Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Titans/Jets and the Chiefs

Default Titans/Jets and the Chiefs

I have the ticket. I usually record the game of the Chiefs' next week's opponent. This week's game was obviously the Titans/Jets game. I couldn't wait to watch this game tonight (for obvious reasons).

Let me start off by saying that I acknowledge that I was wrong about Geno Smith. Geno is not a younger version of Alex Smith as I had argued earlier this spring based off career numbers... Geno is much worse than that. The Titans do NOT have much of a pass rush but Geno just could not make any good decisions and their O-line made the Titans look MUCH better than they actually are. 4 turnovers (almost 4 more) and sacked 5x (one sack SHOULD'VE been a safety after retreating 15 yards and another was turned into a strip 6). Again, the Titans are NOT a good pass rushing team.

No, Geno is not a younger version of Alex... he's some kind of hybrid of Vince Young, Matt Cassel, and Mark Sanchez. Geno finished the day with a 7.8 QBR and owns a 65 QBR (before today) on the season. The only 2 QBs worse than him this year no longer have a job (Freeman/Weeden). He holds the 2nd worst comp % (before today), wedged right between Freeman and Weeden. BUT his yards per attempt rank 9th in the league at 7.85 which, I guess means he's better than Tom Brady who sits worst in the league at 5.5... well, never mind because he also leads the league in INTs (8)... and that's also not including multiple fumbles.

It really is too bad that Tim Tebow isn't still around... at least Geno would have some competetion for worst player in the league.

"... and that's all I have to say about that" - Forrest Gump

Now, about the Titans. There is NOTHING about the Tennessee Titans that strikes fear in their opponent's heart. Locker wasn't all that great to begin with, but now they've lost their starting QB. Shut down Chris Johnson and force Ryan Fitzpatrick to beat you. The Titans, much like the Chiefs have feasted on their turnover ratio. They have yet to turn the ball over this season. Pretty impressive 4 games in. Stats aren't updated yet, but I think the Chiefs are sitting at +10 in TO dif. while the Titans are at +9. They've beaten 0-4 Pittsburgh (-11), lost in overtime to Houston (-4), Beat SD (-3), and beat the Jets (-10). The Chiefs have beaten Jax (-4), Dallas (+3), Philly (-2), and NYG (-9). Both teams are practically winning the same way.

However, there are a few differences to these two teams. Tennessee has the 29th ranked offense that will have to square off against a Chiefs defense that is a top 5 unit that is only giving up 10pts/gm and leading the league in sacks... and they'll have to do it with their backup QB.

That's not to say the Titans' defense is horrible. But it's not like they were playing elite offenses like those in the NFC East, either. Todd Haley in Pittsburgh... we know exactly what kind of offense THAT is (28th in yards, 30th in pts). They lost to the only "good" offense they played (Houston 10th yards/16th pts). San Diego is mid pack and NYJ is bottom 3rd. Counter that with Chiefs opponents like Philly who is 2nd in yards and 5th in points or Dallas who is top 10 in both categories as well, and you see a Chiefs defense that has been tested. The Giants are bottom quarter and the Jags are dead last, so take that as you will.

The Chiefs offense is right at league average after the Giants game. They're not going to blow out the the Titan's defense. You can expect a similar performance to what we saw against Dallas. The key to this game is going to be turnovers. I know that's a pretty big key to every game, but for the Chiefs and Titans, it's even more important because that is how both teams have been winning. Can the Titans' offense with back QB Fitzpatrick score enough on a top ranked Chiefs defense if the Chiefs aren't turning the ball over? We've seen the Chiefs score against a good Dallas defense a couple times. The Giants don't have a horrible defensive unit either. The Jets have a really good defense but Geno Smith kept putting them in bad situations and made the game look much worse than it actually was for the Jets defense. Reminded me a lot of what we saw from the Chiefs last season. QB just couldn't stop turning the ball over and just killed the defense. Houston has a great defense as well and the Titans took them to overtime. The Titans have the 29th ranked offense, but they can move and score when they get an opportunity. A big question for them is who's going to be their QB?

Next Sunday, you're going to see a league average Chiefs offense against a top 10 Tennessee defense. You're also going to see a league bottom third Tennessee offense with a new QB against a top 3 Chiefs defense. Again, nothing on that Titans team strikes fear in your heart. Stop Chris Johnson on offense and know where the best safety in the league is on their defense and you can pretty much dictate what you want to do. Going into next Sunday, I EXPECT the Chiefs to win. I was more worried about the last 3 games than I am about the Titans. I don't see Alex Smith and this offense giving the Titans turnovers to prey on. But I also don't see the Titans giving the Chiefs any gifts either. So when you match up offenses v. defenses, I think the Chiefs have a very large advantage.

Take a look at that schedule, Chiefs fans. Things don't get any easier the rest of the season. Oakland is playing well, Houston is always good. Cleveland is suddenly worth noticing. Playing in Buffalo always sucks for the Chiefs. Then Denver, SD, Denver isn't something to look forward to. As good as things may look right now, don't expect the Chiefs to just roll through their schedule and not have any issues. The offense is looking better each week and if the defense can stay healthy, things could get very exciting, but the Chiefs play good teams the rest of the season. Make no mistake.
    Last edited by texaschief; 09-30-2013 at 12:24 AM.

^^"Hey Pioli....., look right here.... Bye"

When Reid was hired, that is exactly what I was thinking. No way was Andy going to put up with a politician like Pioli. A real GM was going to be needed & when I heard it was going to be Dorsey coming from the Packers, I was ecstatic.

The Titans do have me concerned with Fitzpatrick, he shredded us two years in a row when he was with Buffalo (40+ points both games). I think they are beatable, but I'm worried that everyone is focusing on more popular clubs and looking past teams like the Titans.

If our recievers do a better job of helping out Alex Smith when the play breaks down, and if our O-line improves (and overall, despite Fisher being out I do believe the O-line is slowly improving) I think we'll be very competetive, and a big difference maker could be Sutton's aggressive defense playcalling. But I do not want to overlook the Titans.

As long as our def keeps playing thos way amd our offense gets better each week and the line starts gelling then we will be a force against any team. Thats all I want is to see improvement wether we win or lose.

Also I think alex finally got comfortable with our wr to throw deep.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Also I think alex finally got comfortable with our wr to throw deep.
    Exactly!!!! Alex Smith is growing into the offensive scheme. I suspect that despite a few setbacks here and there during the season he will get better with every game all year.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Exactly!!!! Alex Smith is growing into the offensive scheme. I suspect that despite a few setbacks he will get better with every game all year.
    If he does we have a shot at denver

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    If he does we have a shot at denver
    Agreed completely. The 2 regular season games against the donks will be tough, but I think we have a real chance of splitting them. Even if they sweep us in the regular season I can't see them winning if we face them a third time this season. We are getting better every week. Reid says we have "a long way to go". If we keep improving I think we have a legitimate chance of winning a playoff game this year.

Agreed completely. The 2 regular season games against the donks will be tough, but I think we have a real chance of splitting them. Even if they sweep us in the regular season I can't see them winning if we face them a third time this season. We are getting better every week. Reid says we have "a long way to go". If we keep improving I think we have a legitimate chance of winning a playoff game this year.
    Neither can I. Add to that, the Chiefs have owned the Donks in Denver in January.

I had said before that I could see a possible scenario of the Donks winning both games against the Chiefs in the regular season, but the Chiefs getting in as a wildcard & getting a 3rd crack at the Donkeys and beating them when it really counts. The Chiefs have a HC and QB that have playoff experience.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Neither can I. Add to that, the Chiefs have owned the Donks in Denver in January.

I had said before that I could see a possible scenario of the Donks winning both games against the Chiefs in the regular season, but the Chiefs getting in as a wildcard & getting a 3rd crack at the Donkeys and beating them when it really counts. The Chiefs have a HC and QB that have playoff experience.
    YUP! You are the first person that brought up the idea that we might face the donks 3 times this year and I am really warming up to the idea. I've mentioned it several times on a firearms forum I frequent. A 9ers fan there told me at the end of last season that we needed to grab Alex Smith. I think winning the AFC West this year will be a real tough deal, but if we keep improving I can easily see a Wildcard berth. And if we were to face the donks a 3rd time I like our chances.

Of course, I don't need to point out that the Giants won the Superbowl as a Wildcard 2 years ago. Once the playoffs start, the regular season is forgotten and it becomes "Win or go home". The way these Chiefs are playing I'd feel real good about "Win or go home".

YUP! You are the first person that brought up the idea that we might face the donks 3 times this year and I am really warming up to the idea. I've mentioned it several times on a firearms forum I frequent. A 9ers fan there told me at the end of last season that we needed to grab Alex Smith. I think winning the AFC West this year will be a real tough deal, but if we keep improving I can easily see a Wildcard berth. And if we were to face the donks a 3rd time I like our chances.

Of course, I don't need to point out that the Giants won the Superbowl as a Wildcard 2 years ago. Once the playoffs start, the regular season is forgotten and it becomes "Win or go home". The way these Chiefs are playing I'd feel real good about "Win or go home".

Didnt the ravens get in on a wildcard last season? And remember we were the eagles home opener..

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast