on Chiefscrowd since we traded for him.

Some say we paid WAAAY too much for him.

Some say he is Matt Cassel 1.2

Some say he is a "good game manager".

But I think it is only right that until we finally reach a consensus about him that we disect his play in every game until we reach an overwhelming conclusion.

So here are my thoughts after game 4.......

24-41. 58.54%

Net passing yards........288

Yards per attempt..........7.02

Yards per completion.........12

Interceptions....................2....(One was a fluke bounce off DB's foot).

Sacked........................1......0 yards lost.

Touchdowns...................3

Cumulative for the season.......

88-146. 60.3%

Net passing yards........957

Yards per attempt..........6.55

Yards per completion.........10.87

Interceptions....................2....(One was a fluke bounce off DB's foot).

Sacked........................11......51 yards lost.

Touchdowns...................7

Them's the numbers. Here's what I think.......

Alex Smith is a good QB. Give him a great team and you will go a long way. And he had an exceptional day today. I mean really....41 passes and he only got sacked once? That's GREAT! Yes, he had 2 INTs, but one of them was in no way his fault. Just a fluke series of bounces.

And yet again he was a true CLUTCH quarterback. When the game was on the line, yet again he put together a long, time consuming drive plus another 5 minute drive to lock the game up.

He may not be a star. Maybe he is or can be. Time will tell. But IMO today was his best performance ever as a Chief. He threw mostly short but also got some important completions downfield. Maybe he won't win you a whole lot of games on his own but he won't lose you any games. And I am no longer convinced he can't win games on his own. All he seems to need is 1 receiver with a hot hand and he just gets us ahead and puts the game away when it needs doing. That is starting to smell a lot like a GREAT quarterback

So what does everybody else think????

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Alex Smith is everything the Chiefs needed. He's careful with the ball he makes good throws and when things are not going well and he is getting rushed on every drop back he doesn't panic and try to throw the ball somewhere he shouldn't. He is just what the doctor ordered. That's why I was so against drafting a QB in a weak QB class. Rookie QB for the most part do one thing Turn the ball over. This wasn't a team that needed a full rebuild. It needed a actual coaching staff and a good solid QB. That's what they went out and got. And they are winning because of it.
    Wish I could have given you 5 thumbs up for that one!

We'd have a hell of a shot if Tony G. came to help. When's the trade deadline?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    We'd have a hell of a shot if Tony G. came to help. When's the trade deadline?
    Dunno about the trade deadline, but I suspect we don't have the kind of cap space we would need to get him even if Atlanta was willing to deal.

A fun fantasy though.......

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Dunno about the trade deadline, but I suspect we don't have the kind of cap space we would need to get him even if Atlanta was willing to deal.

A fun fantasy though.......
    We don't have the cap space to pay him unless we get rid of someone really good. I can't think of a deal that the Falcons would go for. Who would you trade for him? Jamaal Charles? They need help on defense. Would you trade Hali or Flowers for Tony? That's what it would take. They might go for both Houston AND Poe, but that still wouldn't give us enough cap space.

I'd love to have him back, but he only has a year or two left and besides, we are winning without him. We are trying to build to be a powerhouse for the long haul. Our offense will continue to get better and even more so when we get Fasano and Kelce back. Next year, if we still see a need, we can address it in the draft or free agency. That makes more sense to me.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    We don't have the cap space to pay him unless we get rid of someone really good. I can't think of a deal that the Falcons would go for. Who would you trade for him? Jamaal Charles? They need help on defense. Would you trade Hali or Flowers for Tony? That's what it would take. They might go for both Houston AND Poe, but that still wouldn't give us enough cap space.

I'd love to have him back, but he only has a year or two left and besides, we are winning without him. We are trying to build to be a powerhouse for the long haul. Our offense will continue to get better and even more so when we get Fasano and Kelce back. Next year, if we still see a need, we can address it in the draft or free agency. That makes more sense to me.

Like we we did this year? Lol

^^ As much as I liked Tony G., the fact of the matter is that his time has passed. That chapter was closed in 2009 and it did not end well with Pioli using the draft pick we got for him on Arenas, who I did not think was any better than a 4th rounder.

Tony G. is never going to happen.

I just don't see Tony G. coming back. Too many other teams with more cap space would love to have him. With that being said I'll always remember him as a Chief.

Everybody is correct of course. TG won't be back. But thinking/talking about it is sort of like buying a Powerball ticket....you know you are not going to win, but it's still fun to dream.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    What a thought! I wonder if he would come back? He's not going to get that ring he wanted with Atlanta and I doubt he'd get it here this year, but maybe....just maybe......Sure would be nice to see him retire as a Chief....where he belongs.
    he will retire as a Chief
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast