Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reevaluating Scott Pioli drafts

Default Reevaluating Scott Pioli drafts

A lot of Chiefs fans think that Scott Pioli didn't draft well. I have never been one to agree. I have said before that the failure that was the Pioli Era was not due to poor talent it was due to the fact that for whatever the reason he couldn't get a good head coach. No one wanted to work with him. They tried to get Jeff Fisher he didn't want to come. Pioli failed because of coaches not talent drafted lets take a look at some of his picks

Justin Houston do I really need to go into detail the guy was a steal

Dontari Poe Like many I hated this pick I didn't want to come close to him. But lets be real he has shown he was a solid pick. In just his 2nd season he has made a ton of progress

Eric Berry I wasn't high on this pick either but he has improved in coverage. And The more I see the more I'm glad he's a Chief

Tyson Jackson This is one of the most talked about picks. Jackson has not lived up to his draft spot but he hasn't been as bad as some would have you think. IMO switch this and Houston and it's pretty even for the production we have gotten out of them. He missed one badly he hit the jackpot on anther makes a wash.

Dexter Mccluster Many many I noticed that I like the guy. He showed last week that he CAN be a weapon. Every great team has a weapon that sure most the time you may not get much from him but any given week he can make an impact on the game. That's Mccluster. Drafted a little higher then he should have been but other teams real close were going to draft him as well.When used right he can be a weapon

Ryan Succop Has been great for this team. The HIGHEST field goal % in Chiefs history. Showed Yesterday he can make some Clutch kicks that are not give mes. And has made a few game winning kicks. I don't think he has ever missed a game winner correct me if I'm wrong

I think we need to give Pioli a small VERY small amount of credit for this season. I would still like to smack him for making us endure Romeo as the head coach might be slightly worse then Herm. But he did add some good peaces to this team. So I will tip my cap to him and give him an ounce of credit for the guys he brought to this team along with locking up Charles and Hali. He did more good then what he gets credit for. All be it he was still a failure he did do some positive
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Grant it! I've long maintained that it was not the talent on the field that was the problem but the lack of a head coach from Haily to Crennel.

I'd agree. Pioli's drafts are looking pretty good right now, his downfall was his selection of head coaches. Mainly his selection of Romeo Crennel. His trade for Cassel also did not work out. But his drafting was pretty good.

Pioli hit on some of his choices, yes. But he misfired on too many others. One has to also consider what Pioli did to try to improve the teams roster when he took over in 2009 versus what Dorsey did to improve the roster when he took over in 2013. It's not even remotely close.

I will grant you that the cupboard was a bit more bare when Pioli took over versus when Dorsey took over, but Pioli wasted too much time playing politician, while Dorsey conducted himself like a real football GM and wasted no time bringing in a solid core of players to bolster the Chiefs roster.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Pioli hit on some of his choices, yes. But he misfired on too many others. One has to also consider what Pioli did to try to improve the teams roster when he took over in 2009 versus what Dorsey did to improve the roster when he took over in 2013. It's not even remotely close.

I will grant you that the cupboard was a bit more bare when Pioli took over versus when Dorsey took over, but Pioli wasted too much time playing politician, while Dorsey conducted himself like a real football GM and wasted no time bringing in a solid core of players to bolster the Chiefs roster.

And That's why he failed. He tried to insist things be ran his way. Sometimes while you add talent it doesn't add together it doesn't fit. Sometimes while a player has a lot of talent there not right for your system. Pioli failed not because he didn't add talent to the team but he tried to force his way on players that it just didn't fit with. While Haley showed some promise as coach eventually it ate away at him and he fell apart because of it. Romeo was just not going to work because he's just not cut for the head coaches role and we were doomed. Pioli deserved much of the blame he got last year I will say that. But not all.

But just like we rightfully put it on Pioli last year and we should have. I think we do need to give him a small nod and some credit for the parts that he added that are helping us win. His drafts were not as great as we all thought coming in they would be but they also weren't as bad as some make it out to be
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I think the real problem with Pioli was his personality, he wanted to be in charge without any doubt, he wanted and had the biggest ego on the team and would not work with a coach that would not put up with it. Veteran players did not want to work for him like Payton not even talking to us.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    And That's why he failed. He tried to insist things be ran his way. Sometimes while you add talent it doesn't add together it doesn't fit. Sometimes while a player has a lot of talent there not right for your system. Pioli failed not because he didn't add talent to the team but he tried to force his way on players that it just didn't fit with. While Haley showed some promise as coach eventually it ate away at him and he fell apart because of it. Romeo was just not going to work because he's just not cut for the head coaches role and we were doomed. Pioli deserved much of the blame he got last year I will say that. But not all.

But just like we rightfully put it on Pioli last year and we should have. I think we do need to give him a small nod and some credit for the parts that he added that are helping us win. His drafts were not as great as we all thought coming in they would be but they also weren't as bad as some make it out to be
    Pioli had way too many issues as GM. You are correct in pointing out that a majority of his draft picks issues were coaching moreso than anything, but the reason why Pioli takes the hit is because of positions he needed to fill (for ex, O-line) vs. what he drafted. It made him come off as a guy who wasn't willing to fix the obvious. King Carl was guilty of that, too. There's a lot of names that weren't on that players list though (Baldwin, Moeaki, Magee) but you know what? King Carl had a lot of those too (Trezelle Jenkins, Slyvester Morris, Percy Snow). Also keep in mind this is NOT the same roster from last year (Reid & Dorsey have changed a lot of names, especially on offense and special teams.) The ones that are left from the Pioli era are pretty much the cream of the crop!

Where Pioli gets his own special basement locker is a lot of the things that happened in combination with not fixing the obvious. He couldn't take anything unless it spent time in NE. The story that broke in the KC star from former Chiefs employees. The fact that players seemed to avoid him like that plague in free agency. Stories about phone tapping and wiretaps. Getting flat out ignored by a respected head coach (Fisher) and QB (Manning). All things considered, Reid's been pretty patient with a lot of the talent he drafted (for ex. Moeaki)

When talking Pioli you must consider what he did for re-signing as well. He did do a lot for this team by re-signing key players to long contracts. His coaches were always the problem. All of our players offensive/defensive became that much better with just Andy and his coaching staff coming in and putting them in place to be elite. You'd be surprised with the same player, what a change in attitude can do for you and that's what a coaches job is really!

Jist think if this season was last year we could jave landed manning.

Pioli problem is not in scouting talent. Ot was his demeanor and ego amd paranoia. And not willing to admit cassel was a mistake. Im not talking about takeing a chance on him bit once you realize you made a mistake own up and make.a.change at qb. No ex chiefs would or could come around anymore. Ot was just a negitive atmosphere and it bleed into the team. Im not saying haley was going to.he good but I really do feel like haley got screwed by pioli. He gets fired amd then the team doesnt want to pay him the rest he was owed. I think haley is the main reason hunt changed the order that both coach amd gm reports to him. Pioli screwed haley over amd haley couldnt work for pioli anymore.

Coach crennel was the only option that pioli had cuz no one would work for him. So his mistake was jot hiring crennel cuz that was hos only option amd no one wanted to tell mr hunt the truth or he just didnt want to believe his gm was a cancer.

Pioli=cancer

Hiring the coaches was Pioli's job so don't gete wrong, I do believe Pioli was the problem but he did put good talent on this team and he wasn't one to trade away our stars either

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast