Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Injury update

Default Injury update

Kelce had arthroscopic surgery on his knee & may be lost for the year -- that's bad news.

Eric Fisher returned to practice today -- that's good news.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...s-out-practice

I wish those idiotic columnists over at nfl.com would quit making Fisher out to be some sort of scapegoat. FFS, he hasn't played 4 full games, is playing out of position, and he isn't the only player on the Chiefs O-Line to have struggles from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    You called?

So, arthroscopic surgery just means that they put a camera in his knee and looked around. It could have been just that (a look around) or something as major as a ligament, meniscus or cartilage repair. The arthroscopy alone without anything else (extremely rare) would oonly put you down for a couple weeks as you wait for the swelling to resolve. If they repaired or cut anything, that could be weeks to months. I haven't heard anything specific about him other than he had a bone bruise earlier in the season. I suspect that they were afraid that bone bruise also had some cartilage damage and went in for a check. If that is the case, he would be down for anywhere from 6 wks if they just cleaned up the frayed edges, to 3 months if they had to do something like microfracture.

I will try to find out some specific info on his surgery and get back to you guys.
    Thanks for the info.

In the link that brdempsy69 provided (above) they did say something about a microfracture.

Yesterday, Dr. Barnthouse finally did an arthroscopic surgery on his knee and he did find that he did have a spot in his cartilage, in his articular cartilage, at the end of his femur bone. It didn’t show up on the MRI, but when they went in with the scope, he can see it. That spot in his knee is in a non-weight bearing area and that’s why he could run without pain, but he couldn’t get in and out of his stance; that needed to have a micro-fracture procedure. So, right now, he just came back to us today to start the rehab. We’ll let (Chiefs GM) John Dorsey and coach Reid decide what his future is with the team, in terms of this year and practices and games and we’ll continue to rehab and try to get that knee quieted down."
    so that's not good news.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

No, that is not good news regarding Kelce and it'll most likely mean we won't see him again until the 2014 season. The good thing is he can recover from it, but it won't happen this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Thanks for the info.

In the link that brdempsy69 provided (above) they did say something about a microfracture.

so that's not good news.
    I probably should have read the article before commenting ...
    Anyways, micro fracture is basically where they drill holes in the bone where there is no cartilage. The idea being that it will cause leakage of blood, bone marrow into the joint. The holes will form a bloody clot, which will eventually turn into scar tissue that somewhat resembles cartilage. It is by no means as good as cartilage (cartilage is one of those parts of the body that does not regret once it is damaged in adulthood). This can give patients good relief.
    The good news is that it is on a non-weight bearing surface, which means he can walk (and maybe run/workout, etc) while he is recovering and the likelihood of this being a successful procedure is high. The bad news is that it takes a month or two before you can start stressing the micro fractured surface. Athletes tend to be put through the recovery process faster than "normal" people, but I would say that he is out at least 6-8 weeks.

Adam Teicher@adamteicher1h
    Charles and Houston back to practice today for chiefs.

Saw this thought i would share the good news
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Adam Teicher@adamteicher1h
    Charles and Houston back to practice today for chiefs.

Saw this thought i would share the good news
    Very good news indeed!

looks like no Fasano this week again

My understanding is that Houston was only cleared to practice but was not cleared to play Sunday. We will really need him against the Raiders.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 10-10-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rodu View Post
    looks like no Fasano this week again
    What is so secret about his injury?! We never hear anything about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    What is so secret about his injury?! We never hear anything about it!
    it's ankle and knee, maybe it's not serious, but one of those slow healing nagging types

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123