Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Game 4.....How is OUR Smith doing?

Default Game 4.....How is OUR Smith doing?

Been a lot of talk about Alex Smith here on Chiefscrowd since we traded for him.

Some say we paid WAAAY too much for him.

Some say he is Matt Cassel 1.2

Some say he is a "good game manager".

But I think it is only right that until we finally reach a consensus about him that we disect his play in every game until we reach an overwhelming conclusion.

So here are my thoughts after game 4.......

24-41. 58.54%

Net passing yards........288

Yards per attempt..........7.02

Yards per completion.........12

Interceptions....................2....(One was a fluke bounce off DB's foot).

Sacked........................1......0 yards lost.

Touchdowns...................3

Cumulative for the season.......

88-146. 60.3%

Net passing yards........957

Yards per attempt..........6.55

Yards per completion.........10.87

Interceptions....................2....(One was a fluke bounce off DB's foot).

Sacked........................11......51 yards lost.

Touchdowns...................7

Them's the numbers. Here's what I think.......

Alex Smith is a good QB. Give him a great team and you will go a long way. And he had an exceptional day today. I mean really....41 passes and he only got sacked once? That's GREAT! Yes, he had 2 INTs, but one of them was in no way his fault. Just a fluke series of bounces.

And yet again he was a true CLUTCH quarterback. When the game was on the line, yet again he put together a long, time consuming drive plus another 5 minute drive to lock the game up.

He may not be a star. Maybe he is or can be. Time will tell. But IMO today was his best performance ever as a Chief. He threw mostly short but also got some important completions downfield. Maybe he won't win you a whole lot of games on his own but he won't lose you any games. And I am no longer convinced he can't win games on his own. All he seems to need is 1 receiver with a hot hand and he just gets us ahead and puts the game away when it needs doing. That is starting to smell a lot like a GREAT quarterback

So what does everybody else think????

22-6 as a starter since 2011 and 4-0 as a Chief. That's all I need to know. You win, I'm on board... you lose, I've got questions.

Neither int was his fault. Bowe quot on his route and was suppose to fight for inaide position amd alex thew it where bowe was suppose to be at. And the second one was a bad bounce. sometimes I think wr shoukd he credited for int's. But smith is plwying lights out. Even went down field today.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    22-6 as a starter since 2011 and 4-0 as a Chief. That's all I need to know. You win, I'm on board... you lose, I've got questions.
    ...THIS!

Makes very few mistakes and does not, for the most part, turn the ball over.

Alex Smith has been progressing ever since the start of the 2011 season and just seems to be getting better as time goes on. The cost of two 2nd round picks to get Alex seemed steep on the surface, but consider the Raiders trading a 1st and two 2nd rounders to get Carson Palmer, who only lasted 1 1/2 seasons in Oakland & it looks like getting Alex was dirt cheap by comparison. Plus, all they did was pick up Alex's current contract which goes through 2014 and it's very reasonable & Alex has beaten 3 QB's already this year that are getting paid more than he is.

Thus far, bringing in Alex Smith to be the Chiefs QB has proved to be the right move. And yes, he has carried the team when they've needed him to & has already made more clutch 3rd down plays than Cassel did in 4 years. He was much maligned because of circumstances which were not any fault of his.

I watched him play against the Chiefs at Arrowhead on Sept. 26, 2010 & reviewed that game many times via NFL Game Rewind and Alex Smith was not the reason the 49ers lost. He had no support from the rest of his team, but in spite of a hopeless situation, he never quit or got flustered.

The Chiefs were awful lucky to be able to acquire Alex Smith...........cut and dried.

Beginning to look like I don't need to do this thread every week any more! The question seems to have answered itself.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Neither int was his fault. Bowe quot on his route and was suppose to fight for inaide position amd alex thew it where bowe was suppose to be at. And the second one was a bad bounce. sometimes I think wr shoukd he credited for int's. But smith is plwying lights out. Even went down field today.
    I can't blame Bowe. I think that pass was just a bad pass. It was right on the money but the Corner had better position.

That being said, I saw a lot of balls hit receivers in the hands or chest and dropped. D. Avery dropped numerous passes that he should have caught. Charles dropped a few passes he should have held on to. It is not a coincidence that Sean McGrath became a facorite target. He caught everything thrown at him including the TD that Alex zipped in there pretty quickly. I think Alex is a very accurate QB and as this offense gels you will see him challenge the field more but for right now he is doing what he needs. Don't turn it over and take what is given.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I can't blame Bowe. I think that pass was just a bad pass. It was right on the money but the Corner had better position.

That being said, I saw a lot of balls hit receivers in the hands or chest and dropped. D. Avery dropped numerous passes that he should have caught. Charles dropped a few passes he should have held on to. It is not a coincidence that Sean McGrath became a facorite target. He caught everything thrown at him including the TD that Alex zipped in there pretty quickly. I think Alex is a very accurate QB and as this offense gels you will see him challenge the field more but for right now he is doing what he needs. Don't turn it over and take what is given.
    I think you have really hit the nail on the head. Before the season we all talked about how it would take a while for a new offense, new coach and new Quarterback to "gel" and I still think that is the case. IMO our offense is still very much a work in progress. Which I find very encouraging. If as Reid said last week "We still have a long way to go" then we could be looking at a real powerhouse team down the road.

looked good to me yesterday. maybe he's clickin' ???
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

They did a better job of converting 3rd down into 1st, as they were 9/16 yesterday. Hope they continue to improve in that area.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast